RCA to Coax? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-12-2012, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right section but I have an interesting situation that I need some help with. I have Dish Network and they recently upgraded one of my boxes. The old box had a coax out which I had run out to my screen porch to a small SD TV that only has a coax in. The new box doesn't have a coax out but does have a composite video/audio (Yellow, Red, White) connection. Is there anyway to at least get the video to travel via the coax out to my TV on the porch. I've looked everywhere for some sort of adapter and I can't seem to find what I need. I'm not even that concerned with the audio since I have that run out there separately with speaker wire to some porch speakers. What I basically need is something that takes in the RCA video (or audio and video) and outputs it to a Coax. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-12-2012, 05:49 AM

Liked: 32
It is called a 'F' to RCA adapter. They are all over the place. Radio Shack sells them, Parts express also. You can get them on amazon.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-12-2012, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply. The funny thing is, I went in to Radioshack, told the guy what I was trying to do and he said that it wouldn't work. I picked up the F to RCA adapter that you mentioned and asked why this wouldn't work for my purpose? He told me it just wouldn't carry the signal. When I said I wanted to try it to see and I headed to the register, he refused to sell it to me because he said he "didn't want to deal with the return" when I realized that he was "right". I guess I need to go to a different Radioshack

Jay
post #4 of 9 Old 06-12-2012, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
You say, "a small SD TV that only has a coax in".
If that's so (you don't have a composite video input, usually a yellow jack), then it' won't work.
You'll need an NTSC analog modulator, so the TV can tune the signal in on something like Channel 3 or 4.

Something like this should work:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103095#tabsetBasic

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #5 of 9 Old 06-12-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 283
post #6 of 9 Old 06-12-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpkid12 View Post

Thanks for the reply. The funny thing is, I went in to Radioshack, told the guy what I was trying to do and he said that it wouldn't work. I picked up the F to RCA adapter that you mentioned and asked why this wouldn't work for my purpose? He told me it just wouldn't carry the signal. When I said I wanted to try it to see and I headed to the register, he refused to sell it to me because he said he "didn't want to deal with the return" when I realized that he was "right". I guess I need to go to a different Radioshack

The RS guy did the right thing. Although, he should have provided the correct solution (as Ken pointed out).

Disregard post #2. wink.gif
post #7 of 9 Old 06-13-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Seeing as how the TV in question only has an RF input, a modulator is needed. The guy at Rat Shack was right when he said that an FFR adapter wouldn't do what you need (which is change composite signals to RF). Modulators are all over the place. You don't need anything fancy for your application. That Dynex from Best Buy should do just fine. Just connect it to the Yellow/Red/White jacks on your receiver, hook up the coax, and tune your patio TV to channel 3 (or 4).

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-14-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Bickering posts removed:

Please stick to tech. discussion and stop the personal attacks...if you can't you'll receive an infraction or suspeneded.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #9 of 9 Old 06-16-2012, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You can try a Terk 2.4Ghz RF receiver/sender if you can pick one up at a decent price, the receiver had a coax output as well as standard composite outputs... no need to run wires anywhere... The only other solution would be to use an old VCR and run composite wires in place of the coax and output to the TV via the VCR.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page