Whatever happened to Tru2way technology - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-07-2012, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have some TiVos with cable cards installed. For the most part, all works good. I don't get on-Demand programming (normal), but have been reading some info about Tru2way technology.

It appears it was developed back in 2008 & suppose to solve the issue of being able to get On-Demand and PPV on customer own equipment (like TiVO or Moxi DVRs).

Whatever happened to this technology? Was it essentially killed? It sounded like the cable companies were behind it more than the current cable cards, but I don't see any equipment utilizing it. Just curious.

"It Never Ends"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-07-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
I thought I remembered hearing that TiVo is currently working on allowing On-Demand, but I don't know where the whole thing's at right now.

Somebody oughta know something over in the TiVo threads in the "HDTV Recorders" forum here.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-07-2012, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Yea, I have several TiVos (one with cable cards) and am aware of their products. There are cable companies out there (Charter, Comcast, etc.) that have their own converter boxes with an integrated TiVo user interface & software. They can then offer On-Demand & PPV, but they are limited in other popular features (No Netflix or Hulu) like regular consumer TiVos have.

I was hoping there are still plans for true2way technology to be used in a consumer based DVR of some kind (& not in a cable company owned DVR)

"It Never Ends"
post #4 of 6 Old 02-08-2012, 01:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post

I was hoping there are still plans for true2way technology to be used in a consumer based DVR of some kind (& not in a cable company owned DVR)

I actually was talking about their standalone DVR's.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-08-2012, 10:23 AM

CableLabs' tru2way is the technology that Comcast uses (and many other Network companies all over the world). Tru2Way is Java based programming framework. In addition, At&t U-verse uses Microsoft MediaRoom framework.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-17-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post

Tru2Way is pretty cool. The only thing that halted it was the fact that no one, including TIVO created a Consumer Model to slide that neat little card into.

Panasonic came out with a TV model that was used but Im not even sure if you could still get one. One one bought em... which may lead to why no other manufacturer jumped on the bandwagon.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page