Vedrizon coax splitter problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-15-2013, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I believe I have a splitter problem, I called Verizon and asked for a new splitter which they are sending me, however the new one will be a 4 way instead of the 3 way I have now.

I currently have a PDI 3WMS-5, balanced at -6db each leg and 5 - 1000mhz., I have termination end caps for the open leg, if the new splitter is balanced then there is no questions as to how to connect what.

I have 1 - HD TV, 1 - SD TV and 1 Actiontec router connected, the 2 tv's have about 15 ft. of coax each connected, the router has about 50 ft. of coax connected.

If the new Verizon splitter comes unbalanced, how should I make the connections ?

OR, should I get multiple splitters to take advantage of the lower db loss ?

I do not understand everything I know about this subject and any help will be appreciated !!!!

Thanks

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-17-2013, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
From your description, it sounds like you are using only 2 of the 3 legs of the splitter. If so, replace it with a 2-way splitter. You'll gain ~2.5dB on each leg. 4-way splitters lose ~7dB on each leg, so installing it will cost you ~1dB. If you do stick with the 4-way, be sure to terminate the unused ports.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-17-2013, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

@ egnsln, Thanks for the reply, I received the new splitter from Verizon yesterday and can be more specific now.

I am using all three legs of the 3 way splitter, one to ea. tv and one to the router - right now the 3 way splitter (old one) is working but every once in a while it will drop a couple of HD channels, after some trouble shooting I narrowed the problem down to the splitter (I think rolleyes.gif)

New splitter from Verizon is a PDI-4WWB-2.0, balanced @ -7.5db each leg, 5 - 1675mhz, MoCA 2.0, 4 way splitter.

Do you see any problem using this new splitter, I know there is a little bit more of a loss ( -1.5db) on each leg over the old splitter -

Thanks

Joe
post #4 of 8 Old 05-17-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I don't see why there would be a problem using it. As long as everything works as it should, it should be fine. If the drop in signal strength proves to be too much, get a good drop amp. I know one made by a major CATV manufacturer that's only $30.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-17-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 260
.... or call Verizon to resolve the issue. That's what you pay for, smile.gif
post #6 of 8 Old 05-25-2013, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

OK, I could use a little more help - if I use the new splitter Verizon sent I will have to reroute some coax wires because the physical layout of the new Verizon 4 way splitter is different than what I have now, not a real big deal but just some extra work.

I have found these 2, 3 way splitters which are physically laid out the same as what I have now, and are unbalanced which will give me a little less loss to the Router (longest run), for less than $5, seems like a good idea to me.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/HOLLAND-ELECTRONICS-GHS-3-FC-LI-/33-2190

http://www.cableandwireshop.com/pct_ngnii-3s_1_ghz_3-way_cable_tv_splitter.html

What do you think ??

Thanks

Joe
post #7 of 8 Old 05-25-2013, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Why do you think the splitter is the problem? Splitters are very simple devices with nothing in them prone to failure. And when they do fail, the results are generally not subtle.

The output levels with the new 4-way splitter will be 1.5 dB lower than with the old 3-way splitter. If signal strength is the problem, you will just be making things worse.

Why do you care about loss on the line going to the router? The problem you described was with the TV. Do you have a problem with the router, too?

I think Ratman has the right idea. Call Verizon and make them fix the problem.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-07-2013, 03:11 AM

It's possible that the reason why he is concerned is due to MoCA that the router and set top boxes all use and a super long run to the router from the set top boxes could cause problems with the speed of the connection which then causes performance problems for On Demand and electronic guide data retrieval.

Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of my employer or its associated companies.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page