How would I amplify this cable into my home? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-17-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, I would like to amplify the signal coming into my home since I'm now using Cetons using a +15 dB amplifier I already have.

I checked out my box outside and would like a little guidance on how to install this amplifier. I'm not sure what kind of cable that is running into the splitter.

How would you guys install this amplifier? The Cable TV and internet lines go to opposite sides of the house!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-17-2013, 04:05 PM

Liked: 12
No splitter showing. That's a ground block with the ground wire marked as "line in from street". I would assume what is marked as "internet" is your drop or feed. "To cable TV' goes through siding/wall into basement/crawl/garage/utility. That is where splits should be.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-18-2013, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The amplifier would go right where that ground block is, now. You'd also change the ground wire over to the amp's ground lug.
You'll need to install the power inserter someplace indoors, back-feeding the same cable. It will need to get DC power from the wall-wart transformer, which should be near the inserter.
If there is a splitter someplace, the power must be injected between the amp and the first splitter.....do you have more than one TV, or a TV AND internet modem?

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #4 of 6 Old 03-08-2013, 02:48 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkxmlr View Post

No splitter showing. That's a ground block with the ground wire marked as "line in from street". I would assume what is marked as "internet" is your drop or feed. "To cable TV' goes through siding/wall into basement/crawl/garage/utility. That is where splits should be.

+1 If what Jkxmlr said is true, then he could also place the amp in the basement (I'm assuming the point of entry is in the basement, could be garage/crawl/etc) before the first splitter. This way there is no need for a power inserter. Technically the ground should be left attached to the ground block as this is a first line of defense grounding spot. Wouldn't hurt to ground the amp as well to eliminate any electrical interference - but if lightning struck the pole, the grounding block should take away most of the surge first.

Also, if you have internet, then unless your amp is a forward & return amp, you should isolate your internet line, and only amp your tv's. Install a 2 way at the point of entry, 1st leg feeds internet, 2nd leg feeds amp, then the amp feeds all your tv's.

BTW, you should install some rubber grommits on that grounding block. Will help guard against corrosion and water penetration into the cable
post #5 of 6 Old 03-11-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
How bad are your signals at your devices?
post #6 of 6 Old 04-07-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Most amps work fine with internet. My parents are running that way now. You can put an amp out there, but it's better at the main split point. If the signal is too weak to get there, then the cable company has issues on their end, or the first part of your internal wiring is a mess.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page