Audio dropouts on some TWC channels - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-06-2012, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am running a Tivo Premiere (with cablecard) on Time Warner Cable here in San Diego. It is connected to a Denon 591 receiver via component video and digital-optical audio, i.e., this is not an HDMI handshake issue.

For as long as I've had service the HD version of TBS (ch 712, for me) has had intemittent drop-outs. I assumed it was a problem in their incoming feed from TBS or whomever. But now I've added HBO and Showtime and they're doing it, too. I had a cable guy come out and, of course, he blamed my equipment. As proof he asked me to connect the Tivo directly to my TV -- no dropouts. So he said that either my Tivo was flaky or my receiver (or both). I can also 'fix' the problem by setting my Tivo to output PCM/stereo instead of Dolby Digital.

Well I still think it's the cable/signal. If it were either piece of equipment, wouldn't I have problems with other channels or with pre-recorded material? (I don't.) Also, the dropouts are present in recordings and in the same place.
-----------
One extra bit of info: I activated the Signal Strength Meter in my Tivo settings and all the affected channels show much higher signals than the other (correctly working) channels. So is it possible that all the bad channels are on a separate transmitter or amplifier? (Hence the different signal strengths.) Or, are all my channels transmitted identically?

This would make more sense if only the new channels were affected, since some of them now require the external tuning-adapter. But the problems are definitely on non-TA channels.

Hopefully someone here will recognize these symptoms and give me something to argue against TWC? Thank you for any suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-09-2012, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

FYI
I now realize that the TBS channel is encrypted. So maybe this is a problem with Tivo's software, after all, and related to recording encrypted channels.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-06-2012, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just wondering if you ever got anywhere with Time Warner or Tivo? I'm having the same issue with the same equipment, but with AMC and MTV. It seems clear to me that it has something to do with either the cable card or the incoming signal, but I'm sure that the TWC service person will blame it on my equipment as well. And yes, it does go away when routed through the tv, but that adds another cable.
post #4 of 5 Old 06-07-2012, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sorry, no, I've just been putting-up with it.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-29-2012, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It isn't the TIVO, it's most likely your receiver. I had the same prolem and the same result from TWC coming out. Everything pointed to my receiver (a Denon A1910 - a fairly new model). I figured the audio drop outs had something to do with an audio internal setting. I went through all the parameters and changed them one by one. What I found is that my receiver has a setting for "Dynamic Equalization." It's purpose is to adjust the equalization based on the input signal. Turning this off fixed my audio dropout problem (which I only had on two HD stations). My guess is that this function requires a lot of processor power or chaching of info and just can't keep up. Why on only a couple a stations - beats me. I think the lack of standards, or adherence to standards, is still an issue with broadcasters, cable companies and electronics manufacturers - even good ones.

So, if connecting you DVR directly to the TV fixes the problem then you need to find the receiver audio parameter tha is causing the problem. I suggest looking for parameters that "automatically makes adjustments" first and turn them off.

Good luck.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page