Running coax questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-04-2013, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I am about to wire the house. When it was remodeled, a 1" conduit was placed in the walls and runs from the basement into the attic. The idea was to use it to run data, phone, and coax wires for the rooms on the second floor. 1st floor rooms will be wired through the basement.

For phone: I am running 1 riser to the attic, and then distributing to the bedrooms (4) through a distribution block.

For Eithernet: Running individual runs (8) from the switch in the basement to the bedrooms (4).

For Coax: That is where I have questions.

Plan was to run a single riser, and then use a splitter to deliver to bedrooms.

Coax, right now, is split in the basement via 4 way splitter (-7.5 dB) to the 3 feeds on the first floor, and to the riser to the attic.

Should I get an 8 way splitter (-11 dB drop) and run individual drops to the bedrooms on the second floor and rooms on the first floor, or is it OK to proceed with the original plan to split the already split signal in the attic?

Thanks!

P.S. I should add that 1 of the first floor feeds goes to the Ceton InfiniTV4 directly, and the other of the feeds is additionally split 4 ways and feed 2x old style SiliconDust HomeRuns (old ones have individual ports for the tuners, vs. new one having 1 port for 4 tuners). There are no signal issues with either Ceton nor SiliconDust tuners.

TV signal is generated by the Verizon FiOS ONT on site, and coax is only used for TV. Data is fed from ONT via Eithernet to our own router.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-05-2013, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
All outlets should be homerun to the closet or wiring panel. Running 1 cable from the panel to a splitter in the attic, which then feeds all of the outlets may look nicer and be easier, but it is too restrictive. It limits what you can do with any individual outlet. You would, however, become rather proficient in climbing into and out of your attic.

That being said, don't further split an already split line. If you are going to have a splitter in the attic with all bedrooms going to it, feed it from the ONT. At the ONT, you will have a 2-way splitter, with one leg going downstairs and the other leg going to the attic. With that many outlets, you may need to install a drop amp.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-05-2013, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by egnlsn View Post

All outlets should be homerun to the closet or wiring panel. Running 1 cable from the panel to a splitter in the attic, which then feeds all of the outlets may look nicer and be easier, but it is too restrictive. It limits what you can do with any individual outlet. You would, however, become rather proficient in climbing into and out of your attic.

That being said, don't further split an already split line. If you are going to have a splitter in the attic with all bedrooms going to it, feed it from the ONT. At the ONT, you will have a 2-way splitter, with one leg going downstairs and the other leg going to the attic. With that many outlets, you may need to install a drop amp.

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I am pretty good at getting up in the attic, having run all the network and phone drops.

I guess I should clarify, right now, ONT coax feeds into 3 PC based tuners (two duals and 1 quad = 8 tuners total) that tune and decrypt cable, and feed it into PC where it is matched with the guide downloaded over the internet. All of the tuning and recording is done by the PC, which is then in turn, feeds now decrypted signal to other TV's over the Ethernet network.

So, right now, coax is not being used. However, we may use coax in the future for OTA (when verizon starts to encrypt basic broadcast channels). But, I envsition having the antenna feed the same or modified PC based tuners so that OTA and "Cable" signals are mixed in the PC for seamless transition and tuning.

My main concern is futureproofing, I guess.

I may need another conduit, ha ha ha. with 10x Cat5E cables and one coax it is getting tight. I don't think I will be able to pull 3 more coax cables through...

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #4 of 6 Old 02-06-2013, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Always try and keep the drops balanced.
A good method is to draw things on a piece of graph paper.....
Show the two-way splitters as a "split" (1 in and 2 out), show the four-way splitters as a 2x split feeding two more 2xsplits, and so on. A three-way split is usually a 2x feeding one more 2x, and one direct, so one leg (usually marked on the unit) has less loss.
Draw in the runs as long, medium and short lines, figuring there will be about as much loss in a long line (of about 100", as in a single split.

Try to see what will keep each drop attenuated about the same as another. In a big house, you may have a couple of places where you feed from.
An amplifier will make up the total losses.
Home-run is good for most installations, though. Home-run is also a good idea, if you ever want to add satellite, since your switches would be in one spot.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #5 of 6 Old 02-27-2013, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish View Post

......Home-run is good for most installations, though. Home-run is also a good idea, if you ever want to add satellite, since your switches would be in one spot.

Home-run is a term I've read before but don't have a clear idea about; could someone describe it or provide a link to a description? Thanks
post #6 of 6 Old 02-27-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Individual cables from point A to point B instead of using a splitter to do the same thing.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page