Comcast Cable SPlitter Question-HELP! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-10-2013, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there. Noobie here but a long time reader.

here is the deal...i have basic cable with the tiny, little 3 inch box in my office to just get basic tv channels and cable channels from comcast. so, for example, i do get ESPN and local cable channels.

a coworkers office across the hall has comcast's scientific atlantic box and gets more advanced channels like MLB network which is the main reason i want to get his channels.

i have never done this before but was told if I buy a two way splitter..I got a 2-way splitter digital pro from wal mart for $8 (see here: http://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-Digital-2-Way-Splitter/16561365) and connected via another coax cable to my TV then I could see all his channels from his box but whatever he decided to watch or change the channel to would be displayed on my tv. i have no problem with this set up.

when I set it up his tv worked as normal with all channels but mine had a multi colored error screen and when I flipped to other channels nothing was displayed.

here was the process: bought 100 foot coax cable. plugged into back of my TV. ran it through ceiling tiles (roughly 80ft total i'd estimate) and plugged into one of the two OUT connectors on the splitter. on the other OUT connector of the splitter I have a coax cable to the CABLE OUT connector on the cable box. the CABLE in connector on the cable box is a coax to the back of his tv.

I have a feeling I am not doing this right and have the connections mixed up but am confused as to why he gets all channels on his TV and i get nothing.

any help would be appreciated. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-10-2013, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
It needs to be from his box to the IN of the splitter, with one OUT going to his TV and the other OUT going to yours. Don't be surprised if yours is a bit on the fuzzy side as those boxes typically don't put out enough signal to run through a 2-way splitter and 100' of cable. If you need, just a cheap amp on the cable going to your TV only would take care of that.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-10-2013, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Ok. Which portion of his box needs to be going to the IN of splitter? Cable In or cable out portion?

And what amp do I need to buy? Can u please explain further about that so picture isnt fuzzy?
post #4 of 10 Old 05-10-2013, 04:08 PM

Liked: 11
Have the cable box output connected to the input of splitter the splitters outs to the TV's and TV's tuned to channel 3 or what ever is being put out by cable box. I have had 60' of coax from similar box and had excellent picture.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-11-2013, 04:09 PM

You might want to get a A - B switch to watch your DTA when the other office cable box is not what you want, without having to swap cables. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Cable-TV-Push-Button-A-B-Switch-Cable-Satellite-/221222923955?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3381e9eeb3
post #6 of 10 Old 05-12-2013, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwpl View Post

You might want to get a A - B switch to watch your DTA when the other office cable box is not what you want, without having to swap cables. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Cable-TV-Push-Button-A-B-Switch-Cable-Satellite-/221222923955?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3381e9eeb3
Good suggestion!

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-13-2013, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
What kind of office is this where there are cable boxes? If it is for work, then have work rent you your own cable box.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #8 of 10 Old 05-13-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 305
What job do you have that you and your co-workers have the time to watch TV while "working"? smile.gif
post #9 of 10 Old 05-13-2013, 02:25 PM

More importantly are there any openings.
egnlsn likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-13-2013, 04:22 PM

You could also eliminate the splitter (and it's loss) by using composite connections in office with cable box.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page