Need help with Comcast box and the "watch in HD?" prompt - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 03-20-2013, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Hi. My neighbor has a Comcast box and has been watching his 55 inch Sony Bravia in 480, without knowing it, because when he changes the channel that's the resolution it defaults to. He gets a yellow box with "Watch in HD? and if you hit enter quickly it goes into HD. Otherwise, if you're too slow you can select 'Info'>Enter and it goes into HD.

I've gone into the Comcast 'setup' (box off/TV on>Menu and can see the resolutions which I set to 1080i output) and when you turn on the box it still defaults to 480 and you have to use the 'Watch in HD' selection again.

This is crazy. Why doesn't it just default to the HD channels?

I'm a Directv guy so I have no knowledge of cable. I was over there giving him an old AVR that I had laying around that he wanted to hook up to a cassette deck and I noticed he was watching in 480. He hasn't seen a HD program in over two years that he's had the TV, now that's all he wants to watch but doesn't want to have to keep hitting the Info>Enter button every time he changes the channel.

Surely, there must be a fix for this.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-20-2013, 03:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Have your neighbor call Comcast to either set the box properly or get a new box.
post #3 of 15 Old 03-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 63
When you press the "watch in HD" command, it doesn't change the resolution from 480 to 1080, it actually redirects you to the HD station. For example; in Richmond, VA NBC is channel 12 but the HD channel is 812. If i punch in 12 and then hit the "C" button on the remote it will change the channel to 812 which is in 1080.

It's possible that your friends remote is set to the wrong mode, or the box is defective. Look in the channel guide for the HD channels and tune to those directly. If that doesn't work I would go to comcast for a new box.

EDIT: I just thought of something else, if the box is not connected to TV with an HDMI cable or component video cables you will NOT get HD. I would check that first

post #4 of 15 Old 03-21-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropkick Murphy View Post

When you press the "watch in HD" command, it doesn't change the resolution from 480 to 1080, it actually redirects you to the HD station. For example; in Richmond, VA NBC is channel 12 but the HD channel is 812. If i punch in 12 and then hit the "C" button on the remote it will change the channel to 812 which is in 1080.
Yup! Same with FiOS in my area. Tune to the HD channel directly (correctly?) and no "pop-ups". wink.gif
post #5 of 15 Old 03-21-2013, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Thanks guys. I wasn't using the guide. I was just punching in some local Chicago channels (2, 5, 7, 9, etc.) and they would default into 480i with the pop up 'Watch in HD? box. So, I guess this is normal if you don't bring up the guide and select the HD channel.

I'm so used to Directv bringing up every channel in HD, if I use the guide or just punch in the channel number on the remote.

I'll go over there tomorrow and use the guide.

Thanks again.
post #6 of 15 Old 03-21-2013, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
it does not work on cltv to take you to csn + hd / info channel hd

maybe if they had cltv hd or had csn sd in it's own slot
post #7 of 15 Old 03-21-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
When he changes the channel if he punches in the actual channel number (typically anything under 100) it will tune to the analog channel
He has the equivilant HD in another range so he should find out what they are and punch in that number or if he punches in a low channel number and is prompted about watching it in HD he should just hit the enter button.and it will switch to HD.
If he misses the window just hit the info button and it will prompt him again.
In my area the local ABC is channel 6 but the HD channels 806.
post #8 of 15 Old 03-24-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Yeah, use the HD channel. Usually 100X, X being the SD channels number. There is no analog, the SDs are digital MPEG-2 just like HDs. I don't know why people are too stupid to just use the HD channel numbers in the first place. It actually helps a lot, as they are standardized across systems. In my case, the HD channels are now basically the same at my place on an SA system, and my parents' system a few systems over.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-24-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post

Yeah, use the HD channel. Usually 100X, X being the SD channels number. There is no analog, the SDs are digital MPEG-2 just like HDs. I don't know why people are too stupid to just use the HD channel numbers in the first place. It actually helps a lot, as they are standardized across systems. In my case, the HD channels are now basically the same at my place on an SA system, and my parents' system a few systems over.
Sorry, don't think so. Around here my HDs are in the 1XX and 6XX range. There are also some 7XX and the ones for the premium services are adjacent to the base channel (SHO 576, SHOHD 574). The 1XX are the OTA channels and it is shared with the SD subchannels of the OTA and the SD of some 'second tier' digital cable services. So before you call people stupid, you should take a look in the mirror...Or at a program guide like TitanTV or TVGuide...wink.gif
post #10 of 15 Old 03-24-2013, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Sorry, don't think so. Around here my HDs are in the 1XX and 6XX range. There are also some 7XX and the ones for the premium services are adjacent to the base channel (SHO 576, SHOHD 574). The 1XX are the OTA channels and it is shared with the SD subchannels of the OTA and the SD of some 'second tier' digital cable services. So before you call people stupid, you should take a look in the mirror...Or at a program guide like TitanTV or TVGuide...wink.gif

It's possible you're on a really back-asswards Comcast system, but they have moved the vast majority of their systems from the 190-240 HD range to the 1XXX HD channel range, with HD channels pretty much the same across systems. I also said that they are "usually" that, but if someone's system is a weird one-off, then they should look at the channel list and learn where the HD channels actually are instead of tuning to the SDs and then clicking "Watch in HD".
post #11 of 15 Old 03-24-2013, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
It's possible you're on a really back-asswards Comcast system, but they have moved the vast majority of their systems from the 190-240 HD range to the 1XXX HD channel range, with HD channels pretty much the same across systems.
Well I guess both Seattle (98101) and San Francisco (94134) are backwater podunk towns. ComCast listings for these two towns also don't have any channels mapped beyond 999. 'Stupid' is a pretty strong word...What zip code are you in?

PS: Because according to post 5 above he was watching 'Chicago Locals' I just looked at a Chicago ComCast listing and guess what? there are still no channels over 999! eek.gif
post #12 of 15 Old 03-24-2013, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I guess both Seattle (98101) and San Francisco (94134) are backwater podunk towns. ComCast listings for these two towns also don't have any channels mapped beyond 999. 'Stupid' is a pretty strong word...What zip code are you in?

PS: Because according to post 5 above he was watching 'Chicago Locals' I just looked at a Chicago ComCast listing and guess what? there are still no channels over 999! eek.gif

I'm pretty surprised. We're in the bottom 20% of systems to get upgraded, and we've gotten the 1XXX channel numbers. All systems will eventually have them.
post #13 of 15 Old 03-25-2013, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post

It's possible you're on a really back-asswards Comcast system, but they have moved the vast majority of their systems from the 190-240 HD range to the 1XXX HD channel range, with HD channels pretty much the same across systems. I also said that they are "usually" that, but if someone's system is a weird one-off, then they should look at the channel list and learn where the HD channels actually are instead of tuning to the SDs and then clicking "Watch in HD".

One odd thing is in system some what out side of the Chicago area with HD in 6XX / 7XX / 8XX range still have CSN + HD / info channel HD on 285. Even when there are no other HD in 2XX.
post #14 of 15 Old 03-25-2013, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe The Dragon View Post

One odd thing is in system some what out side of the Chicago area with HD in 6XX / 7XX / 8XX range still have CSN + HD / info channel HD on 285. Even when there are no other HD in 2XX.

They're probably not messing with it until they switch to the current numbering system in the 1XXX series.
post #15 of 15 Old 03-27-2013, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My HD's were once in the 200 range then repeated in the 800 range, some time ago the 200 range went away and the 800 range remained and we do have several stations above channel 1000.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page