Antenna coax to hdmi converter - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-10-2012, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently ended my relationship with Direct TV and have gone to over the air antenna. When I built the house I on put only an hdmi cable in the wall. I need to be able to connect my antenna to some kind of inexpensive device to be able to send the signal to the tv via hdmi. Have tried routing coax in wall, no way. I would consider a new reciever if that would work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-10-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Purchase an OTA/ATSC receiver/tuner to replace the D* receiver/tuner. You can use the existing HDMI cable.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-10-2012, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Where do I find such a thing? If I am understanding correctly I will have to have some kind of tuner?
post #4 of 9 Old 11-10-2012, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Try this link. Not many making OTA and Cable tuners anymore. I have a Samsung but it is out of production.
www.amazon.com/ePVision-PHD-205LE-Tuner-Pass-through.../2[/B]
post #5 of 9 Old 11-10-2012, 06:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfouts View Post

Where do I find such a thing? If I am understanding correctly I will have to have some kind of tuner?
You can get external OTA tumer virtually anywhere. It's possible that your TV has a ATSC tuner. So.... your choice is to purchase and external tuner and use the existing HDMI cable or go the expense of running (or pay to have someone run) a coax cable from the antenna to the TV.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-11-2012, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. routing the cable is starting to look better all the time. I was able to find over the air tuners with rca out, not so many with hdmi out. Can I run the rca's to my receiver and still get that antenna signal through the receiver with the hdmi I have running from the receiver?

To give you an idea what I have, I am using a newer Denon receiver as a central hub to send signals from a Sony BD, an Apple TV and formerly Direct TV to now ota antenna. The hdmi from tv to Denon takes quite a path which would be difficult to duplicate with a coax and the hdmi will not budge so I cannot use it to pull through with.

Thanks for all the help
Marc
post #7 of 9 Old 01-17-2013, 05:29 PM

Did you ever figure this out? I'm in the same boat as you. I have a HDMI cable through the wall going from my Denon 1712 to my TV. There is a coax on the back of my Denon, can I bring the over the air antenna to the Denon? Not sure if it will bring the signal to my TV through the HDMI. Haven't been able to figure it out yet.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-17-2013, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

I purchased a Chanel Master tuner and it allowed me to make the connections. It works but not real happy with the unit. Too expensive, not great quality, and it reduced my signal strength from the antenna so reception not so good. Haven't found any other options so it will have to do for now.

Good luck
Marc
post #9 of 9 Old 01-18-2013, 09:40 PM

yeah,Not sure if it will bring the signal to my TV through the HDMI. Haven't been able to figure it out yet.thank you 1.gif
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV