What is an Arcom FBR-3A/82? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-10-2012, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I've got HSI through my local cable provider and I've been experiencing frequent drop outs of signal. Sometimes the internet just goest down for a bit, cable modem seems to be resetting itself and then it'll come back. I was looking at the lines coming into the house and I noticed something attached to the cable about 2in long that says "Arcom FBR-3A/82" on it. From what I've read it's some sort of filter but I don't know exactly what it does. I've heard these can cut out some of the frequencies coming down the line. I would assume that could be a good thing if it's filtering out extraneous noise, but perhaps it's cutting out signal I need? Does anyone know? I read a couple of places these traps are pretty antiquated these days and can be left over from the pre-digital days when people were trying to steal service. What's the story with this thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Just remove it. It's not good for you.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Just remove it. It's not good for you.
You make it sound like a wart or hemorrhoid or something. wink.gif

CIAO!

Ed N.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Well.... I'd contact my cable provider and let them try to diagnose and remediate. It could be that filter (which may be there for a reason) failing, it could be poor levels/signal from the pole/ped, it could be a failing modem or it could be a bad coax/connector.

FWIW, I basically experienced the same issues a few years ago. After a week or two of replacing connectors, splitter and coax, I got a new cable modem from the provider. Problem resolved. I wish I had done that first. wink.gif

Also, you may be able to access the modem's diagnostic info by http://192.168.100.1 to obtain a log of failures and signal levels, which may help with diagnosis.