Setup Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, hopefully I can verbalize what I am trying to do so I can get an answer back. This will probably be wordy! So I might try to draw a vizio and attach if I confuse everyone!

Currently I have Dish TV running basic channels. Haven't cut the cable completely but the bill is $14 per month and includes DVR so the wife is happy. smile.gif The satellite is connected to my HD Dual Tuner VIP622 in the basement and we have the RF remotes. I split this via existing COAX through out the house so all TVs can get the two channels. We only have a smaller 35" 780 LCD or older CRT Tvs so SD was fine over COAX. Over the winter I picked up a non working 62" HD Mitsubishi Rear Projector at no cost and replaced the bulb (that was all that wrong with it!!). Now SD at 480i sucks on it smile.gif so I want to make a change in the setup using the existing cable runs and there I think is where I will run into trouble due to frequencies and interference.

I would like to move the HD Dual tuner to the room with the 62" TV, currently the satellite run terminates in the basement, so I would put a 2-way splitter at that end and continue the compressed signal to the Tuner to the outlet where tuner is, place another 2-way splitter between outlet and 'tuner in' port. Then run HDMI out to 62" TV, and then coax out from 'tuner out' to 2-way splitter and back over existing run to basement where that 2-way splitter already sits. From there attach the current setup to that spare port and continue to push SD out to the other TVs.

So the crux of the matter here is this:

Can I run over one coax cable the compressed signal to the tuner and then the uncompressed SD signal back out to house? Will this by itself cause frequency issues, also as the satellite will be connected to the 2-way splitter that sends out the compressed signal but then receives the uncompressed signal will that cause issues going back to the Dish?

If this cannot work I can fairly use a different run in a room that abuts into the family room, but as there is cement foundation I have to work around I would rather not. Lastly worst case I could always run the dish to the family room and come in through the siding.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Cheers

PT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I think you mean modulated video signal instead of compressed video signal. The problem with your setup is that the coax output of your converter box is designed to feed a single tv with a very short jumper therefore the signal strength is probably low once you start going through splitters. You are also describing a series or loop- through wiring configuration which inherently has high signal loss. You will probably need an amplifier.
Hope this helps.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

not sure if we are on the same path. as my output from the Dish receiver goes through a few splitters before going out to 4 tvs some 25 to 60' from the box and this works fine currently. The big question is can I run a signal from the satellite dish to a receiver and also have a signal coming back from the receiver over the same coax, or do I need to have dual coax runs so I can run it out to the rest of the house?
post #4 of 7 Old 01-20-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by caymangolfer View Post

The big question is can I run a signal from the satellite dish to a receiver and also have a signal coming back from the receiver over the same coax, or do I need to have dual coax runs so I can run it out to the rest of the house?
You can run satellite i.f. signals and VHF signals on the same cable in opposite directions at the same time, no problem. You just need a couple of diplexers.
caymangolfer likes this.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-21-2013, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Solved by egnlsn. Thanks!
post #6 of 7 Old 01-31-2013, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caymangolfer View Post

Solved by egnlsn. Thanks!

The diplexers came in last week and moved everything around yesterday and it works great! Exactly what I wanted to do, and Dish Network 'tech' was telling me no! Thanks again!
post #7 of 7 Old 01-31-2013, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
It's a good thing that you decided to not listen to him. Glad it has worked out. biggrin.gif

CIAO!

Ed N.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page