Connecting Cable TV to projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-01-2012, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All - I apologize if this is a common thread however I was unsuccessful in my search for a solution.

I recently purchased an Optoma HD66 Projector for a home theater and have decided that I would like to try to use it for cable TV as well as movies and video games. I am however running into a wall here because I cannot figure out how to connect the coaxial cable from my wall to the projector without using some sort of medium. I've heard that it is possible using a cable box but in this case there is no box to use as it is currently in use elsewhere.

Thus far I've tried 3 different items - 1) Using an old DVD player - this did not work because there is no coaxial input. 2) Using an old VCR - I was able to plug in the coax cable and use the video out to the projector however the Audio Out on the vcr uses some sort of connection I've never seen (3.5mm jack for surround sound doesnt fit) and whenever I would change channels the projector would take 30-45 seconds to 'search' for the video input before displaying the channel. It also seemed like it was not picking up the cable I pay for but rather the free channels. 3) An HP TV Tuner - I tried directly connecting this to the projector using S-video but the projector could not find the signal. I also tried using my laptop as a medium and using Windows Media center but again there was no signal found.

I've sort of run out of ideas where and have come to the conclusion that there must be something I can buy which will allow me to connect my cable tv, without a cable box, to my projector. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-01-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Rent a seond HD cable box for ~$10-12 per month.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-01-2012, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the response! I don't get HD channels with my current cable package so getting an HD box wouldn't do much for me.
post #4 of 11 Old 10-01-2012, 03:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Then get a standard cable box. Less expensive. tongue.gif
post #5 of 11 Old 10-01-2012, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Would you by chance know of anything other than a cable box that would be compatible? Thanks!
post #6 of 11 Old 10-01-2012, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehigh View Post

Hello All - I apologize if this is a common thread however I was unsuccessful in my search for a solution.
I recently purchased an Optoma HD66 Projector for a home theater and have decided that I would like to try to use it for cable TV as well as movies and video games. I am however running into a wall here because I cannot figure out how to connect the coaxial cable from my wall to the projector without using some sort of medium. I've heard that it is possible using a cable box but in this case there is no box to use as it is currently in use elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehigh View Post

Would you by chance know of anything other than a cable box that would be compatible? Thanks!
Don't fret, they are still making Cable Boxes. That is the easiest, and probably cheapest method. There are some tuners available but odds are your Cable Provider will someday scramble their channels (if they haven't already). I was faced with that choice and chose to build a HTPC. Not cheap, though. I've probably got around $500 into it but I don't pay cable box rental fees and I get HiDef feeds of the cable channels I buy. I have three separate tuners available so I can watch or record up to 3 different shows at the same time. I can also play DVDs, BluRays and streaming content. You can find out more about HTPC from the HTPC forum \/ \/ down there.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-02-2012, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

hmm. I was kind of hoping there would be some sort of TV tuner I could purcahse and use like s-video for picture and connect my surround to that. Any ideas? If not, i will more than likely go the route of getting an HD box just to use the HDMI out
post #8 of 11 Old 10-02-2012, 12:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Options:
1) if your cableco still has analog channels, a VCR will work. RF cable in.... composite or S-Video out. (you may not get all of the channels you pay for)
2) If your cableco has converted to all digital (QAM), you can get a standalone "clear QAM" tuner. BUT! It will only provide the channels that are sent unencrypted (typically locals only). If yout cableco encrypts everything (like TWC in New York), nothing will work except renting a cable box.
3) run a long composite or HDMI cable from the existing cable box to the projector. (same channel on both TV's)
4) move the existing cable box to the projector's location and run a long composite to the other TV. (same channel on both TV's.
5) get a TV tuner card that supports Cablecard and build an HTPC (if your cableco rents cablecards)
6) purchase a TiVO, subscribe to the TiVO service and rent a Cablecard. (if your cableco rents cablecards)
7) just rent another cable box. Quite simple. biggrin.gif
post #9 of 11 Old 10-02-2012, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Cable box it is then. I really appreciate all of your guidance, thanks for the info!
post #10 of 11 Old 10-03-2012, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Yeah, cable companies have it set up so you're almost (almost) forced to lease their equipment. It all depends on what channels you want and what your cable provider will send (varies.)

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #11 of 11 Old 10-03-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Yeah, cable companies have it set up so you're almost (almost) forced to lease their equipment.
Not almost.... most. wink.gif Not only cable, but satellite, FiOS and others.
Quote:
It all depends on what channels you want and what your cable provider will send (varies.)
The key phrase is, "what channels you want (without a box/cablecard)". As stated many times.... (analog excepted for the short term), the only channels that are sent unencrypted, by most providers, are "locals" only.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page