Advanced menu access: Charter/Cisco cable box - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-11-2012, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am posting this to hopefully relieve frustration for other Charter users. There is an advanced feature menu in most series of the Cisco/Sci Atlanta cable boxes that seems unpublished and which seems to be unknown to the phone tech support.

You gain access to this advanced menu by pressing "Settings" or "Menu" TWICE on your remote to get to the "General Settings" screen, then pressing "A" to get to Advanced Settings.

For HD users the Advanced Settings menu provides a number of important features including:
1) Setting the HDMI output resolution
If you are getting a flicker every few seconds in your HD display, your box may be failing to autodetect your HDTV. This is a known problem with some TVs, but no one seems to have written about it. The solution is to set the box to only display your highest resolution, i.e. don't give it any choices.
2) Setting the HDMI letterbox behavior. My box was set to show light gray borders on the letterbox and it was really annoying. You can have bright bars or dim (basically invisible) bars.
There are lots of other important settings here. The official documentation for the 46xxHDC series boxes mentions the access method only indirectly and only for an HDMI audio setting but otherwise doesn't explain how important it is for you to know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-13-2012, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This week we changed to a new Charter Cisco Explorer 4640 box. The medium gray bars were distracting, but we don't like the stretch or zoom options. The dark gray is like soft black, which is exactly what we were hoping we could change to. It blends much better with the television's frame.

As you explained, the tech support people for Charter do not seem aware of this setting, or how to navigate to change it. I have been searching the Cisco site for this information, and decided to search Dogpile for a forum guru who had shared this information. And here you are. Thank you for sharing this We're all smiles here thanks to you!
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page