Replacing RG59 with RG6 cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-15-2012, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hope this is the right place to post this.

Let me start out by saying that in our marriage, I am the AV geek and my husband could care less, as long as the TV turns on. Not so important I know, but I have posted on so many tech forums where I am automatically assumed to be a guy that I feel I should point that out right away.

Anyway, I decided to replace the old RG59 cable that is used to supply cable to our TVs (the internet cable modem is a separate feed) because I was planning on adding another feed to a new TV I plan to hook up, and discovered that all the inside wiring is RG59. A quick search taught me that RG59 is not the best for HD signals, so I figured I would replace all the old cable with quad shielded RG6 while I was at it.

A little bit about my set up. Like I said, the cable modem has a separate feed to it, so this would be for the TVs and cable tuners only. The TV cable splits 3 ways after an amplifier. One goes to the living room TV, one goesaround the house to the bedroom, and one goes to the basement. The signal quality with the RG59 wasn't bad, but some of the digitial channels could be pixelated, so I thought the cable replacement was justified. Sunday I spent much of the day replacing the longest line, the feed that goes around the house to the bedroom. I used quad shielded RG6 like I said, but added a two way splitter so that I could take off a feed to supply a networked cable tuner. I then had to make my own male termination connections using screw on connectors. When I tuned the TV in the bedroom, I didn't get any channels at all. I removed the splitter and used a union connector. I then was able to tune most of the channels, but the analog channels look horrible, and some of the digital are missing. The HD channels that do come in look good.

So where did I go wrong? Maybe my connectors are at fault? Otherwise why would my signal look worse than it did before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-15-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'd start by looking for a bad connector...either a tiny piece of shield wire shorting across the center pin, or look for a connector that is not making good contact (all around) with the shield.
Quad shielded cable usually has two foils and two braided shields. The foil is only conductive on one side, in most cases. Also, screw-on connectors are not the best way...they are usually a "quick-fix" type of thing. The proper sized crimp-on, or compression fitting, installed with the right tool, is best.
But, if everything else is working, just check for one bad connector (or, two) on that particular run.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #3 of 12 Old 05-15-2012, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. Can you point me to a good source where I can buy the compression fitting ones? I don't mind spending a little more to make sure all my work was not for nothing.
post #4 of 12 Old 05-15-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 282
post #5 of 12 Old 05-15-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
First, always suspect corroded fittings. Clean connectors on every junction and put them back tight. Cheap-looking, lightweight, plastic splitters with a thin coating of metal should be replaced with a heavy-feel unit.

Making coax connections... there is an art to it. This is made worse that not all connectors are made the same and if you don't have the correct tool, make an imperfect crimp that actually, markedly affect what you see.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #6 of 12 Old 05-15-2012, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by karrun001 View Post

Thanks for the help. Can you point me to a good source where I can buy the compression fitting ones? I don't mind spending a little more to make sure all my work was not for nothing.

I recommend these from Lowes:
Compression fittings:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_276760-53911...tts&facetInfo=

Compression tool:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_276762-53911...tts&facetInfo=

Coax cable stripper:
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1

Here is instructions on how to terminate a coax cable:
http://www.hometech.com/kb/questions.php?questionid=49

This place also will have anything you need for audio/video distribution:
http://www.hometech.com/

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #7 of 12 Old 05-15-2012, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Great, those compression fittings are what my cable company uses, they are very reliable. I will get them and the tool, get a better splitter, and hopefully this will solve my issues.
One other question. Since I am spliiting a signal that is already split, should I install another amplifier in-line? Or will this do more harm than good?
post #8 of 12 Old 05-15-2012, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by karrun001 View Post

Great, those compression fittings are what my cable company uses, they are very reliable. I will get them and the tool, get a better splitter, and hopefully this will solve my issues.
One other question. Since I am spliiting a signal that is already split, should I install another amplifier in-line? Or will this do more harm than good?

No do not get another amp. In fact if the amp that is there was put in years ago for analog tv you might be better off bypassing it as it may be doing more harm than good.

If you are having signal issues you might be better off getting the cable company to come and look at it. To much amplification is just as bad and even worse than not enough signal strength, especially with digital cable.

Also any splitters that are currently there should be replaced if they have been there for a long time. Make sure that the new splitters have 5MHz-1GHz (1000MHZ) stamped on them.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #9 of 12 Old 05-15-2012, 01:50 PM

Liked: 11
For the record don't ever use crimp connectors or screw connectors. They are horrible. The above mentioned compression ends are the best. If you have rg6q be sure to get the rg6q connectors. The signal amp as mentioned before is probably a major factor in crappy signal besides the connector issues. I just ran my whole house in rg6q from lowes and my reception is fantastic. I was able to get rid of my amp and my picture quality and Internet speeds are phenomenally better. Even the military has gone away from crimp connectors because of signal issues on aircraft. Screw connectors are being phased out due to poor longevity.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-16-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I've never had problems with good-quality, properly-installed crimp connectors. I've got around 5,000 of them in my system at work.
I do like to use the compression ones for outdoors, though. They are a bit better for wet areas (I still waterproof them, though).

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #11 of 12 Old 05-16-2012, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Well, thanks for all the help. I bought the kit from HD (mostly because its a lot closer than Lowes) and I just finished replacing all the old screw on connectors with my highly professional looking compression fittings, as well as a new splitter. I am currently doing the happy dance, as my TV now picks up 62 analog and 76 stellar looking digital ones. Now I will retune my HDHomeRun and see if it will pick up my digital cable channels now.
Thanks again!
post #12 of 12 Old 05-17-2012, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish View Post

I've never had problems with good-quality, properly-installed crimp connectors. I've got around 5,000 of them in my system at work.
I do like to use the compression ones for outdoors, though. They are a bit better for wet areas (I still waterproof them, though).

That's more fittings than all of Huntsville!

CIAO!

Ed N.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page