One Cable box, two TVs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 02-16-2012, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I am trying to use to configure so that I can use one cable box for watching in two TVs. Below is a diagram that approximately maps out the components.

As you can see the digital cable box (from cablevision) is in the basement. I use a signal splitter right outside the cablebox to run a coaxial to watch the programs in TV upstairs. I have two problems in this setup.

1) I dont get the HD quality in TV upstairs. Is it the splitter fault or the coaxial fault or is the distance too long (it is 75 feet).
2) I have a RF remote that comes with the Hometheater downstairs which I am carrying back and forth between upstairs and basement. Can I buy a separate RF remote and use it upstairs to control the cablebox in the basement?

Secondly I also have a Dish Network box upstairs for watching International channels. I am running Coaxial cable from this box to basement and use their TV2 to control the channels. While I can hook the coaxial cable directly into the TV, I prefer to hook it up to the home theater receiver which accepts HDMI, Composite or AV. Is there a converter that I can use from Coaxial to either of these three?

Any help is highly appreciated!

Aravind.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 02-16-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 80
So you have a dish AND cable? I also don't understand how you have a splitter after the cable box
post #3 of 26 Old 02-16-2012, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

So you have a dish AND cable? I also don't understand how you have a splitter after the cable box

Yes, a cable because of the triplepack and a dish so I can get all the international channels.

I am using a splitter after the cable box so I can get the descrambled signal to the second TV. I did this after seeing this suggestion elsewhere. Let me know if there are better ways to do this.
post #4 of 26 Old 02-16-2012, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
If you are using the coaxial out from the cable box you will not get HD. Is the splitter also connected to the cable from the street. If not what is the splitter for?
post #5 of 26 Old 02-17-2012, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter

Splitter is used to split the descrambled signal that comes out of the cable box. It is not connected to the street.
post #6 of 26 Old 02-17-2012, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Splitter is used to split the descrambled signal that comes out of the cable box. It is not connected to the street

I also don't see the reason for the splitter!
If the Cable STB is feeding the downstairs TV with HDMI and the upstairs TV with coax (and as stated tou won't get HD doing this) what is the other leg of the splitter doing?
post #7 of 26 Old 02-17-2012, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCbridge View Post

I also don't see the reason for the splitter!
If the Cable STB is feeding the downstairs TV with HDMI and the upstairs TV with coax (and as stated tou won't get HD doing this) what is the other leg of the splitter doing?

Good point! I put a splitter just in case if I decide to add another TV in the bedroom in the future.
post #8 of 26 Old 02-17-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Makes more sense now.
post #9 of 26 Old 02-17-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
As stated above, you will ONLY get HD if you use HDMI or Component, not coaxial. You could try running HDMI to one tv, and Component to the second, but usually cable boxes will only output one or the other at one time.
post #10 of 26 Old 02-17-2012, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

I see some people use powered amplifier to boost the coaxial signal. Would that help in my situation?
post #11 of 26 Old 02-17-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Help what? A power amplifier will not make the signal HD. You gave no indication that the signal is weak. The first thing you need to do is remove the splitter.
post #12 of 26 Old 02-17-2012, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI Guy View Post

Help what? A power amplifier will not make the signal HD. You gave no indication that the signal is weak. The first thing you need to do is remove the splitter.

Can I use a HDMI splitter instead?
post #13 of 26 Old 02-17-2012, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

If you use an HDMI splitter you will need to get an HDMI cable from the cable box to the upstairs TV. How long is that run and can that be accomplished?
post #14 of 26 Old 02-17-2012, 10:45 PM

Liked: 32
If you are wanting to be able to watch either catv or sat. from either tv, you need the proper equipment. That means using a a/b switch along with rf remote, that either tv can choose the input from their location. That would mean that both would go into the switching device, then you would have runs going to both locations.

It really depends on your budget and how much you are willing to spend, to do it correctly.
post #15 of 26 Old 02-18-2012, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If you use an HDMI splitter you will need to get an HDMI cable from the cable box to the upstairs TV. How long is that run and can that be accomplished?

It is about 75' run from basement to upstairs.
post #16 of 26 Old 02-18-2012, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

If you are wanting to be able to watch either catv or sat. from either tv, you need the proper equipment. That means using a a/b switch along with rf remote, that either tv can choose the input from their location. That would mean that both would go into the switching device, then you would have runs going to both locations.

It really depends on your budget and how much you are willing to spend, to do it correctly.

Right now, I don't have a budget in mind. Can you suggest how this can be accomplished?
post #17 of 26 Old 02-18-2012, 08:47 AM

Liked: 32
I already did for part of the solution. There are a couple of solutions out there for a/v distribution, for whole house, but depends on how much you are willing to spend to make it work.
post #18 of 26 Old 02-21-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 67
You need something similar to what we have, a PC running cable decryption, and then we distribute the decrypted cable TV to 5 TV's in the house. Each TV has the ability to view all of the channels and independently from other TV's. Visit the HTPC forum for ideas.

You are looking at a $200 quad CableCard tuner, and $300 PC to do this, plus, you can connect your dish feed via component to the HTPC, and integrate it into the whole house TV distribution system.

Add $100 for a Media Center extender for each additional TV.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #19 of 26 Old 02-22-2012, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

You need something similar to what we have, a PC running cable decryption, and then we distribute the decrypted cable TV to 5 TV's in the house. Each TV has the ability to view all of the channels and independently from other TV's. Visit the HTPC forum for ideas.

You are looking at a $200 quad CableCard tuner, and $300 PC to do this, plus, you can connect your dish feed via component to the HTPC, and integrate it into the whole house TV distribution system.

Add $100 for a Media Center extender for each additional TV.

!! This is the kind of solution that would perfectly fits my need. Thanks for the suggestion !!
post #20 of 26 Old 03-03-2012, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Hello,

I am back. So taken this suggestion above and trying to setup a dedicated PC with a cablecard tuner. Now what are some $100 media center extenders that you can suggest?

Also, in this kind of setup, is it the HD video that gets streamed on the network? Does the media center extenders come with HDMI output?
post #21 of 26 Old 03-05-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Why not just add a second Cable box?

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #22 of 26 Old 03-05-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindk View Post

Hello,

I am back. So taken this suggestion above and trying to setup a dedicated PC with a cablecard tuner. Now what are some $100 media center extenders that you can suggest?

Also, in this kind of setup, is it the HD video that gets streamed on the network? Does the media center extenders come with HDMI output?

Ebay is the place.

Look for Linksys DMA 2100, DMA 2200, HP X280N, D-Link G-750, or XBOX with a broken DVD drive.

All of the extenders listed above have HDMI output.

I prefer Linksys, since their remotes can learn TV functions, but you can always use a cheap Harmony 200 remote and achieve the same.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #23 of 26 Old 03-05-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish View Post

Why not just add a second Cable box?

If there are free cable boxes, yeah, it would have been easier. But, alas, cable companies are not in the business to give out free cable boxes. They usually charge close to $10/month ($120/year) to get a crippled cable box.

With a CableCard and a tuner, one can have up to 6 channels unlocked for either free, or minimal fee (under $4/month) and stream the unlocked content to other TV's in the house.

CableCard at $2.50/month = $30/year for up to 6 simultaneous channels.
To achieve the same with cable boxes, one would have to rent 6 cable boxes at $720/year.

Add the ability to DVR, and cable company solution becomes even more expensive.

post #24 of 26 Old 03-05-2012, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

Ebay is the place.

Look for Linksys DMA 2100, DMA 2200, HP X280N, D-Link G-750, or XBOX with a broken DVD drive.

All of the extenders listed above have HDMI output.

I prefer Linksys, since their remotes can learn TV functions, but you can always use a cheap Harmony 200 remote and achieve the same.

Hi, many thanks for the response. Will start looking...
post #25 of 26 Old 03-06-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

To achieve the same with cable boxes, one would have to rent 6 cable boxes at $720/year. Why would he need 6 cable boxes for two TV's. Just put a cable box near each TV. About $120 per year.
post #26 of 26 Old 03-06-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To achieve the same with cable boxes, one would have to rent 6 cable boxes at $720/year. Why would he need 6 cable boxes for two TV's. Just put a cable box near each TV. About $120 per year.

First of all, consider your self lucky if your provider offers cable boxes for $5/month, most are $10/month to rent which with 2 TV's comes out to $240/year.

Does the equipment that costs $240/year allow for time shift, recording, and scheduled recordings?

The answer is: NO

To get the ability to record, one would have to rent a DVR ($20/month) and a box ($10/month) and only have the ability to record 2 channels at once, and watch another on the Box for $360/year.

A quad tuner is $199, triple tuner is $170, and dual tuner is $130. A computer that has the horsepower to do this is about $300.

For $600 investment, one can have ability to record 4 channels at once, and ability to stream decrypted content to other TV's with no additional monthly fee.

Once you consider that typical life of a PC is 5-10 years, the $600 initial investment pays off in less than 1.5 years ($360/year to rent DVR and a Box from provider).

In addition, HTPC allows one to use free HULU service (no need for HULU+ since it is a PC after all), as well as a myriad of internet TV station, all with a click or a remote. And not to mention unlimited storage, and user gets to keep the recordings if they switch service providers.

Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page