DirecTV - Should I have all resolutions checked on HD receivers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-12-2012, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've always had all the different resolutions checked on our DirecTV HD receivers but a friend told me to only check the highest which is 1080p. Does this make any difference in picture quality on non HD channels?
Which is the correct way for these settings? All checked or only the highest one?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-12-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 286
IMO, the best way to determine which is best.... experiment and decide for yourself. wink.gif

It depends on which device has the better scaler. Is it the TV or the D* receiver?
post #3 of 3 Old 06-12-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I don't think there is a right answer. But, I'll toss in a few of my observations when dealing with the same question.

I had an HR20 for years and now have an HR-34.

In my old setup that had an HR20 to a 70" XBR2 and an angstrom 200/205 receiver ... I sent video to the XBR and audio to the angstrom separately. I had all kinds of trouble keeping the audio in sync even though the XBR was better at scaling. So, I sent 1080i from the box instead of native. This solved the synching issue.

My new setup has HR34 -> Anthem MRX 700 -> Mits L75-A94, I'm sending native all resolutions, using through on the MRX and letting the TV scale. For the HD formats there isn't a huge difference between the HR34, the MRX and TV scaler to me. The pictures look pretty much the same. On the SD formats the MRX is WAY better at scaling than the other two. But, going back and forth between configurations is a PITA and we rarely watch SD material, so I just have all formats selected, NATIVE -> Through on the MRX -> Let the TV scale. I don't have audio synch issues with the configuration so far either.

This is just my solution to my setup. So, keep the typical YMMV condition in mind.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page