DCT 700 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-19-2013, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I buy a DCT700 and hook it up to a tv that presently has a comcast DTA attached will I be able to use it? The DTA is not reliable and of course does not have on demand service I presently have digital cable and have 1 hd box on 1 tv and a dct700 on a second but would like to buy a dct700 and avoid the monthly lease fee of $8.00 per month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-20-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Doesn't it have to be provisioned by the Cable Company to be able to decrypt the stream?

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #3 of 9 Old 02-20-2013, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Yes
post #4 of 9 Old 02-20-2013, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarsh98 View Post

If I buy a DCT700 and hook it up to a tv that presently has a comcast DTA attached will I be able to use it? The DTA is not reliable and of course does not have on demand service I presently have digital cable and have 1 hd box on 1 tv and a dct700 on a second but would like to buy a dct700 and avoid the monthly lease fee of $8.00 per month.
They do make decent bookends, but I doubt any US cable co would activate a purchased one. I hear they might in Canada. Call your cable provider and ask.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-21-2013, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the info. Glad I didn't just buy one I'll check with comcast but I would imagine they will still charge me $8.00 if I try to hook up anything other then the DTA to the 3rd TV. They are not knowing for giving anything away.

jmarsh98
post #6 of 9 Old 02-22-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarsh98 View Post

Thanks for the info. Glad I didn't just buy one I'll check with comcast but I would imagine they will still charge me $8.00 if I try to hook up anything other then the DTA to the 3rd TV. They are not knowing for giving anything away.

jmarsh98

I believe CableCard is free with Comcast, but you will have to build your own DVR (if you want multi-room experience) or get TiVO and pay $20/month, which is what you are trying to avoid in the first place.

With a CableCard you can potentially view 6 different programs on 6 different TV's if you go with Windows Vista/7/8 solution.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #7 of 9 Old 02-22-2013, 09:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Comcast FAQ about Cablecard fees:
http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/about-cablecards/#cc9

Look at the "note". If I'm interpreting correctly, it seems to me that they may/will charge a monthly additional outlet/drop fee.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-22-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Comcast FAQ about Cablecard fees:
http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/about-cablecards/#cc9

Look at the "note". If I'm interpreting correctly, it seems to me that they may/will charge a monthly additional outlet/drop fee.

Only if you need to connect additional TV's using their service. With a single CableCard in a Windows system you can decrypt 6 streams (with approproate tuner) and then distribute them your self over the home network, without having to pay for additional boxes, or outlet fees.

You literally only need one cable drop, to connect to the tuner, and the rest can be done over network.

post #9 of 9 Old 02-23-2013, 06:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

Only if you need to connect additional TV's using their service.
I believe that's what it becomes once the DTA is replaced with customer provided equipment and a cablecard. It's best to contact Comcast to get clarification of their pricing policy.
Quote:
With a single CableCard in a Windows system you can decrypt 6 streams (with approproate tuner) and then distribute them your self over the home network, without having to pay for additional boxes, or outlet fees.

You literally only need one cable drop, to connect to the tuner, and the rest can be done over network..
The OP is asking about cablecard to replace a DTA on one TV. If he/she is interested in building an HTPC and networking that is always an option (and probably more expensive than a DTA or cablecard). But..... if interested, that should perhaps be another thread. wink.gif
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page