Coax wiring suggestions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-31-2013, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I saw some good threads on here about signal loss to cable splitting.. etc on here while doing my research on my problem and decided to reach out on here to some new ideas or re-affirm the ones I have.

So, I recently moved to a new place that I'm renting. It's a row-house with only one coax outlet in the living room. The row-houses are attached, so there is no space to run cable to the side of the building and there is no attic. Only way to route the coax would be through the walls.

Now, the cable drop comes from the back, through the basement which then goes through a partitioning wall to a basement bedroom closet which is routed upstairs to the living room. Now, what I was looking to do was to add an coax outlet to a bedroom room upstairs on the second floor and another outlet downstairs in the basement bedroom from which the cable somewhat runs through.

For some reason, it's hard to find good reviews for DC electricians or a reasonable priced one (someone quoted me 600 for doing what was said above). Factoring in signal loss from splitting the cable, I wanted to only use the one of the first split leg to the modem. Considering this, I figure I have only a couple options.

1) Going off the outlet in the living room, split the cable. One leg going to the modem while the other leg is split again. One leg of the second splitter is going upstairs to on bedroom while the other is rerouted back downstairs.

2) Going off the drop that comes through the basement, use a 4 way splitter. One leg stays in the basement, the other three are routed upstairs, two legs go to the living room and the other is routed to the second floor.

I don't know why this is causing me headaches to try and find someone that can accomplish this for me. I would do this myself, but I haven't really done anything as "in depth" besides wall mounting and routing cables behind the dry wall.

I was thinking option one was the best option, but I am not really too knowledgeable on this. Does anyone have a suggestions on a more efficient way to do this without sacrificing signal loss to the modem? Also anyone have a general idea of how much this would cost? Hope some one can help.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-01-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Option 1 would be the better of the two. You could always log in to the cable modem http://192.168.100.1 (connected directly to the incoming cable -- no splitter at all) and see what your signal levels are. If sufficient (>~+5 on the receive and <~+45 on the transmit), I would use a DC-9 rather than a 2-way splitter. The cable modem would be connected to the TAP leg, with the OUT leg going to the splitter that feeds your 2 TVs.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-01-2013, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, I figured 1 would be the best choice. I'll check the DC-9.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-01-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
You need to know the signal levels first in order to determine if you can use a directional coupler.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-01-2013, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I'll do that for sure. I'll access the modem when I'll get home.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page