Unique Question about Radio Scanner and Cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-22-2013, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a RadioShack Analog scanner and i have a question but first let me give you some background.
I have a Comcast Digital Cable., and of course you need a cable box to get it, but i noticed if i take the cable, and plug the cable directly into the tv, and set the tv to cable (it has 3 options (antenna, cable, cable/sat box)), i get HD local channels (apparently over the air?) and i thought that might be because im using the 100 mile long line of cable out of my house acts as an antenna? So i was wondering, if i order this BNC to F adapter (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V1LX72/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A25CE0R7NUAYCW), and i plug my comcast coax cable into my scanner, can I use the comcast lines as an antenna and get good reception on my scanner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-22-2013, 04:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF15 View Post

I have a Comcast Digital Cable., and of course you need a cable box to get it, but i noticed if i take the cable, and plug the cable directly into the tv, and set the tv to cable (it has 3 options (antenna, cable, cable/sat box)), i get HD local channels (apparently over the air?) and i thought that might be because im using the 100 mile long line of cable out of my house acts as an antenna?

No, the cable company is sending those. They're not coming in from over the air. Cable companies are (usually) obligated to send HD locals so TVs with a QAM tuner can pick them up.

To improve your radio scanner, you should look into a better antenna.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #3 of 5 Old 04-22-2013, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Oh ok. That's cool, I didn't know comcast did that! I can actually take advantage of that. I only have a standard def box in my bedroom, so I could put a 2-way splitter there, and run one to the tv to get the HD locals and one to the box for everything else. That way I have locals in HD smile.gif
post #4 of 5 Old 04-24-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

Oh ok. That's cool, I didn't know comcast did that! I can actually take advantage of that. I only have a standard def box in my bedroom, so I could put a 2-way splitter there, and run one to the tv to get the HD locals and one to the box for everything else. That way I have locals in HD smile.gif

Not for long. FCC just allowed cable comanies to encrypt everything that they send in the wire, including locals. They justfied it by cable theft. i.e. people plugging in TV's without paying for TV service.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #5 of 5 Old 04-29-2013, 11:54 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:

So i was wondering, if i order this BNC to F adapter and i plug my comcast coax cable into my scanner, can I use the comcast lines as an antenna and get good reception on my scanner?
No, but you can use your rooftop antenna to get better reception than the "rubber duck" antenna will give you indoors. Don't worry about impedance mismatches (TV is 75Ohm, scanner is 50Ohm) with a broadband device like a modern scanner. Since it doesn't transmit you don't have to worry about SWR. What you do need to worry about is static electricity (including lightning) frying your scanner...or you. eek.gif Be very careful, and get a grounded surge suppressor along with the F adapter.

You get what you pay for.  For professional advice, pay the professional rate.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page