Need info to run 2 HDTV's on 1 HD Cable Box with Dual Tuner.... - AVS Forum
Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV > Need info to run 2 HDTV's on 1 HD Cable Box with Dual Tuner....
Knights's Avatar Knights 10:49 AM 12-12-2012
Hi Guys, I been searching around to get some info on how I can run the setup that I want to do. I saw some threads on here but can't find anything on this setup.

Right now I have a 55" LED hung on the wall, But I want to add a 2nd hdtv on above it maybe a 42" so that when I change to playing on xbox the 2nd tv will turn on and I can watch tv on it while playing xbox on the main tv. I use a turtle beach headset so I would also change the surround sound to the 2nd tv while the xbox mode is on. I have 1 HD cable box from comcast and wanted to see how I can got both tv's to work on it with this set up??.

Also, When not playing xbox I would sometimes like to have both tv's on if i want to watch 2 games at the same time. (Main tv will have the surround sound 2nd tv with the tv sound of course) but this will require dual tuner to watch different channels at the same time which I don't know if it's possible or not. Any suggestions??

I use a Harmony 900 remote for my theater system so I would program it to run these setups.

Thanks in advance for any helpful info or suggestions.

Knights's Avatar Knights 07:21 AM 12-18-2012
I was hoping to have some replies on this topic. Anyone have any suggestions for my next home project??
I guess worst case scenario would be forget about watching 2 tv's at the same time and stick to just having the top tv work while i'm gaming on the main tv.
Tulpa's Avatar Tulpa 09:38 AM 12-18-2012
It's kind of hard to parse out exactly what you want to do. Sounds like you want the sound system to be interchangeable between the two TVs, get the headset in on the mix, as well as everything seamlessly turn on and off simultaneously. You'd probably need more than a Harmony remote, and need some kind of controller (like an iPad or Android tablet, or a dedicated one.)
Knights's Avatar Knights 10:51 AM 12-18-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

It's kind of hard to parse out exactly what you want to do. Sounds like you want the sound system to be interchangeable between the two TVs, get the headset in on the mix, as well as everything seamlessly turn on and off simultaneously. You'd probably need more than a Harmony remote, and need some kind of controller (like an iPad or Android tablet, or a dedicated one.)

Well, I have the sound output is connected to the theater system for the surround sound. Basically i just want the cable box to switch from the main tv to a different tv when the main tv goes on game mode. I'm guessing that if i get a HDMI Hub or something I can have the dvr box work on the 2nd tv.
Dropkick Murphy's Avatar Dropkick Murphy 06:21 AM 12-19-2012
A dual tuner DVR will only output 1 channel at a time. 2 separate channels = 2 separate boxes. You could connect an HD antenna to the second TV to watch a different channel while viewing an HD channel from the cable box on the main TV.

Everything you want can be achieved but it's going to be very messy and difficult to control, sound quality will suffer as well.

What is the make/model of your AV Receiver?
Up
Mobile  Desktop