Is there a standalone device to take the place of my TV's digital tuner capabilities? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-05-2012, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Essentially if I was paying for cable service, I would run the coax into the cable box, HDMI from the cable box to my receiver, and my receiver would transmit everything to the TV and speakers.

Now I'd like to either take an HDTV antennae (such as the paper leaf) or a coax cable from the wall (although I have no cable service there are channels coming through) and plug it into a device that can then plug into my receiver.

So far the only thing I've found that doesn't have a monthly subscription is the Kworld KW-SA295-Q DE, are there any other recommended devices like this?

I guess what I don't understand is how my TV can have a digital tuner built in, but some other device can't have a digital tuner built in without a monthly cost. Prior to HDTV I would just plug a coax cable into a cheap VCR, and the VCR could output using RGB. So is there a way to do this with a well-known device?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-05-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142

There's a new 8th Generation Series (53X) of the Magnavox std def HDD/DVD recorders with some DVR-like op. features..

Click the 1st link in my sig. foir info, if interested.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-06-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
There are ATSC (off-air) and/or QAM (cable) tuners all over the place. Magnavox, Samsung, ChannelMaster, Zinwell, and RCA are just a few of them.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #4 of 9 Old 10-06-2012, 08:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by akevit View Post

I guess what I don't understand is how my TV can have a digital tuner built in, but some other device can't have a digital tuner built in without a monthly cost. Prior to HDTV I would just plug a coax cable into a cheap VCR, and the VCR could output using RGB. So is there a way to do this with a well-known device?

Nothing special about your TV's tuner. You just need to find something with a QAM tuner. DVD recorders tend to have them, as do many standalone boxes as mentioned. Works the same way your VCR would have with analog signals.

Cable cos have restricted what they send "in the clear", but if your content with what the TV tunes without a cable box, a QAM equipped device will tune the same channels.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #5 of 9 Old 10-07-2012, 07:48 AM

Liked: 12
I guess what I don't understand is what OP is trying to do.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-07-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gring40 View Post

I guess what I don't understand is what OP is trying to do.
The RF connector on his TV set is broken. He wants to be able to watch TV, whether it be OTA or clearQAM, which would necessitate an external tuner connected to his TV set via either HDMI or component cables.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-07-2012, 10:19 AM

Liked: 12
Different thread, I think. OP never said that, and seems MIA.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-07-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

You're right -- that was a different thread. The OP stated that his CATV STB was run to his AVR, which then fed his TV set. It seems that he's dropped his cable package (perhaps keeping internet), and is looking for a way to watch his HDTV through his AVR.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-07-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Does your TV set have a digital audio output? If so, just run a cable from your TV to your AVR, and use your TV's tuner. Heck of a lot cheaper than buying an STB.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV