Bulk RG6 cable - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-01-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have some bulk RG6 cable left over from 1990; I was wondering if it is still good, since i need to re wire my shore house from flooding.

Please let me know if the cable is any good or i should get new bulk cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Do you know if the cable was stored properly ?
How long are your cable runs?
Since you are wiring a whole house I would probably play it safe and use newer cables.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 36
How does it look?
Is it all still nice and round throughout it's length?
If it is flattened or has noticeable kinks and dents, it will have reflections in the signal, which cause multi-path effects.

Also, be sure it does not have any holes in the outer jacket. Those would let moisture in, and likely already have.

If you're OK so far, cut off a few feet of each end. Carefully cut the outer jacket open (razor blade), and inspect the wire braid shield. There should be no corrosion, or white powdery substance in there, at all. If moisture got inside, the woven braid will wick it up... often spreading through the whole length. If it's nice and clean, you're OK.

Now, remove the braid from that section, and see if the inner insulation looks OK. If it doesn't look all cruddy, it's likely good.
Now, pull off a bit of the inner insulator, and see if the center wire looks pretty clean and un-corroded.

Basically, you need to see if water has, or can, get inside, and you need to be sure the cable is still nice and round (evenly) throughout the length that you want to use.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
Old 04-01-2013, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Also, make sure that it doesn't have any "icky-pick" (gooey stuff) in it. If it does, you can't use it indoors.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The good part is the bulk cable was not stored in the flooded house, mostly in storage. I will look into the cable thank you.