Am I gettin correct formation from Cox? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-29-2012, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Recently, when my Cox Communications cable service realigned some channels, I lost HD service to some key sports channels I enjoy. I receive the audio stream, but not the video. This problem only happened with the channel changes (moving HD from 700s to 1000s channel numbers). First a little technical background on my equipment.

I have a circa 2004 Mits CRT "big box" set that uses a cable card. I have had all known software updates to the card. Call me stubborn, but I believe when you purchase a TV, you shouldn't have to rent a outboard tuner for the rest of your life... However, that's another rant, back to the reception issue...

After replacing my one-way cable card, and trying to get a two-way card to work, the technician now says that it is a native format issue with my set... he explained that the sports channels in question are delivering their signal in 720p...and he says, my set can only display 1080i.

OK...maybe...but I know that the local Fox station transmits in 720p as does the local PBS station, and there may be others...I get their pictures just fine.

Am I getting accurate information? Naturally, I'd like to continue to use my cable card rather than having to rent a "box."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2012, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No its definitely not true. Cable cards are very tricky and hard to make work, especially after changes to the channel lineup. I don't know why... but they will work with the right patience. make them come back until the give you a cable card that works. Keep calling until someone gets it fixed. It will escalate quickly and you'll get a better tech.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
What possibly have happened is that your provider converted to SDV (Switched Digital Video) and you need either their box, or a tuning adapter. But, tuning adapter only works with TiVO and PC based DVR boxes (some versions of Vista and all versions of Windows 7), unless your TV has a functional USB port and you can load the TA drivers onto the TV to communicate with the CableCard. (chances of that are NILL)

As to not having to rent the external box, I am pretty sure that your TV came with a built in tuner that you can use antenna with. Broadcast TV is available to everyone (the distance form the transmitter detrmines the size of the antenna needed), hence the free converter boxes for older TV, but cable TV is a luxury.

It is like someone buying a car and then complaining that they have to fill it up with gas, change the oil, and replace tires and brakes.

Edit: There is no two-way card. There is a single stream and multi-stream CableCards. The devices that cards insert into are either one way or two way communication devices. Chances of your TV being a two-way communication device are very low. Even TiVO and PC that is set up to decrypt TV using a CableCard is only a 1 way communication device, and needs a tuning adapter from the provider that is set up for that particular node.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!