TWC Digital TV - VHS/DVD combo - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-06-2012, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Our TWC folks say it's aok if we VHS or DVD movies for playback later.

We have Digital TV/cable box for bedroom, our other two TVs continue with Standard Cable analog running to both vhs/dvd combo and TV using Radio Shack amps. We have Panasonic DMR-EZ48V vhs/dvd combo w/tuner for each of our 3 TV areas.

The Digital TV "area" uses Motorola DCX3200M-P2 cable box; TW dudes added a splitter between wall jack and cable box. We can use normal analog or digital TV. Cable box has RGB/AudioRL to TV. We connected S-Video CblBx out to VHS/DVD combo in. We connected Digital Audio CblBx out to Radio Shack DigitalToAnalog converter which connects RCA red/white RL into Panasonic combo RCA/RL Audio In.

We have no problem recording and later watching any TW Standard Cable [analog] channel such as TCM, AMC, FX, SyFy, etc. Because nothing ever leaves the apartment, TWC has no problem with us at all.
When we try to record any Digital TV channel - we get the blue box saying recording cannot be done.

My real question: Scientific-Atlanta 4240HDC has the same cable-coax, the same RCA outputs, matching Panasonic combo cable-coax and RCA inputs. Would installing Scientific-Atlanta 4240HDC and removing Motorola DCX3200M-P2 solve our DigitalTV recording/playback problem?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, advice!

Roland

Tried writing and proof-reading my autobiography, fell asleep too often. --RolandDangerfield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-06-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
So you have no problem recording from the coax input on the recorder, but you do have a problem recording off the line (s-video) input. First off, are you sure the recorder is set to the right input? Sometimes, Input one will be the rca inputs, and the s-video input will be input 2 or just called s-video. Also, try connecting the yellow composite video directly to the recorder and see if that works.

Also, is this an HD or SD cable box?
post #3 of 6 Old 04-06-2012, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

So you have no problem recording from the coax input on the recorder, but you do have a problem recording off the line (s-video) input. First off, are you sure the recorder is set to the right input? Sometimes, Input one will be the rca inputs, and the s-video input will be input 2 or just called s-video. Also, try connecting the yellow composite video directly to the recorder and see if that works. Also, is this an HD or SD cable box? --sitlet

Our regular analog setups work fine.
I failed to mention Motorola cblbx and Panasonic combo can only be connected via S-video and DigitalAudio[outCblbx]-ToConverter[**]-ToRCA/RL[comboIn]. Only the Scientific-Atlanta cablebox has the coax and RCA outputs that matches Panasonic Coax and RCA inputs.
Combo has no yellow composite video input.
Motorola cblbx is HD cblbx;
?maybe the aforementioned ScientificAtlanta is an SD cblbx?
[**] - this is the Digital Audio In-TO-RCA Analog Out converter
Roland

Tried writing and proof-reading my autobiography, fell asleep too often. --RolandDangerfield
post #4 of 6 Old 04-06-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Have you tried disconnecting the moto stb from the tv and then try to record? I know some stb's won't allow HDMI and analog outputs hot at the same time. maybe this moto box won't allow component and s-video to be hot at the same time?
post #5 of 6 Old 04-06-2012, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

Have you tried disconnecting the moto stb from the tv and then try to record? I know some stb's won't allow HDMI and analog outputs hot at the same time. maybe this moto box won't allow component and s-video to be hot at the same time?

Ah, we did that earlier. Nada, zip, nothing appeared. Put back RGB to TV, AV to recorder happened again
We have to go to somewhere, be back tonight.
Roland

post #6 of 6 Old 04-07-2012, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

We replaced Motorola with Scientific-Atlanta. This particular unit doesn't repond to the remote, so after Easter, we'll simply swap for another.
Since a neighbor's identical unit worked great with our combo, it's just a matter of time and later - a little "remote-marriage," settings tweaking - everything should work jst fine.
Roland

Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page