Comcast Cablecard Fee - billing question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-10-2012, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

What are you guys paying for your comcast cable cards? Am I getting ripped off? Can someone check out the pic attached and see my bill and give their thoughts....

$9.25 per card seems crazy..

thanks

South Jersey Comcast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-11-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I think the first one is free, the addiitonal ones may be more.

But, it is not real $9.25 per card, it is $9.25 - $2.50 = $6.75 per card, since you are getting $2.50 back for your equipment.

Why do you need 3 CableCards? Each card is capable of decrypting 6 streams at once. Get a device that utilizes CableCard's full potential.

We rent 1 CableCard and it serves 5 TV's. All function independantly from each other.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #3 of 6 Old 04-11-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

I think the first one is free, the addiitonal ones may be more.

But, it is not real $9.25 per card, it is $9.25 - $2.50 = $6.75 per card, since you are getting $2.50 back for your equipment.

Why do you need 3 CableCards? Each card is capable of decrypting 6 streams at once. Get a device that utilizes CableCard's full potential.

We rent 1 CableCard and it serves 5 TV's. All function independantly from each other.

What do you do-swap the cablecard in and out of your equipment when you want to watch something?

Comcast in general requires pairing the cablecard to a particular hardware device, so its not feasible to swap cards. If you have multiple tuners, you need multiple cablecards.

Back to the card cost. I pay 0 for the first card, and something like $2 for each additional card after the consumer owned equipment rebate. I have several Tivo's and TV's with CC's and have something like 5 cablecards-most operating in single stream mode.

Good luck.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-11-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

What do you do-swap the cablecard in and out of your equipment when you want to watch something?

He most likely is running a HTPC with multiple Xbox 360's (or some other WMC extender boxes). One card would be able to do that without any problems. Lower start-up costs than multiple Tivo's and their lifetime fees and lower monthly costs due to having less cable cards.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-11-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

Comcast in general requires pairing the cablecard to a particular hardware device, so its not feasible to swap cards. If you have multiple tuners, you need multiple cablecards.

Back to the card cost. I pay 0 for the first card, and something like $2 for each additional card after the consumer owned equipment rebate. I have several Tivo's and TV's with CC's and have something like 5 cablecards-most operating in single stream mode.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

He most likely is running a HTPC with multiple Xbox 360's (or some other WMC extender boxes). One card would be able to do that without any problems. Lower start-up costs than multiple Tivo's and their lifetime fees and lower monthly costs due to having less cable cards.

Yup, Windows 7 HTPC with Ceton InfiniTV4 and additional 4 QAM tuners, 1 Cable Card and 8 tuners total between 5 TV's connected through the home network.

Each TV acts as its own DVR, but with ability to view, record, and schedule from any TV in the house. Plus it pulls all of our digital content (movies, music, pictures, videos) from the server, and you can play it on any TV with just a remote.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #6 of 6 Old 04-22-2012, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The 9.25 is the "additional outlet" fee. They are not technically charging you for the card, just the outlet it is using. Not sure what the 1.15 cablecard charge is, unless you have two cards in one device.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page