Best way to wire up AT&T U-Verse? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-14-2012, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
U-Verse newbie here....I'm interested in what is the "Optimal" cabling structure to get the best speed and quality for not only the TV service, but also the computer network side of things. I came from Comcast and had 5 Set-Top Boxes (STB) and 1 cable card on the TV side and a Gigabit wired/Wireless N network on the computer side. Everything worked flawlessly before the U-Verse install.

Current setup with the way the install tech wired me up....
I'm having some services issues/problems with losing the internet service, wireless STB connectivity and other STB connectivity to the DVR....like picture freezing during playback or just dropping the ON Demand channel and going back to the menu. The problems come and go and I'm trying to decide if the entire system was marginally installed. When the tech came out to do the install we had to make some concessions as to how the equipment was laid out based on my existing wiring or lack thereof.

Background:

U-Verse layout as it is now. Copper lines from the street to COAX (RG6 not Quad Shielf) at the NID (I guess that's what it is called) on the outside of the house. The COAX runs to the RG on the second story of the home...the RG feeds the STB/DVR over Ethernet with HDMI output to the TV in that room. There is also a U-Verse Wireless Access Point pluged into the RG Ethernet that supplies two wireless STB in adjacent rooms also on the second story. The install tech ran a new AT&T supplied RG6 from the NID 100 feet to an AT&T splitter that feeds 3 more STBs (1st floor) over my existing coax. I'm assuming he also installed the "Diplexor" in the NID to feed the new run of COAX to the 3 downstairs STBs.

Since it was installed this way, how does that compare to an optimal solution? I'm willing to do some new RG6 Quad wiring to all areas that the STBs reside in to a "Home" run location to locate the RG and DVR/STB centrally. Would this be better? I'm guess I'm trying to get all the STBs serviced over the RG6 network to free up traffic on the Ethernet side...I guess this is basically the same way as my Comcast install. Right now, any of the STBs accessing the DVR are tying up Ethernet traffic on the non-Gigabit switch in the RG. That hardly seems optimal. From reading the above posts, it seems as though running all the STBs off of Ethernet is the way to go.

Right now for the internet side of things, I have turned off the wireless in the RG and connected my DIR655 Gigabit Router (DHCP off) LAN to LAN on the RG and letting the RG do the DHCP and routing. All my wired Ethernet (pre-existing) is wired to the DIR655 and getting IP addresses through the RG.

With the setup I have now, both TV and computer network, I'm having these issues come and go. Soliciting all opinions here on which way to go. If things are already optimal then I guess the alternative is to just go back to Comcast.

Thanks ahead for your input and replies.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-15-2012, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Good luck with Uverse. My neighborhood is right on the edge (distance wise)of being able to get Uverse. My neighbor wanted to change over from cable TV to Uverse. He researched everything and cut a great deal via his local ATT store who also sells Uverse as well as cell phones. He needed 7 converter boxes (He has lots of rooms and kids) and wanted higher speed Internet. So the Uverse tech comes out and sets up the Internet first.

The speed is not as fast as advertised and slightly less than with his cable company. Then the tech sets up the first 2 converter boxes. Now the Internet speed drops way off and the two LED TV's are highly pixilated and the picture quality is no where near as good as the cable previous cable TV picture. Since he has not cancelled his cable yet, the Uverse tech hooks up a TV back to the cable. Perfect picture. So the tech admits that Uverse will not work and pulls everything back out. He blames part of the problem on the distance to the Uverse VRAD equipment. He also admits that larger houses with lots of rooms are also not always conducive for Uverse.

One thing my friend did learn is that the ATT stores have more flexibility to cut deals than Uverse on-line or over the phone. He was able to negotiate no extra fee for all those converter boxes and he got rid of any data cap. So if you are still going oo Uverse, talk to an ATT store too for their deal.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-15-2012, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I will take that into consideration if I keep the service. It looks promising but I really want to make sure that it is wired up optimally to work its best so I can pass fair judgement.

Anyone know more on the technical aspects related to the wiring of U-Verse? Would it be better to serve all the STBs over Ethernet using a separate switch connected to the RG and then run the computer network over yet a different wired network (subnet being different) to keep speeds optimal?

Any experts out there?
post #4 of 7 Old 05-18-2012, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Just noticed this was a NON-HD cable area some I'm going to post in HDTV area too.

Did up a couple of diagrams....

Current Setup:

Proposed Setup:

Comments?
post #5 of 7 Old 05-29-2012, 12:32 PM

Liked: 12
honestly, i've done more installs for customers switching from uverse to the local cable company. from what i learned, uverse can only support so many cable boxes. for example, i know in the system i'm in, uverse can support 2 HD Boxes and wireless internet. anything more than that the installer will tell the customer that's all it can support. so wiring up a 6 bedroom home or even a 4 bedroom home your pretty much out of luck! only speaking from experience.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-31-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post

honestly, i've done more installs for customers switching from uverse to the local cable company. from what i learned, uverse can only support so many cable boxes. for example, i know in the system i'm in, uverse can support 2 HD Boxes and wireless internet. anything more than that the installer will tell the customer that's all it can support. so wiring up a 6 bedroom home or even a 4 bedroom home your pretty much out of luck! only speaking from experience.

It all depends on how close or far you are from the main entry into your neighborhood. In my old house I was able to have 4 HD boxes run simultaneously, plus internet, but was only able to record 2 HD streams and 1 SD stream to the DVR. I was told I was 1500 feet from the main "box." At my new house, I have 6 HD boxes and can stream 3 HD and 2 SD. I was told I'm only 200 feet from the main box.

@Squiddaddy - the STBs connect by Coax so I don't know if you'll be able to connect them to an 8 port switch. The Wireless boxes are 802.11, but I don't know if they're G or N. I have to assume N, but I don't have any of those STBs and my Gateway claims it only supports G.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #7 of 7 Old 02-16-2013, 11:12 PM

Use cat 5 to rg (connected at nid without any other existing house wire involved) unless you use a splitter (VDSL spliiter from ATT) at the nid. Get the signal separated before you add any inside telephone wire with a spliiter filter. Thats the only way to insure the issue will be the wire outside the house, or the refurbished (possibly) gateway (RG) or set top boxes. Coax Home Run will be problematic.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page