How to fit splitters behind wall mounts - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-08-2013, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, we recently moved to an apartment that has the following daisy chain wiring:

source -> living room, splitter -> bedroom 1, splitter -> bedroom 2

The splitters are each inside of the wall outlet (or whatever those boxes are called that are behind the wall plate). For whatever reason, the 2nd output for each splitter was unused, so the wall plates were just holes with nothing coming out of them. We wanted TV in the living room and bedroom 1, so I connected an additional coax cable to each splitter, and things are working fine.

Problem is, the wall plates are currently removed, the splitters and cables are popping out of the walls, and I can't figure out how to fit them behind each wall plate. I can cram the splitters inside the outlets, so I was thinking I could do something like splitter -> short (3 inch?) coax cable -> coax coupler in plate -> long coax cable -> TV. But I can't find any coax cables short enough that would fit inside the outlet.

I guess I could just shorten a longer coax cable to the length that I want, but I've never done that before. How do people normally do this? Is it unusual for the splitters to be directly inside the outlets like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-08-2013, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterNES View Post

Hello, we recently moved to an apartment that has the following daisy chain wiring:
source -> living room, splitter -> bedroom 1, splitter -> bedroom 2
The splitters are each inside of the wall outlet (or whatever those boxes are called that are behind the wall plate). For whatever reason, the 2nd output for each splitter was unused, so the wall plates were just holes with nothing coming out of them. We wanted TV in the living room and bedroom 1, so I connected an additional coax cable to each splitter, and things are working fine.
Problem is, the wall plates are currently removed, the splitters and cables are popping out of the walls, and I can't figure out how to fit them behind each wall plate. I can cram the splitters inside the outlets, so I was thinking I could do something like splitter -> short (3 inch?) coax cable -> coax coupler in plate -> long coax cable -> TV. But I can't find any coax cables short enough that would fit inside the outlet.
I guess I could just shorten a longer coax cable to the length that I want, but I've never done that before. How do people normally do this? Is it unusual for the splitters to be directly inside the outlets like this?
Not normal or even recommended but unfortunately not uncommon. Why not just use a plate with a hole big enough to pass your connector through and and skip the 3" cable and f-81? That eliminates a bunch of connectors. Or, if you shop around you might find splitters that are designed to be used with wall plates where one of the output ports sticks out the side so it will stick through the plate.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-09-2013, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Not normal or even recommended but unfortunately not uncommon. Why not just use a plate with a hole big enough to pass your connector through and and skip the 3" cable and f-81? That eliminates a bunch of connectors.

Yeah, that was my backup plan. Not quite as attractive as a snug F-81 in the wall plate, but I'm guessing I don't have too many options...just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something obvious. Thanks.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-09-2013, 07:08 AM

Liked: 12
Properly, a distribution system would be wired with taps, not splitters, though they might look similar. Sure you've got splitters?
post #5 of 9 Old 01-09-2013, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
You can get some taps designed to be behind wallplates at http://www.techtoolsupply.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=398. You can find those splitters at http://www.nsccom.com/ms-2d.aspx.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-09-2013, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Knock the in-wall boxes out and replace with an "old work box" http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/28-6355 I just put the link up as a reference. You can buy these at Home Depot / Lowe's.

post #7 of 9 Old 01-09-2013, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gring40 View Post

Properly, a distribution system would be wired with taps, not splitters, though they might look similar. Sure you've got splitters?

Yes - 600MHz ones that looked like they were from the 80's. I replaced them with my own 1GHz splitters.

I already ordered these splitters meant for wall plates: http://www.hometech.com/hts/products/video/splitters/rf/ga-wp.html?item=GA-WPA2. Thanks for cluing me in on taps, though; I'll try those next if I notice any signal problems.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-11-2013, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterNES View Post

I already ordered these splitters meant for wall plates: http://www.hometech.com/hts/products/video/splitters/rf/ga-wp.html?item=GA-WPA2 .

Those are genuinely wierd looking products.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-11-2013, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntAltMike View Post

Those are genuinely wierd looking products.
Yes, they are. But the specs look good and the price is right.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page