Looking for a converter please help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-15-2012, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

So I am faced with an issue which is stopping me from watching cable tv. So I have cable Internet at home, and when I plug the cable behind my tv (without any receiver or cable box) I get all the analog channels. I bought the ps3 3d tv, and it does not have the input to connect the cable tv wire. It only has 2 hdmi and a component input. I need a converter or something where I can plugin the cable tv wire and get an output to hdmi or component, which I can plug into the PS3 3D tv. If anyone please help me resolve this issue, I'd be grateful. Please not I am not interested in calling my cable service to get a receiver because I am not paying for cable tv subscription. The channels automatically comes because I have cable Internet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
nafi, weird that sony could call it a TV since it does evidently lack the tuner ! it's a 3d-monitor apparently, not a 3dTV.
In any case, to solve/answer the problem as well as increase functionality I suggest you take a look at Moxi 3-tuner DVR or the newest channelmaster DVR. (not the 7000/antenna-only - the newer one which supports both cable and antenna.)
post #3 of 9 Old 01-15-2012, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Hello,
Thanks for your reply. The turner looks great; however, I'm not looking for something that expensive or loaded with much feature. I'm trying to spend as little money possible to get just a basic tuner with an output option of hdmi or component. $799 is too much. I don't need anyyy extra functionality or such. Just a basic tuner.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-15-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafizur View Post

I don't need anyyy extra functionality or such. Just a basic tuner.

They don't really make them anymore, at least not in analog form.

You can use a DVD recorder. They have analog tuners and HDMI/component out. Just don't use the DVD function.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #5 of 9 Old 01-15-2012, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132

One of the least expensive tuner options is the Magnavox MDR515 HDD/DVD recorder, $199 refurb'd from excellent source, J&R.

J&R usually also has the MDR513 at $169 but out of stock at current time. They'll prob. get another batch if you can wait. Here's the link to those which you can check every so often.

post #6 of 9 Old 01-16-2012, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
You can purchase a device with a tuner but you won't get any HD.
I don't know who your cable company is so those channels that you are seeing today could suddenly go away without any warning if your cable-co goes all digital.
So I would invest as little as possible!!
post #7 of 9 Old 01-16-2012, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafizur View Post

Please not I am not interested in calling my cable service to get a receiver because I am not paying for cable tv subscription. The channels automatically comes because I have cable Internet.

Don't count on receiving those extra channels indefinitely. Cable operators do sometimes audit individual accounts, and could send out a tech to install a filter on your line to block access to some (if not all) of the TV frequencies.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-17-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
If your set does not have a built-in tuner capable of QAM tuning, you'll need to buy some sort of full-blown stand-alone HD tuner.
Even so, the only channels sent in (un-encrypted) Clear QAM are usually local channels, a very few public-interest channels, and a few shopping channels. You won't get the usual "Cable" networks.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #9 of 9 Old 01-18-2012, 03:07 PM

Kworld makes a couple of tuner boxes that have an atsc/qam tuner and also output in hi-def. The KW-SA290-Q LE outputs through component cables and costs around $70, and the KW-SA295-Q DE outputs through an hdmi cable and costs around $100. You can find them on amazon or ebay. With the qam tuner you can get any unencrypted digital channels that your cable company puts out. Usually these channels will be the local broadcast channels and the community access channels only.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page