Getting cable TV to a projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-18-2013, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok I have a question of how do you get cable tv feed via coax to a projector without a tuner. Im in a situation that I would like do just that. I have cable via Comcast and have a small digital box that only offers coax out that currently runs to a vcr with rca out. Without using the vcr how would I do this? I know when video games came out they had rf modulators that would do the opposite, take the rca out from the gaming unit and convert it to coax into the Tv. Im looking to do the opposite with a small device or if there is a better way Im all ears, can be hdmi or rca, the feed is not HD though so HDMI isnt required
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-18-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Comcast may have some standard def boxes that offer RCA (composite) outputs. You might be charged a small fee over what the digital box you have now does, but it takes the VCR out of the equation.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #3 of 8 Old 01-19-2013, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Comcast's basic, standard definition box with A/V outputs is very tiny, and free, last I knew.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-28-2013, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Anything other than going through Comcast. I do not have access to the account and working with the people that do is worthless. All the box has now is coax in coax out with ch3/4 selection.

Back in the day they had a RF modulator that would transfer RCA to coax, wonder if they have something that does the opposite? Looking online I cant find something just thought I would throw that out there
post #5 of 8 Old 01-28-2013, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Also, does not have to be RCA, could be HDMI if that matters
post #6 of 8 Old 01-28-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
VCRs (or DVD recorders) were about the only thing that did it, if a Comcast box isn't an option.

No dedicated converters that I ever saw.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #7 of 8 Old 02-04-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by 171farm View Post

Anything other than going through Comcast. I do not have access to the account and working with the people that do is worthless. All the box has now is coax in coax out with ch3/4 selection.

Back in the day they had a RF modulator that would transfer RCA to coax, wonder if they have something that does the opposite? Looking online I cant find something just thought I would throw that out there

If you can't get any more equipment through Comcast, the only thing I can that would work is to split the coax cable coming out of your box. One line into the vcr and the other into the projector.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-08-2013, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by 171farm View Post

The something that does the opposite is called a demodulator and it is exactly what is built into your vcr that is enabling your current video. You may find a standalone demodulator that will work with a channel 3 or 4 input provided by your existing Comcast box, but you won't be any better off than you are now. Nothing is going to magically make that modulated output look much better. If you were looking for better picture quality, you need a better cable box.

underachiever extraordinaire
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page