RF Coaxial to Component adapter?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-01-2012, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all!
I have a sweet 47" HDTV, and until today I had a Comcast HD/DVR receiver. Of course, they charge a ridiculous extra monthly fee for it, and so with $$ being tight, decided to go back to standard Cable.
I get the new Receiver home, and notice it has only coax out, or the OLD single video (yellow) and red/white (audio out) connection out. Not even a friggin S-video out?!
I know that without the HD subscription to HD, I cannot get HD, but the picture is HORRIBLE using the ancient yellow/red/white connection. I'm thinking that if I can find an adapter that I can connect to the coax out from the cable tuner, and has component (RGB) plugs on the other end, it will at least improve the picture on my 1080p TV...
Do they make such a connector?
I have a coax in on my LCD TV, but that will run the cable signal from the box into the tuner in my TV, and that won't work, because it has to do a channel search if connected to coax, and the cable converter box will not allow my TV to do the search.
I used to be able to connect my cable directly from the wall to the TV, and do a channel search, and it would find 50+ Analog Channels and 250+ digital channels. Worked great. But then, the evil cable companies went all digital, and made it to where you now have to use their box, the "Tuner 1/Tuner 2" inputs are useless now.
Does anyone know if, and where I may find a converter that is simply a coax in (from cable receiver) and a Component (RGB) cable coming out to connect to my Component in on my TV?
I see a lot of converters, but they are boxes (and expensive) and look to be converters for people who have analog TV's and need to convert from digital signal to analog. This I don't need. The others are coaxial to HDMI, or vice versa, and both my HDMI ports on my TV are already used.
Any help finding the converter would be greatly appreciated. And I realize that such converter will NOT give me HD TV, but should give me a much better picture than simply one video input/2 audio outputs.
Kind of like the old days of AM radio in cars... Just changing from one speaker to two 9" speakers (even though it didn't give me stereo), improved the sound greatly.

Thanks in advance!

CJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-01-2012, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Not gonna happen. Your picture quality will actually be worse using the coax (RF) output of the box.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-02-2012, 04:01 AM

Liked: 11
You can find lifetime subscibtion series 3 tivos fairly cheap will give you coax in and RGB out, will need card for digital channels will get analog and any clear QAM without one.
post #4 of 11 Old 11-02-2012, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the info... Wife is whining about no DVR, but I could care less, sounds like a hassle to go the TiVo route (for something I don't really care about).... I do have an old DVR, but since the Comcast went all Digital, it hasn't been of any use since I would have to have the cable box on and tuned to the channel we wanted to record anyway.
Unless you that are smarter than me know a way around that?

Thanks again for the help folks!

Ooops, forgot to add that changing my HDTV from 16:9 to 4:3 helped a lot with the crappy picture... Still far from HD, but better yen it was.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-02-2012, 12:11 PM

Liked: 12
Sounds like your cableco is encrypting the local channels, which is why connecting the cable directly to the TV doesn't work, right?

The coax output from the STB should be ch3, so you can just set the TV there manually and tune with the STB, no searching required.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-02-2012, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gring40 View Post

Sounds like your cableco is encrypting the local channels, which is why connecting the cable directly to the TV doesn't work, right?
Correct... I found out not because they informed me, but because suddenly my TV was telling me "no signal detected".. I called them, the THEN informed me that I needed a box, so the basturds encrypted specifically so people wanting full use of the now common HDTV would be forced to pay an extra $20 to get the box capable of HD output...
Quote:
The coax output from the STB should be ch3, so you can just set the TV there manually and tune with the STB, no searching required.
No need for that. I have several devices connected to my HDTV, and so I switch between devices with remote... I was just thinking that since the input to my returned HD Comcast receiver had simpe coax in, and HDMI and Component (R/G/B) out, and I got full 1080P, so if I could find a coax to plug into the box, and the TV Out end had either HDMI or Component (or is it Composit?) R/G/B on it, then I would get a better picture quality (as I did with the Cable box that had Coax (RG-6?) input. But maybe the box upscaled the signal internally?
I do see Coax to HDMI boxes/converters for sale, which if I'm correct about cable boxes upscaling to HDMI, then that's probably what these Coax to HDMI boxes do also.
But they are simply too expensive ($150 and up) for me to consider.

Next question... My wife is very unhappy we can't record, pause, etc. anymore, and wants me to go back to the HD/DVR box (and adding $20/mo to my bill), but I'm looking into just buying a TiVo type unit instead (at least I'd own it).. But how would I get past the encryption?
Does anyone know about this? I would think that since Comcast (and possibly other providers) have gone pure digital, and encrypted the stream, is TiVo even an option? Or are we stuck with HAVING to pay their extra fee if we want DVR AND Cable TV?

Thanks again, hope someone can answer my latest questions...
post #7 of 11 Old 11-02-2012, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 209
I've got around $500 into a HTPC. I have three tuners available which I can watch or record with in any combination. The tuner is a HDHomeRun prime and the cable card it requires is free from ComCast. At $20 a month saved (times 2, as I also can watch TV on my main PC) the payback time is around 2 years.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-02-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christof60 View Post

Thanks so much for the info... Wife is whining about no DVR, but I could care less, sounds like a hassle to go the TiVo route (for something I don't really care about).... I do have an old DVR, but since the Comcast went all Digital, it hasn't been of any use since I would have to have the cable box on and tuned to the channel we wanted to record anyway.
Some DVR's have IR port for blaster to control a cable box, what brand and model is it?
post #9 of 11 Old 11-02-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:

Next question... My wife is very unhappy we can't record, pause, etc. anymore, and wants me to go back to the HD/DVR box (and adding $20/mo to my bill), but I'm looking into just buying a TiVo type unit instead (at least I'd own it).. But how would I get past the encryption?
Does anyone know about this? I would think that since Comcast (and possibly other providers) have gone pure digital, and encrypted the stream, is TiVo even an option? Or are we stuck with HAVING to pay their extra fee if we want DVR AND Cable TV?
Thanks again, hope someone can answer my latest questions...
That's what the cable card is for usually only a couple of bucks a month for it, and if you return the cable box will get some $ knocked of your bill for using your own equipment
post #10 of 11 Old 11-04-2012, 11:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

TiVo wouldn't exist if it couldn't decrypt cable channels. That's what the cableCARD slots are for. Comcast has (in some areas) provided a free cableCARD. Otherwise, it'll be a nominal fee of like $3 a month or less.

TiVo you can either buy the box and pay a monthly fee (I think it's like $12 a month) or pay a onetime lifetime fee ($500.) A lifetime enabled TiVo is also easy to resell if you're inclined. TiVo also streams content from Netflix and other online services.

The old Moxi DVRs also had slots for the cards, and you can buy cableCARD compatible tuners for PCs, which will work with some DVR software. Up to you which route you want to take.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #11 of 11 Old 11-09-2012, 09:22 PM

comcast in downtown chicago is charging $8.95 per cable cards (for tivo) or rent their lame box for about $8
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page