Scientific Atlanta Cable box Error Codes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-01-2013, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I've searched every where trying to find definitions of the error codes that come up on SA explorer cable boxes with no luck. My providor in Toronto, ON is Rogers Cable, which uses the explorer series of cable boxes. I'm more specifically interested in the 4250HD and 8300HD boxes which use SARA software.

I've come across some boxes which show ERxx (xx representing a numerical value), and do not boot any further then that. Typically the box will cycle itself when first powered on, usually showing BOOT, then doing a hex countdown starting with rxxx or possibly hxxx, at the end of the countdown it will display Proc, then FRLA, then show the ERxx code, and repeat the process.

Examples of the error codes would be ER50, ER01, ER63, etc.

I'm sure these are common error codes that display when "something" goes wrong and I'm surprised that no one has investigated further and listed what these errors mean!

Obviously I know that the box could be returned to the cable company if an error shows up, but lets assume that these boxes are Customer Owned, and cannot be swapped via the cable company. I'm trying to repair my own box.

If anyone knows what these errors are and possibly make a list with descriptions, that would be great! If not, does anyone know what the ER01 error code means as this is the lates code to be displayed on one of my boxes.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-02-2013, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Are the boxes registered with the cable company? (Did they ask you for the MAC info)
post #3 of 9 Old 03-02-2013, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

No, currently the boxes are NOT regestered with the cable company. However I don't think it makes much of a difference as in the past I've had boxes that were active and regestered, then something happened, got the error code, had it removed from my account (de-regestered) and yet the error code remained.

My providor (Rogers Cable in Toronto) does not ask for the MAC address when activating a box, they simply ask for the 9 letter alpha code on the back (SABxxxxxx) and activate via that. I typically want to get the box into brick status (where it shows 4 dashes on the front display) before calling to have it provisioned. Once in brick status, I know it (should) be ready to go. The boxes I've had errors on never get to brick status, so I never go the extra step to activate as I know it won't change anything.

Thanks!
post #4 of 9 Old 03-02-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 281
You may be better getting help on a Canadian based forum. They here:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/
post #5 of 9 Old 03-03-2013, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I would try and work with your cable company to get them added in to the system, and also ask them what that error code means.
Not sure what you mean by brick status?
Take Ratman's advice and look at the Canadian forums.
Good luck!!
post #6 of 9 Old 03-03-2013, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

The cable company is of NO help. Their rules are: either the box is customer owned, or cable company owned (rented by user). If the box is a rental unit, then they'll swap it out - they don't troubleshoot, or offer ANY other assistance other then giving you the option of having a tech swap it, or you take it to a retail outlet to swap it yourself.

If the box is owned, then your SOL. Its your responsibility to deal with it. They won't troubleshoot it, or offer any diagnosis or help in deciphering the error codes. As far as they're concerned, its your problem.

I'm gonna try and re-post in a Canadian forum, thanks. I'm surprised that no one has complied a list of what these errors mean as these boxes have been out and available for so many years. But thanks for the replies guys.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-03-2013, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCbridge View Post

Not sure what you mean by brick status?

Brick status is when the box shows 4 dashes on the front display. It means the box is ready to be provisioned by the cable co. You will typically see the "NOT AUTHORIZED" message on the display telling you to call your providor. You can still access diagnostics using the buttons on the box, and an IP address is usually available. Brick mode is the last step before the box becomes active/authorized for use and if you can get the box to brick status, your in good shape. Usually if a box has a major issue, it will never get to brick status - hence it will never become usuable.

Thats the way Rogers Cable stages their boxes, not sure about how other providors set up theirs.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-05-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

are the error codes listed above correct if not tell me what they actually are.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-05-2013, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Right now I've got boxes showing: ER01, ER63, and another box shows DIAG (the "G" is actually shown looking like a C).
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page