Streaming comes out to be the same as cable? Did the prices go down? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-02-2013, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I did some basic math... This is not counting any new customer offers and such..

4 cable TV shows at 4 episodes/month each at $2.99 for Vudu HDX comes to 16 episodes/month at $48/month (rounded). Plus ~$60 for internet. Total: $108
Comcast mid-tier package (I get all of the shows that I need), including internet: ~$115

None of this includes tax, but on both I don't expect it to be more than $5-6. I own all of my equipment, so no equipment rental fees.

This seems to be a lot cheaper than years ago when I got into streaming content. Did the prices on cable TV services really go down this much? If this is truly the case, I may go back to cable...

Am I missing something? Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-02-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by herzzreh View Post

So I did some basic math... This is not counting any new customer offers and such..

4 cable TV shows at 4 episodes/month each at $2.99 for Vudu HDX comes to 16 episodes/month at $48/month (rounded). Plus ~$60 for internet. Total: $108
Comcast mid-tier package (I get all of the shows that I need), including internet: ~$115

None of this includes tax, but on both I don't expect it to be more than $5-6. I own all of my equipment, so no equipment rental fees.

This seems to be a lot cheaper than years ago when I got into streaming content. Did the prices on cable TV services really go down this much? If this is truly the case, I may go back to cable...

Am I missing something? Thoughts?

I am pretty sure "naked" internet prices have gone up. Providers offer steepest discounts when you bundle services. Add phone service and you may find your self paying less than for just internet and TV.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #3 of 6 Old 05-02-2013, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
That's what it seems... I don't remember paying so much for internet alone a few years ago.
post #4 of 6 Old 05-03-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by herzzreh View Post

That's what it seems... I don't remember paying so much for internet alone a few years ago.

Naked FiOS Internet is about $60/month. Triple Play from Verizon is $65/month when you take into account all of the package discounts.

Same with Time Warner, naked internet is about $50 or $60, depending on the speed, sure you can get "barely faster than dial-up" internet for less, but is it going to allow you to stream without constant buffer?

Triple play from Time Warner is $89/month for a year, with a $200 gift card. When you take into account the gift card, it comes out to $73/month for all 3 services.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #5 of 6 Old 05-03-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Wouldn't Hulu Plus possibly be a better alternative to streaming than Vudu depending on which shows/channels you want content from? $60 + $7.99? Streaming can be more or less depending on what content you are trying to get access to.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-03-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Yeah, it depends on the content. Hulu or Netflix can offer a lot for their monthly price, if the shows on there are what you want to see. Netflix also has some unique content (House of Cards, etc.) Vudu would be comparatively expensive if they overlap with Netflix/Hulu due to the nature of a la carte pricing vs buffet, but some of their content is either unique or similar to Amazon's or iTunes pay as you go prices.

I've been in the same boat evaluating the price of cable TV/internet vs internet/streams. But I've also gone past any introductory pricing and they don't give as many discounts to long term customers.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page