Cable box changing channels on its own - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-17-2012, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I have a digital Motorola STB (forgot the model right now, maybe 5200 or 5400, but its not HD) from TWC LA. On occasion, there will be a message displayed on screen to press OK/Select to continue viewing the current channel. If I don't click OK/Select with the remote, then the channel reverts to the one prior to the current. You can see what a hassle this is if I'm recording to a PVR and am not present at the time. A TWC cable tech is sending someone to look at the connection/coax/signal which seems reasonable to me. Any idea what causes this or how to avert the in-house visitation? Also, there are 3 boxes in my house, two of which the tech said are receiving low signals. All three TVs to the boxes have coax splitters as each has a PVR.

Arvy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-17-2012, 10:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 59
It sounds like the box is activating a channel reminder feature, as if you set a reminder to switch to the previous channel. Usually it's so you can set the box to switch to a future program just before it starts airing.

But if you didn't set it, sounds like the box has a glitch that is causing it to do it on its own. I'd see if you can't swap the box out.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #3 of 7 Old 01-18-2012, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I don't use the reminder much, if at all, on that particular TV/STB and think it's more related to the signal strength OR the PVR attached to it. The tech is visiting tomorrow so maybe hopefully possibly perhaps it will be fixed. I surely will ask for a box exchange although it's doubtful the tech can replicate any instance. It happens only occassionally and I haven't tracked what time or channels are affected most.

Arvy
post #4 of 7 Old 01-19-2012, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, fyi for everyone (and I knew it but didn't know it)... TWC put switched digital into place for a number of digital channels a couple months agio. That coincided with when my problems started, too. So, there's no signal problem, no cable box problem, just a jumble of digital channels that decide to switch to other programming at will depending on some mad scientists' algorithms and the moon phases. The tech suggested I live with it, there's nothing he can do, or change providers.

Arvy
post #5 of 7 Old 01-25-2012, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Yes If that is the attitude I would change providers if possible!!
post #6 of 7 Old 02-03-2012, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Are you seeing this more often in peak demand times? Like when most people get home after work?
post #7 of 7 Old 02-03-2012, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJERK View Post

Are you seeing this more often in peak demand times? Like when most people get home after work?

I didn't really notice and should have looked. These were all instances of recorded shows on a DVR mostly with TCM, HLMK, FMC, and some ENC channels. I also didn't ask if these channels are switched digital either. The occurances have subsides and alomst dropped completely I think because of how the shows were being recorded. There were times I would schedule several movies in a row and invariably one or two would change channels near the end. I'm trying to leave a space in time between recordings now. It's just a hunch on my part, though.

Arvy
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page