AudioQuest cables....worth the cash??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 04-06-2013, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey guys,

I just dropped a boat load in Best Buy over the past 2 weeks. 8000 series samsung, B&W Soundbar, Panamax 4300 power conditioner, new stand etc.

I purchased AudioQuest Cinnamon Hdmi and Optical cables for my new toys. I'm one of those over the top obsessive people and after just 2 days and have not even setup my new equipment I'm already considering returning the cables and upgrading to the AudioQuest Chocolate and Vodka (optical) cables for more cash

I've heard both schools.. a. cable is a cable and that always up spend on cables because a cheap cable can be a systems weakest link.
I've done some of the research and seen some people that rave at the differences. Any thoughts???

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-07-2013, 02:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel1400 View Post

Hey guys,

I just dropped a boat load in Best Buy over the past 2 weeks. 8000 series samsung, B&W Soundbar, Panamax 4300 power conditioner, new stand etc.

I purchased AudioQuest Cinnamon Hdmi and Optical cables for my new toys. I'm one of those over the top obsessive people and after just 2 days and have not even setup my new equipment I'm already considering returning the cables and upgrading to the AudioQuest Chocolate and Vodka (optical) cables for more cash

I've heard both schools.. a. cable is a cable and that always up spend on cables because a cheap cable can be a systems weakest link.
I've done some of the research and seen some people that rave at the differences. Any thoughts???

Thanks.

Before you drop a boat load more on Best Buys over the top stuff take a look at Blue Jens Cable and Monoprice, and http://www.roger-russell.com for more info on cables, speaker wire. I am assuming you have researched this site.
If you want the HI end stuff for looks thats one thing but if you are looking for just what works, and well, venders like the ones that are sponsoring this site have the BB stuff beat. There is one more that I have utilized and that's http://www.mycablemart.com.
As far as raving at the difference, I have a buddy that spends half his time trying to convince himself of just that, on everything but cable and speaker wire, he is an electrical engineer.
Tarheel1400 likes this.
post #3 of 18 Old 04-07-2013, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback Phil. I checked the sites out and i was shocked on how much cheaper those cables are. There's no catch. I can buy a cable on monoprice for 120 dollars less then at bb or online and its really just as good?? Im always leary of that kind of stuff but I haven't tried it so I don't really know. Maybe I need to research more.
post #4 of 18 Old 04-07-2013, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

What can it hurt, get one from any of the vendors and find out for your self.
post #5 of 18 Old 04-07-2013, 08:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel1400 View Post

There's no catch. I can buy a cable on monoprice for 120 dollars less then at bb or online and its really just as good??

No catch. I've been using Monoprice and Tartan (Blue Jeans Cable's lower cost division) for years with no issues.

Cables in a brick and mortar store have the biggest markup. They know that you need them for just about any setup, and the cable makers have slick marketing departments, and your average dude who impulse buys this stuff never researches, so the price just goes into the stratosphere.

Don't be fooled; the two online stores recommended have some good products, and you can search all day here and find good endorsements that stretch back for years.
Tarheel1400 likes this.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #6 of 18 Old 04-07-2013, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great feedback guys. I appreciate the input.
post #7 of 18 Old 10-23-2013, 06:45 PM

Liked: 10
I can agree how amazingly large the mock up is, I just purchased a set of Audioquest rocket 33 cables to bi-amp my speakers box price was 350 bucks approx. I paid 125 plus tax thanks to friends discount.
post #8 of 18 Old 10-23-2013, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by highbrow View Post

I can agree how amazingly large the mock up is, I just purchased a set of Audioquest rocket 33 cables to bi-amp my speakers box price was 350 bucks approx. I paid 125 plus tax thanks to friends discount.
Not bad. Only about $100 more than you'd have to pay for 8' of normal 14ga speaker wire! eek.gif
post #9 of 18 Old 10-24-2013, 09:00 AM

very true regarding the price for regular speaker cable, but when you add in wire strippers, banana clips and the time it would take me to bi amp them and then wrap them so they werent so ugly looking I feel it was worth it.
post #10 of 18 Old 10-24-2013, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
"CNET strongly recommends cheap HDMI cables widely available from online retailers instead of the expensive counterparts sold in your local electronics store."

"The editors at CNET are so confident that cheap HDMI cables offer identical performance, we've been using inexpensive Monoprice HDMI cables in the CNET Home Theater Lab for more than a year with no issues........ If cheap HDMI cables are good enough for the eagle-eyed video professionals at CNET, we're betting they're good enough for your home theater."

http://reviews.cnet.com/2719-11276_7-226-3.html
post #11 of 18 Old 10-24-2013, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

very true regarding the price for regular speaker cable, but when you add in wire strippers, banana clips and the time it would take me to bi amp them and then wrap them so they werent so ugly looking I feel it was worth it.

Wire strippers? Don't tell me someone thats deep enough in the hobby to want to bi amp does not have enough tools to have the basic items, counts the cost of the tools into the budget, better stay out of home depot. Half the point of it is to make up cable looms and making everything look cool, then a year later pull it apart add new items and put back together and keep it clean and net. I Like the in the wall look with out any cables on the floor, or seen behind the displace. Banana clips are only good if you want to have them show, and there are a lot of other items that help to put together a net and clean look. Monoprice sells a lot more then cables, take a look and there well be new ideas just come right out of the air. ITS FUN.
post #12 of 18 Old 10-27-2013, 09:55 PM

Sorry Phil I do not own wire strippers, I am sure I will pull it apart and make it look good like you have mentioned , I went with the audio quest cables as I said I know it is done right and I don't have to put up with the headache. Sorry if that upsets you , I do own a hammer however
post #13 of 18 Old 10-28-2013, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
It's all good. If you want wires that have some pre-made qualities, don't let us tell you how to spend it.

But I think a lot of people would see regular wire + wire strippers($5-$10 for a good pair) + a little time + banana clips ($2 a pair, less if bought in bulk, and really an optional accessory) as worth the $100 difference.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #14 of 18 Old 10-29-2013, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry Phil I do not own wire strippers, I am sure I will pull it apart and make it look good like you have mentioned , I went with the audio quest cables as I said I know it is done right and I don't have to put up with the headache. Sorry if that upsets you , I do own a hammer however

You don't upset me at all, and a good set of stripers/cutters do cost a bit more then 5 to 10 bucks say 20 and up.Bet I have 3 or 4 around. The type of cable I use is not cheap, CL2 14-2 gage from monster or monoprice but not in the pricey category of audio quest and I do use twin banana clips on the AVR connections. My point is I do get a lot of enjoyment out of building up my systems and find DIY on the speaker cables can make a system look so much cleaner if most of that is in the walls. I also run new romax cable for power and keep every thing net clean and out of site, I think of it as a hobby. Do you know what to hit with the hammer. Have fun with your system thats what its all about.
post #15 of 18 Old 11-05-2013, 08:36 PM

Phil thank you for the kind words not being very handy I went with the audio quest, but you will be happy to know the rear speakers didn't need to be bi amp as I am using a wireless kit so I did go ahead and do a little stripping for that. all the best and I will figure the hammer out I am sure. Cheers
post #16 of 18 Old 11-06-2013, 12:10 PM

Liked: 87
Remember, when thinking about digital cables, such as HDMI, a better cable doesn't make the 1s any straighter or the 0s any rounder :-)

Digital only works because there is a range of voltages that are all 0s and a range of voltage that are all 1s. You are in the non-linear region. So, even if someone claims that voltages will be more accurate with a particular cable (which they probably aren't), it doesn't matter since it is a digital signal.

The one thing to remember with HDMI is only buy High Speed. Also remember that there is an HDMI section of the AVSForum where this question has been asked many times.

Also remember next time you are in Best Buy, how much pure profit they made off of you with those cables.
post #17 of 18 Old 11-06-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Also, remember how many threads have been started over the years with the same question(s) and same response(s). biggrin.gif
post #18 of 18 Old 11-06-2013, 01:44 PM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Also, remember how many threads have been started over the years with the same question(s) and same response(s). biggrin.gif

Amen...
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page