OTA input question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-29-2012, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all. New to the site. I hope this is the correct forum. Forgive me if it is not. I have a couple of questions that, I'm hoping, you fine folks can help me with. I have a standard definition cable box that hooks into my Samsung plasma flat panel via coax. So here comes the London Olympics on NBC and I really want to watch it in HD. I unplug the cable box, hook up an antenna, change the input to OTA and, voila, NBC in heavenly HD!

Now my problem starts. I have only one coax input on my flat panel but now I have two seperate coax leads that I want to connect to the tv. I tried using a splitter in a reversed orientation so that both signals would be combined into one. The OTA signal is very good but the signal from the cable box looks awful. Do I need to buy a combiner to get a better signal? Everything I've read has lead my to believe that a combiner is just a splitter turned around. Is this not true? I've consider an A/B switch but I'm really, really lazy and I don't want to have to get out of my Lazy Boy to switch the box when I want to change inputs. I was also looking at something like a coax to HDMI converter. I could hook up one of the coax leads to it and use an available HDMI input on my tv to plug it in.

Are there any better options or am I on the right track? In my world, less expensive is always better. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-29-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Try this:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049643
post #3 of 5 Old 07-29-2012, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Ratman! That is friggin' brilliant. I'm glad that there are so many lazy people in this world that something like this exists. Thanks!
post #4 of 5 Old 07-29-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
The switch posted should work fine for you, but you might also consider an HD cable box if your cableco will allow you to have one with your subscription. That way you might get more HD channels than just what the antenna allows. Although the HD feed the antenna receives might be a better picture, depending on compression.

If the cost of the HD box vs the standard box is too much, though, the switch is fine. And honestly, I don't think it's too lazy. If you have to get up to move a switch, might as well toss all the other remotes and use the TV's onboard power/channel/volume controls. smile.gif

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #5 of 5 Old 07-29-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

If the cost of the HD box vs the standard box is too much, though, the switch is fine. smile.gif
Based on his requirement to switch coax feeds, I think he's currently using a DTA (possibly no cost/rental fee).

So ... options are:
1) A/B switch (one time fee) - possibly three remotes?
2) remove DTA and rent a "standard" cable box for ~ $5 per month (use composite video) - cable/TV remote to switch inputs for OTA/HD and cable
3) remove DTA and rent an HD capable cable box for ~$10 per month and use component or HDMI - cable/TV remote to switch inputs when necessary
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page