Splitter ? with Cox Cable and modem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-01-2012, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Have Cox cable feed - analog for TVs no cable boxes, their fastest Internet to a cable modem. There are 2 splitters outside under the eaves installed by cable company that separates wire to the various rooms. Normally I use the modem and router in a central bedroom with no in-room splitter. Just tried moving it into the living room as want to connect AV equipment via Ethernet to router. Using a splitter on cable line and no issues with tv but no Internet connection. Ran straight coax to modem and Internet works fine. Tried 4 different basic splitters - Radio Shack, Ideal, Phillips (2). None provides Internet. Tried various cables too.

?1 Are there any high quality splitters? Brand? Source? They all feel like junk!
?2 Does the MHz (GHz) rating matter for my usage? 1G - 2.3G?

Could be possibly a low signal strength from cable company but don't have a signal strength meter. Want to be sure I am using the proper and best splitter first as obviously adding the splitter is either degrading the signal or is not compatible with cable modem.

Thanks for any help!
Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-01-2012, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Cable modems are installed generally to have the best signal in the house. So look at the house box and find the incoming feed from cable co. It may hit a ground block or a splitter. On the first splitter that the cable hits you will see some numbers such as - 3.5 or -7 what ever is the lowest number connect the cable going to your modem don't split again. After doing this your modem should sync if it doesn't then you probably need that outlet rewired. Go to 192.168.100.1 and check the levels on your modem RX should be around -10 dBmv to + 10 dBmv MER = 33dBmv or greater. TX 35dBmv to 49dbmv . If you need video in that location probably best to run another coax rather than splitting line from modem. I would just set up a service call let them take care of things they will use proper connectors and splitters and also a good quality trishield coax cable. Even if there is a service charge it will be cheaper than the cost of materials and tools to DYI.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-02-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 67
you can log into the modem it self and see the signal strength, unless of course if they did not lock it out.

When we had cable and we had our own modem, I frequently logged into it and used it as a signal meter. Now, I do ths same with Ceton tuner, which is even better, since Ceton can do signal strength on dividual channels, not just pre-set frequency, like most meters.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #4 of 9 Old 08-02-2012, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you for the replies. I will do some more investigating.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-04-2012, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks all. Cable line came to house and hit a 1-2 splitter and one side went to cable modem in bedroom while other side hit a 1-4 splitter for the rest of the house. Moved cables around so first feed went to living room where I needed it. Also went to Cox and picked up a new 1-2 splitter for TV-Modem. Not as good I am sure as a direct feed but works great now!! The Cox splitter is a ChannelMaster and far better quality than any I found in stores. So all your tips worked and a huge THANK YOU! Later I will run a dedicated cable line for modem through the attic and redo the outdoor splitters but not right now as it is deadly up there this time of the year in Louisiana.
Pete
post #6 of 9 Old 08-04-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Later I will run a dedicated cable line for modem through the attic and redo the outdoor splitters but not right now as it is deadly up there this time of the year in Louisiana.
Pete
Check the modem levels. You may not have to. http://192.168.100.1/ for most modems. You're looking for -10dB to +10dB on the forward level.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-04-2012, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I will definitely do that.
Thanks!
post #8 of 9 Old 05-27-2013, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ok if you use spliter and have interference to each other without filter all you have to do is to splice it and get the positive to positive and get negative to negative and solder it and be sure not to be contact to each other or else the connection is worsen it got to be good connection ok aaaaaaaaaand you can see the result.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-27-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Reawakening an 9 month and that's the best you can come up witth for your 1st post. eek.gif
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page