RG6 Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-07-2012, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have trouble from with pixelation on some channels and my internet dropping out a couple times a week. A while back I called comcast, the gentlemen replaced the splitter on the line coming into the house, the splitter behind my tv for the cable box and modem, the cable coming from the wall to the splitter, and the cables from the splitter to the cable box and modem. The problem got alot better, however, at that time he said I am getting a noticable drop in my line runing from the main splitter to my living room (where the tv and modem are). Fortuantly I have access to the entire main run which is ~60'. I believe it is RG6 but definatly not quad shielded and has cheap crimp conectors on both ends.

I am debating wether or not to replace the line with RG6Q. What do you guys think? Also would it be worth it to run two RG6Q lines with a 4 way splitter at the main line coming in the house?

I do not know how to check the cable reading but my modem is seeing -14.5 dbmV upstream and 54 dbmV downstream.

Thanks for your help
Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2012, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Home wire all runs to one central location. This ensures equal loss to every device (give or take because of length of outlets). Whether you use quad shield is a personal choice, IMO. If you have it, use it. If you were planning on buying it..... up to you. Unless you have a tremendous amount of electrical ambient noise in your area, it really not "helping" anything. I have wired up thousands of homes and don't use quad rg6, but it is good wire. The connectors....well they need to be good and installed properly as well. Compression connectors are the best, but require special tools.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quad-shield cable has the same specs as standard dual-shield cable, with the exception of shield effectiveness.

What is your wiring configuration currently? You wrote that there was a splitter coming into the house and that the splitter in the living room is fed from that splitter. Is the one outside a 3-way splitter? Balanced or unbalanced? If it's an unbalanced 3-way splitter, try moving the cable that goes to the living room to the 3.5 leg (it may be on a 7 leg).

If it is on a 7dB leg of an unbalanced 3-way splitter, your losing close to 11dB just through splitters (assuming those 2 are the only splitters in the line). Assuming you're about 60' from the tap, that's ~7dB of loss through the cable, bringing the total signal loss (to your cable modem) to 17-18dB.

I've always been an advocate for an amp if there are more than 3 outlets. Cable modems count as an outlet.

As BroncoSport wrote, it would be best to have each outlet homerun. Your configuration ought to be: Cable comes in to a 2-way splitter (or DC-6), with the TAP leg going to the cable modem and the THRU (out) leg going to a drop amp, which then feeds all of the TV sets.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
The splitter coming in the house is a three way unbalanced. The line in question was attached to the 7db I moved it to the 3.5 db leg. Now my modem reads -14.2 up and 48.5 down, a little better, and I am not getting the pixelization on the channels that I was.

Next I removed the splitter behind the tv a plugged the modem right into the cable from the wall, I now get -6.9 up and 44.7 down, big jump!

You suggested using a a dc-6 and amp, is it a bad idea to amp the modem line?

I am fairly new to this so please bear with me... I currently have -14 db losses (-3.5 3 way, -7 cable, -3.5 dc-6), if I put a 4 way in and make another run I will end up with -14 db (-7 4 way, -7 cable), if I make another run and add an amp like suggested I will get -10.5 to the modem and -0.5 to the tv (assuming 10 db amp).

Can someone suggest and decent budget amplifier? What amp I looking for in an amp, obviously gain but what frequency range?

The reason I was kind of dead set on quad shielded cable was because I tried purchasing shorter cables for behind my tv and my issue got much worse.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
It would be connected as follows:286

Google "Evolution EVO1-AMP-1"

CIAO!

Ed N.