Can channels broadcast 2 diff ways? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 05-01-2012, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
When I had LCD 16:9 I noticed lots of channels had bars on sides.Now I'm using CRT 4:3 and now noticing bars on top bottom.

I thought I heard they could broadcast in 2 different ways so 4:3 and 16:9 tvs could watch without any bars on the screen.Is that true?

Example: Can Super Bowl on Fox be broadcast in 2 different ways so the 4:3 tvs and 16:9 tvs have No Bars on screen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-01-2012, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A television station can only broadcast in one format at a time. All television stations have converted to digital transmission with most new programs in 16:9, and older programs in 4:3. Except for the smallest of TV markets, most stations have converted to high definitiion (HD). Typically, anything in 16:9 will be HD, which, in my opinion, is today's "standard resolution."

However, your cable or satellite provider, or an external box such as a digital converter may alter the format to make the 16:9 signals work for older 4:3 sets.

Most cable systems still consider the old lower resolution 4:3 format of NTSC as their "basic" service. Pictures for those sets are delivered in that screen ratio. To do that, they either pick a "sweet spot" from the center of the screen or deliver the 16:9 picture in "letterbox" format.

An over-the-air digital converter will downconvert the 16:9 digital (ATSC) signal to a letterboxed analog (NTSC) for your old 4:3 ratio TV sets.

On cable, if you are watching one of these "basic" channels on a 16:9 ratio set, you will not get the full picture being broadcast by the station or cable network. You need to watch a program in its original HD format to get the full benefit of the picture quality and size.

I hope I didn't confuse you!
post #3 of 13 Old 05-02-2012, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks and thanks for quick response.

I heard wrong then.
The channel can only broadcast 1 way.
post #4 of 13 Old 05-02-2012, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
You can change the TV's view mode and see if one of the other modes works better for you.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-02-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
It IS possible for a station to broadcast multiple program channels, mixing any of the 18 possible formats. A station could broadcast an HDTV version and an SDTV version of the same programming, each on their own subchannel.
KSTU in SLC did this for many years, in order to accommodate the old analog translator stations.
You have to use bandwidth for each channel, though.

Also, something called AFD (Automatic Format Descriptor) can "tell" some receivers (mostly, Professional models) how to frame a downconverted signal....letterbox, zoom in, etc. But, it's not common in regular consumer TVs though.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #6 of 13 Old 05-07-2012, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I was watching game and it had bars on top and bottom,turned it back 1 hour later and it was full screen( I have 4:3 old CRT tv).What is that about?
post #7 of 13 Old 05-07-2012, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic12345 View Post

I was watching game and it had bars on top and bottom,turned it back 1 hour later and it was full screen( I have 4:3 old CRT tv).What is that about?

The TV station always sends you 16:9, digital channels at least, but sometimes they are rebroadcasting old programs that were shot with 4:3 camera, or a remote location doesn't have 16:9 camera so they pad with black bars on the sides as needed.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-11-2012, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Why does it keep switching? One minute I've got FULLSCREEN,five minutes later I've got bars on top and bottom,then 10 minutes later I've got FULLSCREEN,then 15 minutes later I've got the bars back.

Can't they keep it so on my 4:3 tv it stays FULLSCREEN?
post #9 of 13 Old 05-11-2012, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Are you talking about commercials or during a program? Should not change during a program. May change for the next program.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-11-2012, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am talking about an NBA basketball game I was watching(during the game)Several times it switched..Not during commercials.I know that changes all the time.

I'm only wondering are they purposely making it show bars for 4:3 tv viewers to encourage One to get a widescreen tv?
post #11 of 13 Old 05-12-2012, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Are you watching OTA, Cable or on satellite?

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #12 of 13 Old 05-12-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
It's highly possible it's your local tv station doing the switching. A lot of smaller stations have to manually switch the SD feed from the 16x9 letterboxed to the 4x3. I know with one of my local stations, especially with primetime broadcasts, they will be back into the program and still be sd, it takes them a few minutes to realize this and switch it back to the HD feed. So for this problem, I would call the station directly and ask if they are doing this.

Quote:

I'm only wondering are they purposely making it show bars for 4:3 tv viewers to encourage One to get a widescreen tv?

By showing the bars, you are seeing the full 16x9 image, in it's proper aspect ratio. You are seeing more of the game than if you were watching in full 4x3. And most national broadcasters are using this letterbox technique so they can move their score bugs to the outside of the frame, thus letting the viewer see more of the game than if the scorebug was in the middle of the frame. THey are not doing this to "force" you, however since most people do now own at least one HDTV, they are catering to these viewers more, and allowing them to see more of the game.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-13-2012, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the replies.i gather they CAN show it in 2 different ways,but they mostly show it in 1 way.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page