VGA<-->Y/G PbCbB PrCrR HD VD, RCA/Cinch NOT HAPPENING? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-03-2013, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,..

I have a VGA signal I want to feed into an older Sony plasma KZ-42TS1E.
The Sony has Y/G PbCbB PrCrR HD VD, RCA/Cinch rca inputs.
I bought a VGA->RGB cable and hooked that up but no cigar,.. Sony won't display the signal.
Can anyone suggest my next step to try?

thanks.
-shawn

p.s. I'm trying to display an ATV (3), via a Kanex ATV Pro converter (converts HDMI into VGA), on the Sony. The ATV and converter are working great (if I hook up the VGA out to a VGA projector it displays fine). Googling VGA to RGB HD VD isn't giving me useful answers frown.gif sniff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-03-2013, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 286
EDIT:
Check your manual (page 20). Perhaps you just need to change the setting for input AV5 to "RGB".
http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4087364211.pdf
post #3 of 4 Old 07-12-2014, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

still no solution

@Ratman , thanks for the suggestion but no/hélas that did not help. Neither RGB nor COMPONENT works. BTW, I thought RGB *was* component video ( a video signal that has been split into two or more component channels). What's the deal with the KZ-42TS1E suggesting that these are different? I also toggled the DTV option with no help there (the manual says to do this with certain (unspecified) external RGB equipment).

I started to think it was a problem with the Apple DVI2VGA adapter,.. but connecting the vga end of that to a normal monitor shows that it works fine.

There must be something weird going on with the VGA2RGB cable (there are only 3 outputs on that cable so the sync signal must be going through one of them and the tv is ignoring that probably expecting to see it on the HD or VD input). I would have thought the Sony would have intelligently detected where the sync signal was.. or at least allowed us to specify composite-sync in some menu). <sigh>

I've read here that such a cable is only for sending OUT YPbPr from special non-standard VGA ports. I guess the VGA hole on Apple's DVI2VGA isn't one of those

shawn
(@drkdev on Twitter)
post #4 of 4 Old 07-12-2014, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

hmmm...

I just found this:

[VGA] commonly refereed to as 5 wire connection (cause there are 5 wires) if your TV takes in Component ( 3 RCA connectors, red, blue, green) then you have to get a different type of signal from your VGA output, and the mac will not convert the signal on the video card, like some PC used to to. You would need a device called a scan converter, these can be very expensive. unless you buy a used one, But be careful, don't get a crappy one from China, they will look like ****, get one from a good brand name such as TVone, Kramer, Extron, ScanDo. This is probably not the thing you wanted to hear, cause the cost will be more than the final outcome is worth, personally, I'd just get myself a new TV...
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page