Sony Trinitron tube TV... how to receive over the air TV content on it? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-03-2012, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 2003 Sony Trinitron tube TV (Model KV-20FS100) that I would like to use for my fitness room. I would like to use this TV to receive over the air signals to watch local TV content in my area. How do I go about doing this? Since the switchover, all over the air TV content is now digital, correct? Will this matter in getting my TV to receive these signals?

If it matters, the TV has composite and component video outputs only, along with a coax in the rear of the TV. I currently use Comcast as my cable provider, but I do not have (nor want) an extra box to connect to the TV due to the extra monthly costs it will incur.

Do I just hook up my coax cable to the rear of my TV and that's it, or is there something else I must do to get the "free" channels including local stations?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-03-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Pretty sure a 2003 Trinitron only has analog tuners.

For over the air signals, you'll need to buy an ATSC tuner box, which range in prices from $35-$100+, depending on brand and whatever extras you want, if any. It's a one-time purchase, but is necessary, along with an antenna (if you don't already have one.)

http://www.amazon.com/Zinwell-ZAT-970A-Digital-Converter-Antenna/dp/B001DVZXC0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344016857&sr=8-1&keywords=atsc+tuner

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT121-Indoor-Antenna/dp/B00009W3E2/ref=pd_sim_e_2

For Comcast, if they're still sending analog, your TV may pick up locals, though if they are, I wouldn't count on it lasting. If it's all digital, you might get away with a QAM tuner box (some do both ATSC and QAM.) You may have to rescan from time to time. But if the channels you want are scrambled, then you'll have no choice but to use a Comcast box.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #3 of 3 Old 08-06-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Government gave them out for free in 2007-2008 when they made the broadcasters switch over. Where were you?

You can buy them now, or see if someone who received the free one has upgraded their TV since.

I got mine through Meritline, and even though government meant for it to be strictly ATSC, mine pick up ClearQAM as well.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page