Cancelled cable, can I still get broadcast channels? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 01-17-2013, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently cancelled my cable service. But with the cable box (which I'll have to return soon), I can still get the local broadcast channels (NBC, ABC, etc). Without the cable box, I get nothing, even with a QAM tuner. Do I have any options for getting just the broadcast channels, without using an antenna?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 01-18-2013, 04:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 234
eek.gif
You cancelled your cable service, why are you trying to get something from a service you don't pay for? Most would say that is "theft of service".

Anyway, if the cable provider does their due diligence, they will eventually disconnect your feed from the pole/ped in a few days/weeks.

Get an antenna.
post #3 of 28 Old 01-18-2013, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by eboy View Post

I recently cancelled my cable service. But with the cable box (which I'll have to return soon), I can still get the local broadcast channels (NBC, ABC, etc). Without the cable box, I get nothing, even with a QAM tuner. Do I have any options for getting just the broadcast channels, without using an antenna?
No. Put up an antenna. OTA will give you a lot more channels than you'll get stealing from cable.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #4 of 28 Old 01-18-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egnlsn View Post

OTA will give you a lot more channels than you'll get stealing from cable.

Well.... that really depends upon location, terrestrial restrictions, the type of antenna and where it is mounted wink.gif
post #5 of 28 Old 01-18-2013, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Personally, I don't consider getting NBC, ABC and CBS "stealing" cable.

I just wanted to know if I could get these channels legally without an antenna.

Anyways, thanks for the responses.
post #6 of 28 Old 01-18-2013, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Anyway, if the cable provider does their due diligence, they will eventually disconnect your feed from the pole/ped in a few days/weeks.

I believe they already capped off my line. Which is why I can only get the national broadcast channels. But I guess even these channels need a cable box for de-encryption.
post #7 of 28 Old 01-18-2013, 10:01 AM

Liked: 12
FCC has ruled in favor of encrypting local channels (over cable), but implementation is another matter.
post #8 of 28 Old 01-18-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

I believe they already capped off my line. Which is why I can only get the national broadcast channels. But I guess even these channels need a cable box for de-encryption.

Yeah, if your QAM tuner can't pick them up, you're boned.

Do you also subscribe to cable Internet and are keeping that? Or did you get rid of cable TV and internet as well? If the former, some have reported picking up locals with QAM, but in your case they likely thought ahead and cut you off from even them (If you're not subscribing to any TV, they have no obligation to provide even locals.) It may be the cable box is receiving the last remnants and as soon as you've returned it, it's done.

The others are correct. An antenna is the only reliable and legal way to get locals if you're dropping cable. Subscribing to "lifeline" basic is the only way to get the locals back over cable.
Quote:

Well, what you personally believe doesn't mean a whole lot when it comes to how this all works. For the cable company to keep sending locals, they do ask that you at least get their lifeline basic service and pay the small fee.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #9 of 28 Old 01-18-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Huh???? If they "capped" your line (or disconnected the feed from the pole/ped), then there's no way you're getting a cable signal.

Perhaps you have x-mitters very close to your home and your TV tuner is picking up channels via the ATSC tuner via the dead cable. That's probably why you can't receive a stable signal. You need an antenna. smile.gif
post #10 of 28 Old 01-18-2013, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Do you also subscribe to cable Internet and are keeping that? Or did you get rid of cable TV and internet as well? If the former, some have reported picking up locals with QAM, but in your case they likely thought ahead and cut you off from even them (If you're not subscribing to any TV, they have no obligation to provide even locals.) It may be the cable box is receiving the last remnants and as soon as you've returned it, it's done.

Yes, I still have cable internet. But absolutely no local channels with QAM. Only with the cable box.

Maybe the internet feed somehow has the local channels that can only be encrypted with the cable box (forgive me if that sounds stupid. I have no idea how it works)?

Anyway, I'm gonna go ahead and get an antenna. Thanks for the info everyone.
post #11 of 28 Old 01-18-2013, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:

Yes, I still have cable internet. But absolutely no local channels with QAM. Only with the cable box.

Maybe the internet feed somehow has the local channels that can only be encrypted with the cable box (forgive me if that sounds stupid. I have no idea how it works)?

Anyway, I'm gonna go ahead and get an antenna. Thanks for the info everyone.
[SARCASM] You're forgiven. And thanks for being part of that great unwashed mass who believe that free signal from the cable company is an entitlement. Folks like you are the very reason there will soon be no more clear QAM anywhere. [/SARCASM]
post #12 of 28 Old 01-19-2013, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

[SARCASM] ...great unwashed mass who believe that free signal from the cable company is an entitlement.[/SARCASM]
Does that take us above the 47% mark?

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #13 of 28 Old 01-19-2013, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

[SARCASM] You're forgiven. And thanks for being part of that great unwashed mass who believe that free signal from the cable company is an entitlement. Folks like you are the very reason there will soon be no more clear QAM anywhere. [/SARCASM]
Snark. Terrific. What does my question have anything to do with qam? You can't use qam anymore because the cable companies want you to pay for a cable box. Period. All I wanted to know is, can i get the local channels for free legally? If so, I'm gonna go ahead and do that. If not, I'll get an antenna. Just like you would like to get cable without a box, if legal. Simple.
post #14 of 28 Old 01-20-2013, 05:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You can't use qam anymore because the cable companies want you to pay for a cable box. Period.
Not an accurate assumption. All digital cable is QAM. Most (close to all) cable providers do not encrypt "locals". Therefore, any TV with an internal QAM tuner (set up/configured properly) can get those channels with a subscription without the need for an STB.

OTOH, if your provider is one those very few cableco's that encrypt everything (like TWC in NYC), you're SOL.
Where is your location and who is your provider?
post #15 of 28 Old 01-26-2013, 12:02 AM
Advanced Member

If the locals are encrypted, I would think that they would have shut off the box's ability to unscramble them as of the day you canceled tv service. Maybe the reason your tv can't tune them directly is that you have the tuner set to "air", "antenna" etc. instead of "cable". Or maybe your tv is one of the few models that has an ATSC tuner but no QAM tuner. Anyway, watching any cable tv channels when you don't subscribe to any tv service at all is theft of service. However, if you subscribe to some tier of tv service, you can legally watch any channel your tv is capable of tuning in, even if that channel is not officially part of the tier you subscribe to, provided that you did not tamper with any traps and are not using any unauthorized descrambling technology.

How can we say "the digital transition is complete" when thousands of low power stations are still broadcasting in analog?
LOW POWER ANALOG NEEDS TO DIE NOW!!!
post #16 of 28 Old 01-26-2013, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
About 15 years ago when i moved into my Apt. there was a (dead)cable line there,i didn't know it was dead yet,so i connected it to my tv to see what would happen,sure 'nuff i got tv,just the locals,but for a short while(a couple of hrs.) i 'thought' i was getting a cable signal, but what was really happening was that the dead cable line was acting as an antenna and that's why i was getting tv. Maybe that's what has happened to the OP, if so then the OP isn't stealing a darn thing.
post #17 of 28 Old 01-26-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Like I suggested in post #9.
post #18 of 28 Old 01-27-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Comcast just announced they are killing off analog service in Utah (at least, the SLC area) in March.
I haven't checked with their engineers yet, but I wonder if the locals (and the little bit of other stuff) will remain Clear QAM. I'll have to check on it, and let folks know.

It may apply nationwide.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #19 of 28 Old 01-27-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It may apply nationwide.
The 'sunset' is April here in Oly WA. And they are supposed to offer an alternate way to get clear QAM if they scramble it. AFAIK there still isn't a device for that.
post #20 of 28 Old 07-11-2013, 08:52 PM

Liked: 13
@OP, you can legally plug a coax cable into a cable jack in your home and scanning for any channels that are not encrypted. In my area these are the local hd broadcast channels.

I love it when idiots play policeman and lawyer. Peanut gallery, please provide backup that it is illegal or that I can be prosecuted for taking a coax cable and bridging the connection between a cable jack in my wall and watching what is avaliable, no mods. Oh right, you can't.

BTW, the idiots I refer to are the jerks that chastised this guy for asking a legitimate question and even tried tried make the guy/gal feel dumb. I hope you all at least work for the cable company cause that's the only way I can understand how you could read your own comment and hit reply.
THeCozen1 and bear123 like this.
post #21 of 28 Old 07-12-2013, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r031nH009 View Post

@OP, you can legally plug a coax cable into a cable jack in your home and scanning for any channels that are not encrypted. In my area these are the local hd broadcast channels.

I love it when idiots play policeman and lawyer. Peanut gallery, please provide backup that it is illegal or that I can be prosecuted for taking a coax cable and bridging the connection between a cable jack in my wall and watching what is avaliable, no mods. Oh right, you can't.

BTW, the idiots I refer to are the jerks that chastised this guy for asking a legitimate question and even tried tried make the guy/gal feel dumb. I hope you all at least work for the cable company cause that's the only way I can understand how you could read your own comment and hit reply.
Boy, you come on like a gangbuster with that as a first post! Especially on a thread that's been dormant for several months and probably has dozens more on the same subject. I love it when idiots don't look at the date before they post. I stand by my post(s) that people who think they're entitled to something for nothing are called 'thieves' and as such will be the demise of non-scrambled CATV.
HDMI Guy and egnlsn like this.
post #22 of 28 Old 07-12-2013, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
So you are still a customer internet only.
Some of the channels are still there (for now).

As far as OTA look at
antennaweb.org or something similar and see what is available to you, purchase the appropriate antenna.
post #23 of 28 Old 07-12-2013, 06:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

@olyteddy

Ditto. smile.gif
olyteddy likes this.
post #24 of 28 Old 07-12-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by r031nH009 View Post

Please cite the law that specifically states that one can plug into the a Cable System without paying for the service and is entitled to the unencrypted feed, before you call anyone anything derogatory.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #25 of 28 Old 01-26-2014, 08:30 AM

He should continue free cable because legally he has given "constructive receipt".

If they (INC.) are too damned lazy or just plain incompetent why not? They have not done what their client requested.

What are you some moralistic religious nut?

Ripping people off is how we make $ here in Amerikay.

post #26 of 28 Old 01-26-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcull3 View Post

He should continue free cable because legally he has given "constructive receipt".

If they (INC.) are too damned lazy or just plain incompetent why not? They have not done what their client requested.

What are you some moralistic religious nut?

Ripping people off is how we make $ here in Amerikay.
Signed up today to dis a 7 month idle thread? Congratulations. You and your type is why Clear QAM (unscrambled channels) are going away. rolleyes.gif
post #27 of 28 Old 01-26-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

@olyteddy

Ditto. smile.gif

LOL! Less typing. biggrin.gif
post #28 of 28 Old 01-27-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

I just wanted to know if I could get these channels legally without an antenna.

Anyways, thanks for the responses.

I personally don't think that taking your stuff is "stealing" either. I totally agree with you. What's up with this "mine" and "theft" stuff.

We all should be sharing stuff.

Nice wheels! biggrin.gif

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page