Redoing coaxials - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-23-2011, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a new antenna. The quality of the signal is fine at the 1st TV / PC Tuner in our bedroom. Then it passes around 30 ft thourgh the house and just a few channels are not available.

I already have a 15db amplifier.

I had in mind to replace the RG-59 calb with RG-6.

Would it be really useful?

Is it better to use an assembled 25 ft cable for a 15 ft distance instead of using bulk, cutting my lenghts and install connectors? If so, do I need a special coaxial crimper?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-23-2011, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:

Is it better to use an assembled 25 ft cable for a 15 ft distance instead of using bulk, cutting my lenghts and install connectors? If so, do I need a special coaxial crimper?

Do you have any experience cutting in connectors? If not, go with the ready made cable....
post #3 of 5 Old 10-31-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post

I have a new antenna. The quality of the signal is fine at the 1st TV / PC Tuner in our bedroom. Then it passes around 30 ft thourgh the house and just a few channels are not available.

There is a a lot wrong or a lot left out with this config.
You shouldnt need an additional 15db of power to the outlets in most configurations.
You also shouldnt "loose" channels through 30' of cable. ( 500.. maybe.. not 30)

I would go to a local cable office ( they are far and few these days..) and see if you can get a premade one or one cut to length for you. For free. Free is great.
If not I would get a service call. Maybe getting the set up a little more efficient would give you a little more piece of mind.
Post back if you need any more help.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-01-2011, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by CableTool View Post

I would go to a local cable office ( they are far and few these days..) and see if you can get a premade one or one cut to length for you. For free. Free is great.
If not I would get a service call. Maybe getting the set up a little more efficient would give you a little more piece of mind.
Post back if you need any more help.

I highly doubt that a cable company office would make custom cables for non-customers. OP stated that they have a new antenna, which leads me to believe they are not using cable company services.

I have had good luck with non-crimp cable connectors you can get at Home Depot. They have threaded insides, and you just twist the coax into the threads to make the connection.

Plus, it is a lot easier to pull coax without the connectors on it.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #5 of 5 Old 11-01-2011, 10:00 AM

My bad. This is embarrassing. Popping into different forums in my downtime I just assumed this was cable related.
My post is pretty useless then considering I was basing it off of Cable signal strength and configurations!

I think the loss however and AMP issue remains. And in regards to Antennae and digital freqs I would still take some time and invest in a good crimp on connector as opposed to the twist on brands.
Regardless of what signal you are working with in regards to RF Isolation is still pretty important.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page