Which Belden RG6 cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 02-20-2013, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey digital cable experts, I need your advice. Which Belden coaxial cable - 7916A Quad RG6 with Thomas & Betts Snap-N-Seal connectors or 4.5 GHz Precision RG6 with F-Conn Gold connectors - will be a better choice from the outside cable splitter into my home? The cables on this three way splitter have been there for a long time, in fact there's two black cables which have no labeling of RG59 or RG6 on the jacket so I really want to upgrade them. The Precision cable is more expensive than the 7916A but does it have the same advantages in outside weather (rain etc) like waterproof?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 02-20-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 35
7916A in a heartbeat. No need for the extra bandwidth or the gold-plated fittings. Gold plating can cause issues with CATV.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #3 of 36 Old 02-20-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Is there an issue with the service?

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #4 of 36 Old 02-20-2013, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

Just some pixelation on my HD channels. I read online to make sure cables are RG6 for HD. I checked the coaxial cables on the splitter and they may be RG59 but I'm not sure since there's no labeling information on the cable.
post #5 of 36 Old 02-20-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Assuming you have "cable" service, I'd contact your cable provider to remediate. That's what you pay for on a monthly basis. wink.gif
RG59 will/can carry HD signals with no problem.
post #6 of 36 Old 02-20-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Assuming you have "cable" service, I'd contact your cable provider to remediate. That's what you pay for on a monthly basis. wink.gif
RG59 will/can carry HD signals with no problem.
+1 If there's an issue in the cable system, you can replace your cable 'til you're blue in the face and the problem will still be there. Call your cable company.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #7 of 36 Old 02-20-2013, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashmereino View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

Just some pixelation on my HD channels. I read online to make sure cables are RG6 for HD. I checked the coaxial cables on the splitter and they may be RG59 but I'm not sure since there's no labeling information on the cable.
Diameter? RG-59 is a bit over 1/4" diameter, RG-6 5/16" to 3/8".

PS: I wouldn't bother with overly expensive or quad shielded cable.
post #8 of 36 Old 02-23-2013, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you i will give them a call.
post #9 of 36 Old 02-24-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Is there a cable modem in your set up?
post #10 of 36 Old 03-01-2013, 05:52 PM

You can tell by the center pin of the cable weather its RG59 or RG6 cable. Obviously RG6 will be much thicker.
post #11 of 36 Old 03-02-2013, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Not that much thicker. Series 59 cable is about the diameter if a round #2 pencil, while Series 6 cable is a little bit larger.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #12 of 36 Old 03-07-2013, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

I bought the Bluejeans/Belden (Video Brilliance By Belden 1694a HD-SDI Precision Video Cable 4.5 GHz Shielded) and it works great with my Comcast HD cable box. It's a 5 or 6 footer I believe. It's an indoor coaxial cable from my wall outlet to my cable box though. Is that the right kind of coaxial for indoor use for best PQ?

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/rgbhv/index.htm
post #13 of 36 Old 03-07-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppopioneer View Post

I bought the Bluejeans/Belden (Video Brilliance By Belden 1694a HD-SDI Precision Video Cable 4.5 GHz Shielded) and it works great with my Comcast HD cable box. It's a 5 or 6 footer I believe. It's an indoor coaxial cable from my wall outlet to my cable box though. Is that the right kind of coaxial for indoor use for best PQ?

Your eyes are what counts the most.

Incredible waste of money, though, in my opinion. Why does one need a cable that goes up to 4.5GHz when the cable system only goes up to 750 or 860MHz? For ~$10 less (including shipping), you could've bought one that would've done just as well.

For a jumper cable going from the wall to the STB, I would have used Series 59 cable. A little smaller and more flexible. Looks nicer indoors than does Series 6 cable.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #14 of 36 Old 03-07-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Incredible waste of money, though, in my opinion. Why does one need a cable that goes up to 4.5GHz when the cable system only goes up to 750 or 860MHz? For ~$10 less (including shipping), you could've bought one that would've done just as well.

For a jumper cable going from the wall to the STB, I would have used Series 59 cable. A little smaller and more flexible. Looks nicer indoors than does Series 6 cable.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #15 of 36 Old 03-07-2013, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by egnlsn View Post

++1

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #16 of 36 Old 03-07-2013, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:

It should. However, ask your cable installer to use that fancy cable and he'll probably just laugh. Less expensive wire probably handles 4.5GHz as well, they just don't waste money and time proving it if the application only calls for 1GHz performance.

EDIT: Your link is for Video or RGB cables. These are NOT the right cables for connecting the RF into your cable box.
post #17 of 36 Old 03-07-2013, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

It should. However, ask your cable installer to use that fancy cable and he'll probably just laugh. Less expensive wire probably handles 4.5GHz as well, they just don't waste money and time proving it if the application only calls for 1GHz performance.

EDIT: Your link is for Video or RGB cables. These are NOT the right cables for connecting the RF into your cable box.

I accidentally posted the wrong link from their website. This is the Bluejeans/Belden cable I bought:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/rf/index.htm

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/pages/technicaldocs/1694tech.htm

Well which is the right cable to go from my wall outlet to my cable box? And if it's not the right cable then why am I getting amazing HD 1080i PQ? And I only paid around $2 bucks more for the 1694 cable. The cable cost me $17.50.
Quote:
Hi...

I bought the Bluejeans/Belden (Video Brilliance By Belden 1694a HD-SDI Precision Video Cable 4.5 GHz Shielded) and it works great with my Comcast HD cable box. It's a 5 or 6 footer I believe. It's an indoor coaxial cable from my wall outlet to my cable box. Is that the right kind of coaxial for indoor use for best PQ? What length is best for coaxial for best PQ? When you get some free time can you please write back? Thanks

I emailed bluejeans cable with the question above and they replied with this below:

Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2013 8:09 AM
To: sales@bluejeanscable.com
Subject: Customer questions...

Yes, that would be our recommended cable for RF use up to 100 feet. Another good choice would be the 1505A, which is a bit more flexible, but really is only good for shorter runs (1-25 feet).

-Jeff (BJC)
post #18 of 36 Old 03-08-2013, 05:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Belden 1505A is RG59, so the BJC tech is on the same page as the rest of us.

Even so, I wouldn't pay $15-18 for a 6' coax cable when you can get one of comparable quality for $2
post #19 of 36 Old 03-08-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well which is the right cable to go from my wall outlet to my cable box? And if it's not the right cable then why am I getting amazing HD 1080i PQ? And I only paid around $2 bucks more for the 1694 cable. The cable cost me $17.50.
I emailed bluejeans cable with the question above and they replied with this below:

Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2013 8:09 AM
To: sales@bluejeanscable.com
Subject: Customer questions...

Yes, that would be our recommended cable for RF use up to 100 feet. Another good choice would be the 1505A, which is a bit more flexible, but really is only good for shorter runs (1-25 feet).

-Jeff (BJC)
Nobody said that the cable you bought wouldn't work and work well, nor did anybody suggest that it isn't an excellent cable. The salesman's job at BlueJeans cable is to sell products, which he did. All anybody is saying is that you went with tremendous overkill and vastly overpaid for what you need.

Most salesmen, if you ask them for a recommendation, will recommend a product they sell. That's their job. That's how they make their money. Other people, if you ask them the same question, will give a generic answer (such as RG6 type cable with compression fittings). If you ask them for a specific recommendation, they will give that recommendation based on their experiences or what they may have read or heard.

As you wrote, the cable you bought is doing its job great, as would a 6' piece of Series 59 cable. Enjoy your HD.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #20 of 36 Old 03-08-2013, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

I also wanted to stick with Bluejeans/Belden because they're one of the few if only that still makes it's cable stock in the U.S. and are working on making them 100% in the U.S. where as the other companies are made in China and many are made by the same Chinese company in the same Chinese factory by cheap labor most likely by Copartner especially with HDMI cables.
post #21 of 36 Old 03-08-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Go USA!
Enjoy your cable.
egnlsn likes this.
post #22 of 36 Old 03-08-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 60
Quote:

I also wanted to stick with Bluejeans/Belden because they're one of the few if only that still makes it's cable stock in the U.S. and are working on making them 100% in the U.S. where as the other companies are made in China and many are made by the same Chinese company in the same Chinese factory by cheap labor most likely by Copartner especially with HDMI cables.

And it's likely the only thing in your system that's not made in China. tongue.gif

I understand wanting to buy Made in USA and if you want to pay a bit of a premium for it, that's fine, but anymore it's getting impossible to not get something made in East Asian sweatshops.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #23 of 36 Old 03-08-2013, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

And it's likely the only thing in your system that's not made in China. tongue.gif

I understand wanting to buy Made in USA and if you want to pay a bit of a premium for it, that's fine, but anymore it's getting impossible to not get something made in East Asian sweatshops.

And where were these things in my HT made?

Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-151FD 60"
Pioneer Elite bdp-23FD
McIntosh MC8207 Amp
McIntosh MX121 AV
Comcast HD cable box
B&W 802 w/5.1 surround
Elemental Designes A7-900 sub
SurgeX surge protectors (SurgeX XF2, two SurgeX SX1120RT's)
post #24 of 36 Old 03-08-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If they weren't made in East Asia wholesale, then the parts most likely came from there and they're just assembled in the US (or elsewhere). There's only a very small handful of companies that don't source SOMETHING from Asia (Dynaudio in Denmark is one, but definitely doesn't have much company.)

I know from a quick search your Blu-ray player came from Malaysia, which is fast becoming China South in terms of manufacturing. Same with my Onkyo amps. McIntosh still assembles in the US, but the guts come from elsewhere.

Electronics are almost impossible to build in the United States anymore. China/Asia not only has a lock on labor, they also have huge deposits of the rare earth elements needed.

post #25 of 36 Old 03-08-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

LOL.... if your final justification for paying $15 more for a 6' coax cable is because it's made in the USA and only purchase USA made products, then you may want to look at your car, parts in your car, every appliance and probably each piece of furniture, towels, pillows, tools, etc..... in your home. biggrin.gif
post #26 of 36 Old 03-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If they weren't made in East Asia wholesale, then the parts most likely came from there and they're just assembled in the US (or elsewhere).

And where and who is your source for this claim? So where do these parts come from?
Quote:

I know from a quick search your Blu-ray player came from Malaysia, which is fast becoming China South in terms of manufacturing.

If you're talking about the present with regards to things made in Malaysia that could be true. My bd player was made a few years ago and was the last of the true Pioneer bd players from Pioneer even if it was made in Malaysia which had stricter quality control.
Quote:

McIntosh still assembles in the US, but the guts come from elsewhere.

Where are their "guts" made?

Where was my B&W 802 speakers made?

Where was my Elemental Designs A7-900 sub made?

Where was my SurgeX surge protectors made?
Quote:

Electronics are almost impossible to build in the United States anymore. China/Asia not only has a lock on labor, they also have huge deposits of the rare earth elements needed.

Well I'm glad most of the products I have in my HT are not made in Asia or assembled in Asia. My SurgeX surge protectors are made in North Carolina. Nothing more ignorant and stupid than using those plastic APC/Monster/Panamax/Triplite surge protectors made in China which are all exactly the same inside and which all use mov's which are sacrifiical and will either explode after one surge or wear out, but even if they are still intact they will still cause problems because they take the surge and divert it from the hot to the neutral wire which causes ground contamination and allows the surge to have a second chance to cause other problems in your system which can lead to a common mode surges.

But I'm having fun with you because you seem jealous and a little frustrated, so you try to lower me down to your levels since most of your lower end equipment was made by cheap slave labor in China and mine wasn't. But this all has to do with the fact I spent a little more on a good quality coaxial cable which it's cable stock was made in the U.S.. But hey, atleast I didnt spend hundreds of dollars on speaker cables and HDMI cables which is the bigest scam going. If you bought any HDMI cable for more than $20 bucks and any speaker cables for more than $50 bucks the joke is on you. cool.gif
post #27 of 36 Old 03-08-2013, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

LOL.... if your final justification for paying $15 more for a 6' coax cable is because it's made in the USA and only purchase USA made products, then you may want to look at your car, parts in your car, every appliance and probably each piece of furniture, towels, pillows, tools, etc..... in your home. biggrin.gif

Still better than buying any HDMI cables in Best Buy, Walmart, Target etc biggrin.gif.
post #28 of 36 Old 03-08-2013, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Still better than buying any HDMI cables in Best Buy, Walmart, Target etc biggrin.gif.
Ain't that the truth!!!

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #29 of 36 Old 03-08-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

And where and who is your source for this claim? So where do these parts come from?

From this forum and elsewhere. Do a quick search on China or whatever in the speaker forums, the amp forums, the subwoofer forums and you'll find some surprising evidence. There are brands that you'd never suspect that are sourcing parts from China or other Asian countries. Even Elemental Designs, which build their own cabinets for pete's sake, have said they do outsource parts from abroad (not necessarily China.)
Quote:
But I'm having fun with you because you seem jealous and a little frustrated, so you try to lower me down to your levels since most of your lower end equipment was made by cheap slave labor in China and mine wasn't. :

Not at all jealous or frustrated. smile.gif Nor am I trying to lower you to my level. That wasn't my intention. Just stating that electronics, even those touted as Made In USA, can have ties to Chinese or Asian labor, though sometimes on a very base level (like maybe importing wiring.) Companies like BJC that do everything stateside are the exception.
Quote:

That's very true, but that's more those stores putting on a big markup rather than the origin of the cable. WalMart could source their cables from BJC and they'd still charge Monster cable prices. Just because they can. Go USA indeed.

post #30 of 36 Old 03-08-2013, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yup!
They all mark up the prices.

Can't beat the $2 cable though.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10216&cs_id=1021603&p_id=3031&seq=1&format=2

If you wear clothes, check the tags. They are not made in the USA.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV