AV Switch with F-type and Component Inputs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-16-2012, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My mother is getting older and has trouble changing the TV input using her remote control. I would like to find a mechanical switch into which I can route her TV cable (coaxial) and her DVD player (component) so that she can just push A or B button to choose between them. Is there such a thing? I see switches for several component devices, but none that let me connect her cable.

FYI, her TV is fairly new and has HDMI and numerous other inputs. Thanks for any ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-16-2012, 01:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Not those two specific cable types, no.

You could have a switch like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-Coaxial-A-Switch/dp/B0002ZPIQ4

with something like this before it to convert the DVD signal to F-type:

http://sewelldirect.com/belkin-rf-modulator.asp

But I'd shudder to see the degradation in picture from the DVD side.

The other alternative is to get a cable box, have it convert the signal to composite (or component or whatever), run that into a switch, also hook up the DVD player, and run it out to the TV. Again, another kludgy approach that requires renting a cable box that may not be attractive.

The best alternative IMO is a remote like a Harmony (or URC or whatever) that has macros programmed in so she can just push "Watch TV" or "Watch a DVD" and it switches everything automatically. One button, that's it.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #3 of 4 Old 07-17-2012, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks Tulpa. Not sure she could learn to use a whole new remote control, but what about programming a "big button" IR remote something like these solely to toggle between the DVD input and the cable TV input? Then she could go back to using her familiar remote for other functions.

http://www.spectronicsinoz.com/catalogue/gewa-programmable-infra-red-transmitters/

The idea would be to program one big button to choose the DVD input and another to choose the cable TV input, and disable all other buttons. One problem might be that some of the available super-simple remotes are not fully programmable and could not be made to change the TV input.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-17-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
You could go that route if she doesn't mind two remotes.

I suggested the Harmony because you can program the "function" buttons to display clearly on the remote "WATCH TV" and "WATCH A DVD". You can even change the text to say "Push me for TV" or whatever. The rest of the buttons (off, channel up/down, pause/ff/rew/play,) are like most other remotes, with the same type of labels. If something screws up, there is a "help" button that will generally fix the issue.

Harmony remotes pretty much work the same, so you could show her the different ones and have her pick one that she likes. Most electronics stores carry them.

Either remote method would probably be preferable to her than to have to get up and flip a switch.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page