Moving soon, question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-20-2012, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
hey guys, currently i live in queens ny, i have time warner cable interent setup in my apartment, i split the signal using a splitter and connect to my tvs to recieve local HD Channels for free using the HDTV's built in tuner.

anyway,i might be moving to long island soon and that area isnt provided by time warner, its provided by cablevision and verizon fios.

my question is, will i be able to have the same setup as i have now with cablevision? (pay only for internet and split the signal to tvs in the house to grab local hd channels using the hdtv's built in digital tuner? )

i also have the option of dish network or direct tv i guess but i dont want tv channels alot, i mostly watch netfflix on apple tv so thats why i dont want to subscribe to a tv plan

Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2012, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

my question is, will i be able to have the same setup as i have now with cablevision? (pay only for internet and split the signal to tvs in the house to grab local hd channels using the hdtv's built in digital tuner? )

If you are only paying for internet, there is no guarantee you will get any tv without paying for it.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
i dont want any cable boxes, thats what i dont want to pay for, otherwise the basic tv package is 15 bucks, but 6 dollars per set up box..

do u think the splitter to the hdtv and scanning for local channels will work with cablevision?
Old 05-20-2012, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Go to the SiliconDust website and punch in your zipcode to see if your new address has Clear QAM.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

do u think the splitter to the hdtv and scanning for local channels will work with cablevision?

Again, there is NO guarantee you will get any cable channels if you are only paying for internet. Technically you shouldn't be getting any in the first place, you are lucky the cableco hasn't put a trap on your line.

Quote:

i dont want any cable boxes, thats what i dont want to pay for, otherwise the basic tv package is 15 bucks, but 6 dollars per set up box..

Most providers will give you the QAM HD channels you want if you only buy the basic cable. There are also many other ways to get HD without having to rent a box from the cable company.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I believe the "technical" term for taking something that does not belong to you, or something that you have not paid for is STEALING. Since you are not paying for TV service, you should not be taking the TV signal, even if it is "just sitting there". If you want local HD without paying for it, get an antenna.

Cablevision in NYC received an exemption from the FCC to encrypt even the local HD channels because people were STEALING cable. Normally, local HD channels are not encrypted, but normally people don't take what does not belong to them, or what they have not paid for, except for what appears to be a common thing in major metropolitan areas.

Chances are that Cablevision does not encrypt local HD out on Long Island, but nothing is guaranteed, since you have not paid for it, and Cablevision has no contractual obligation to provide those channels.

Verizon FiOS does not encrypt local HD, but transmits it in unencrypted Clear QAM, which only a handful of TV's are capable of receiving straight out of the box.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
Old 05-22-2012, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
...but transmits it in unencrypted Clear QAM, which only a handful of TV's are capable of receiving straight out of the box.

Don't you mean '...only a handful of TV's aren't capable of receiving straight out of the box.'?
Old 05-22-2012, 08:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

The only way to know for sure is to actually be in your new place with your TV and to run a scan. As said, there could be traps in the line that would prevent you from getting channels, or there may not be. It's a crapshoot, and there is no way for us to say for sure one way or another.

If you must have TV channels bite the bullet and get a subscription. If you can live with out them, don't sweat it.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Old 05-22-2012, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Don't you mean '...only a handful of TV's aren't capable of receiving straight out of the box.'?

There are some TV's that can receive Clear QAM without any modifications, or external boxes.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
Old 05-23-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 33
If it doesn't work, just put up the antenna man. Some people say OTA give them a better picture!
Old 05-27-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

There are some TV's that can receive Clear QAM without any modifications, or external boxes.

I think what he's saying is that most TVs have clear QAM capability. Generally if they have an ATSC tuner they throw in a QAM tuner, too.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If you commit to the move the only way to find out is to go for the minimon package and see what happens.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCbridge View Post

If you commit to the move the only way to find out is to go for the minimon package and see what happens.

That's what I say. What, cancel the move if the new provider doesn't? I never understood why people at the airport asks if the plane is full? What, cancel the trip if too many people?
Old 05-29-2012, 01:19 PM

Liked: 12
once you call in the cable company when the installer comes out he will put a modem trap to eliminate video signals.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post

once you call in the cable company when the installer comes out he will put a modem trap to eliminate video signals.

Which you might be able to remove yourself, or the installer might 'forget' to install for the appropriate tribute [IT IS Long Island after all... LoL]... But like others have said, depending where you are moving too you'd be surprised what you can get with a pair of rabbit ears
Old 06-17-2012, 02:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopRock View Post

Which you might be able to remove yourself,

The traps are usually in a padlocked service box. If they find the lock has been jimmied or otherwise tampered, and the trap inside removed, they'll know you did it and cut off your service entirely.