Quality Replacement Fios Battery? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-13-2012, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Could anyone recommend a good battery for the Fios battery backup? I replaced the original battery with one of the $20 batteries sold on Amazon and now in less than 2 years it is beeping again. I don't mind spending more to get a quality battery, but I can't seem to find anything to point me to that quality battery. Everything I find looks like the same cheap Chinese batteries from random vendors. Anyone find a battery that lasts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-13-2012, 06:43 AM

Liked: 32
2 years is about right for the battery. How many times have you lost power in those two years? Check with local battery shop like Batteries Plus, or contact Verizon tech's through the direct forum on dslreports.com to see if they would replace without you buying.

I see no need for a customer to buy something that they are leasing any from a company, such as a battery for backup.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-13-2012, 06:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 315
post #4 of 7 Old 02-13-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynolds View Post

Could anyone recommend a good battery for the Fios battery backup? I replaced the original battery with one of the $20 batteries sold on Amazon and now in less than 2 years it is beeping again. I don't mind spending more to get a quality battery, but I can't seem to find anything to point me to that quality battery. Everything I find looks like the same cheap Chinese batteries from random vendors. Anyone find a battery that lasts?

I have replaced mine with one from MSC. Not sure if the difference is where they are made. The ones from MSC are made in India.

But, I think, that 2-3 years is probably what these lead acid batteries are good for.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #5 of 7 Old 02-13-2012, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
The original battery that Verizon provided ran for 3 years. We don't lose power very often, and when we do it, typically isn't for very long, so there was no noticeable increase in demand placed on this battery compared to the 1st one.

On the Amazon product page, I am not the only one disappointed in this particular battery's lifespan. Maybe I just can't do any better, but I figured I would see if anyone on AVS had found something. It seems your choices online are the Verizon sanctioned replacement, or the random generic lead-acid battery like what I bought. I do have a battery shop near my house, I think I'll check them out this week.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-13-2012, 01:01 PM

Liked: 32
Two to three years is typical of a battery, when placed under continuous use, whether it is in stand by or being used. They are not lifetime products, and considered disposable goods.

When I had a emt through Comcast, I removed the battery after we got rid of the phone service, due to we never lose power, and if we do, it is less than an hour, but can be longer in rare occurrences, in the case that we had a ice storm in the past six years, and a tornado around the same time.

Some people have forgone the built in battery, and started to use UPS systems instead, so that they can get longer time out of them. You really may not be able to find any pricing lower than you could locally with the battery shop in your town, but sometimes they are higher than you can purchase the unit online.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-14-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Two to three years is typical of a battery, when placed under continuous use, whether it is in stand by or being used. They are not lifetime products, and considered disposable goods.

When I had a emt through Comcast, I removed the battery after we got rid of the phone service, due to we never lose power, and if we do, it is less than an hour, but can be longer in rare occurrences, in the case that we had a ice storm in the past six years, and a tornado around the same time.

Some people have forgone the built in battery, and started to use UPS systems instead, so that they can get longer time out of them. You really may not be able to find any pricing lower than you could locally with the battery shop in your town, but sometimes they are higher than you can purchase the unit online.

We actually put our ONT on a back-UPS, since the built in battery only powers the phone, but not TV or Internet portion of FiOS.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page