RG-6/U cable versus RG-6/UQ cable? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-21-2013, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Newbie here. I need to rewire the entire house and was wondering if it would be smart if I used RG-6/UQ (the quad shield stuff) throughout the house versus the regular RG-6/U?

If the quad shield does keep signals strong and without interference better, I'll use it!

Next, I'd need a brand recommendation so that I'm really getting what I am paying for. For example, does Lowes or RadioShack's RG-6/UQ cable perform very poorly???

Lastly, in the past, I've used mainly the "fold back the shielding strands and screw on the connector" type of connector. Crummy, right? What is a really awesome kit for installing the correct connectors on RG-6 and RG-6/UQ?

My cable installer used Digicon DS6 02-08 connectors.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-21-2013, 09:03 AM

Liked: 32
Yes, quad would be my preference...
post #3 of 7 Old 05-21-2013, 09:04 AM

Liked: 32
Look at ebay for cable deals. Solid copper center is preferable, tho CCS (copper clad steel) works as well at a slight lower cost.

Fittings...get compression fittings...
post #4 of 7 Old 05-21-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi8-XR-User View Post

...would be smart if I used RG-6/UQ (the quad shield stuff) throughout the house versus the regular RG-6/U?
Depends on what you mean by regular. There are many, many varieties of RG-6/U type cable and performance is all over the place. It is really hard to compare unless you give brand and part number.
Quote:
If the quad shield does keep signals strong and without interference better...
The typical quad shield will be less susceptible to interference than the typical "regular" RG-6/U sold in big box stores. The former has two braided aluminum shield, typically one with 40% coverage and one with 60% for a total of 76% coverage, and two 100% foil shields. The latter typically has a single 60% braided aluminum shield and one foil shield. That said, the "regular" RG-6/U may be all you need. And it is easier to work with.
Quote:
I'd need a brand recommendation so that I'm really getting what I am paying for
If you are really concerned about interference, Belden 1694a significantly outperforms quad shield at RF frequencies. It has a 95% copper braid and 100% foil. It costs about three times as much, too.

Screw on connectors don't work very well. The way to go today is compression connectors. There are made by lots of manufacturers. Just make sure that the connectors work with the tool you buy, and fit the cable you are using. Not all connectors fit all cable. The connector manufacturers have cross references for name brand cable. If you buy Chinese crap off eBay or Amazon, you will be on your own.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-22-2013, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The only time quad-shield cable is recommended is if you are close to transmitting towers or in a large, metropolitan area. In most cases, regular dual-shield cable is just fine. Or, you could go with tri-shield cable and get some additional shielding with a cable that is not as rigid as quad.

For brands, I would try and go with Times Fiber, CommScope, or Belden.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-22-2013, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 225
For what its worth the loss of many quad cables is higher than standard and the VOP is lower. I'd stick with 'standard' brand-name RG-6.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Just as big an idea thief as)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-24-2013, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 67
Look no further than Belden 7915A tri-shield. Great cable at a very good price.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page