how do i hook up a cable box to pc [cable box doesnt have cable/coax out] - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 04-20-2013, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi:

i have a cable box that i want to hook up to my pc tv turner card. i usually just use coax out from my old box but i got a new one that has hdmi and component out but my tv turner card has coax in.

can i buy a cable hdmi that converts to coax or a component cable to coax? or do i need a new cable box or tv turner card?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-21-2013, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
That box probably has composite output (Y/R/W) connections. Just use those to go into the same connections on your PC.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #3 of 17 Old 04-21-2013, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for trying to help!! i dont have y/r/w on the pc frown.gif for some reason. i only see r/w | svideo | coax on my hauppauge 1800 wintv card.

not sure what else i can try?

thanks
post #4 of 17 Old 04-21-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 185
I think composite just takes an adapter:
post #5 of 17 Old 04-21-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 234
post #6 of 17 Old 04-21-2013, 12:19 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

I think composite just takes an adapter:
That's how the one I had was mini plug on card for S, composite, LR audio adapter.
post #7 of 17 Old 04-21-2013, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

THANKS everyone for trying to help me!!!

I cannot find the packaging that I bought the card with. If i buy the adapter above that will work?

what do i do plug it into svideo plug on the card and then the other end gets Y and then plug the R/W into the card and then the YRW into the cable box and I am good to go?

thanks!
post #8 of 17 Old 04-21-2013, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
The above adapter will work plug the adapter into s video on card. Yellow video out cable from box plugs into adapter. Red and white audio go to inputs on card. Oh the same adapter is 90 cents ea. on monoprice.com
post #9 of 17 Old 04-21-2013, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

thanks all. i bought the adapter it was $2 at BB. the problem i am having is the winTV channel manager isnt finding any channels when it scans. in the past i would go coax into my old cable box then out coax from cable box to in on the wintv card and no problem now this new box doesnt have coax out and the tvcard isnt picking up channels

all i really want to do is get the cable box dvr to the tv card so i can caputer something.

how do i just out put the dvr to the card?

thanks
post #10 of 17 Old 04-21-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Hauppauge puts the a/v input of their cards on a channel number but you need to assign that somewhere in the setup program. Forgive me for being so vague but it's been a while since I used my Hauppauge card.
post #11 of 17 Old 04-21-2013, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for trying to help. no matter what i try i cannot get the cable box to showup on the wintv software. its as if it cannot scan. which sort of makes sense since i cannot go from the cablebox out except with the r/w/y. not sure what to try.
post #12 of 17 Old 04-21-2013, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

OK. Baby Steps... Assuming you are using WinTV7, go here: http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/manuals/wintv_v7.pdf and press 'ctrl-f' and type 'composite' into the search box. This takes you to page 4 of that document. Follow the directions there.
post #13 of 17 Old 04-21-2013, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyrabbitt123 View Post

thanks for trying to help. no matter what i try i cannot get the cable box to showup on the wintv software. its as if it cannot scan. which sort of makes sense since i cannot go from the cablebox out except with the r/w/y. not sure what to try.
I have not used the WinTV software for years (I use a command line recorder for a PVR250 and an HVR1600) but I think you have to add the line input as a new capture device. There is no scanning involved. Also there are usually two line inputs, the one on the back and one associated with an internal header that requires a breakout connector to access.

A good source of info is SHS's site.
http://www.shspvr.com/smf/index.php
http://www.shspvr.com/
I would suggest searching the forum before asking questions.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #14 of 17 Old 04-22-2013, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hauppauge puts the a/v input of their cards on a channel number but you need to assign that somewhere in the setup program. Forgive me for being so vague but it's been a while since I used my Hauppauge card.

I couldnt figure this out at all. Thanks for taking the time to try!

Quote:

OK. Baby Steps... Assuming you are using WinTV7, go here: http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/manuals/wintv_v7.pdf and press 'ctrl-f' and type 'composite' into the search box. This takes you to page 4 of that document. Follow the directions there.

I am on wintv 6 so this didnt pertain but thanks! I did wind up calling it is similar to this. thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

I have not used the WinTV software for years (I use a command line recorder for a PVR250 and an HVR1600) but I think you have to add the line input as a new capture device. There is no scanning involved. Also there are usually two line inputs, the one on the back and one associated with an internal header that requires a breakout connector to access.

A good source of info is SHS's site.
http://www.shspvr.com/smf/index.php
http://www.shspvr.com/
I would suggest searching the forum before asking questions.
Quote:

thanks for this info! I did search but even if I found all of the above it wouldnt have helped as I really didnt find anything to address my specific need. thanks for the links to these other site specific for my card!

I did get it to work BUT I now have another issue: when i play the something from the cable box on the PC it looks and sounds great but the second I go and hit the record button on wintv 6 the sound gets distorted and in the final recording is distorted. i have swapped out R/W/Y wires didnt help and i have messed with audio settings in wintv didnt help and LOL i found the svideo to Yello adapter that i ran out and bought needlessly from BB as i had one.

not sure how to fix the sound issues???

thanks
post #15 of 17 Old 04-22-2013, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Why do you need to connect the cablebox to the PC TV tuner? Get a PC TV tuner that can decrypt cable, and you won't need the complexity of setting up IR blasters so that PC can change channels on the cable box, and you will not be limited to SD only content. You will get full blown HD (1080i) the that cablebox would have output through HDMI.

Why complicate things?

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #16 of 17 Old 04-22-2013, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

Why do you need to connect the cablebox to the PC TV tuner? Get a PC TV tuner that can decrypt cable, and you won't need the complexity of setting up IR blasters so that PC can change channels on the cable box, and you will not be limited to SD only content. You will get full blown HD (1080i) the that cablebox would have output through HDMI.

Why complicate things?

see the thing is everything was working GREAT and then i had to change cable providers and now my setup is messed up. i just really want what i had without spending more money and dealing with figuring it all out. i really have it setup the way i need it right now EXCEPT this new AUDIO issue?

out of curiosity what card do you recommend i get?

thanks
post #17 of 17 Old 04-23-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyrabbitt123 View Post

see the thing is everything was working GREAT and then i had to change cable providers and now my setup is messed up. i just really want what i had without spending more money and dealing with figuring it all out. i really have it setup the way i need it right now EXCEPT this new AUDIO issue?

out of curiosity what card do you recommend i get?

thanks

I am using Ceton InifniTV4 and 2x SiliconDust HomeRun duals for 8 channel viewing/recording. But we have 6 TV's connected to the system. This way all 6 can view/record independantly from each other, while still sharing the guide, recording schedule, and recorded content. i.e. Programs recorded on "one TV" can be viewed on "any other TV" You can pause in one room, resume in the other.

All of our digital media (music, videos, movies, pictures) are available on any of the 6 TV's with just remote (no keyboards, no mice). All feature the same 10 foot GUI and remote control acces.

All we pay is $3.99/month to rent a CableCard from Verizon. It would have cost $70/month to achieve the same with a Whole house DVR and STB solution from Verizon, and we still would have had to have another solution to bring the digitial media collection to all of the TV's.

Your viewing habits or number of TV's may be different, so you may want to look into fewer tuners.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page