post #451 of 520 Old 04-16-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

No HD charge here...I have 2 cable cards too!

Thank you for confirmation that there is no HD service charge with CableCARD rental.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 520 Old 04-16-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

Thank you for confirmation that there is no HD service charge with CableCARD rental.
Depending on the provider and perhaps the area. wink.gif
post #453 of 520 Old 04-16-2014, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Depending on the provider and perhaps the area. wink.gif

I used to say "all cable is local" but stopped after confusing too many people. BTW, isn't all XFINITY HD? I can't get it, and the dozens of websites are very confusing. Most don't mention HD at all.

And yes, I pay extra for HD and pay for two cable cards.

post #454 of 520 Old 04-16-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

I used to say "all cable is local" but stopped after confusing too many people. BTW, isn't all XFINITY HD? I can't get it, and the dozens of websites are very confusing. Most don't mention HD at all.

And yes, I pay extra for HD and pay for two cable cards.
XFinity is Comcast. Xfinity is an advertising term used by Comcast. AFAIK, it doesn't mean "all HD".
And as stated... Comcast (XFinity) in a particular location (yours?) may have different offerings/pricing than the Comcast headend 10 miles away (or in some situations.. 10 blocks).
Quote:
Essentially a re-branding of Comcast’s current triple-play service for bundled Internet, telephone and TV services, but with some major upgrades to what the package will provide. As for the name, according to the official FAQ, it is defined as “XFINITY stands for infinite content choices (the “infinity”) and cross-platform features (that’s the “X”)”
post #455 of 520 Old 04-16-2014, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

XFinity is Comcast. Xfinity is an advertising term used by Comcast. AFAIK, it doesn't mean "all HD".
And as stated... Comcast (XFinity) in a particular location (yours?) may have different offerings/pricing than the Comcast headend 10 miles away (or in some situations.. 10 blocks).

I have a small cable company (http://www.secv.com) that has about 6 offices from central PA to central NJ. Each office has their own set of services and prices. Comcast is nearby, but there is no overlap. I get fiber except for the last mile. They started last year to remove their drops & h/w if you dropped service. We are losing to dish since nobody reads the fine print.

I get HD basic cable, 5/1 internet and two cards for $106 a month. I feel it's fair and the quality is good. I still get 140 clear QAM channels with the dozen "locals" in HD.

post #456 of 520 Old 04-16-2014, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for the images from the Comcast bill.

I'll have to call Comcast and see if I can get that HD Technology fee removed.

IMX, some CSR's know what they're doing, and others don't. Over time, I've been told by different reps that I'm paying too little for my service and too much. I'd be more confident if I got consistent answers, and Comcast's fee schedule isn't a model of clarity so I suspect that confusion (obfuscation?) carries over to the reps.

It's a lot like dealing with the IRS.
post #457 of 520 Old 04-16-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 209
AFAIK the HD is free with a CableCard unless you also have an HD set top box.
post #458 of 520 Old 04-17-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

There is no confirmation, as has been said many times here and elsewhere Comcast card billing is all over the map. Some get the HD fee even if all they have are cards, some don't. Some pay outlet fees for extra cards, some don't. Some get cards for free, etc.

There is no one single answer about how you're going to be billed for cards on Comcast, it entirely depends on your area and how lucky you get with a rep. And all of it is an FCC violation of the card rules (which mandate uniform card rental), but people have complained and just get apologies and excuses from Comcast.
TeflonSoul likes this.
post #459 of 520 Old 04-17-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

And Comcast is not the only "devil" in the game. All providers are guilty.
phildaant likes this.
post #460 of 520 Old 04-17-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:

And Comcast is not the only "devil" in the game. All providers are guilty.
Same for non-cable companies these days. frown.gif
post #461 of 520 Old 05-06-2014, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Comcast is encrypting the channels in Bowie, Maryland starting June 3, 2014. Supposedly I can get two adapters for my digital TVs to continue getting the local channels. We just got the notice in the mail yesterday.

I ahve one of those nice Magnavox boxes and had been using that to record clear QAM (mostly WETA-UK a PBS British show station). It has a nice signal. Anyone here have one of these type boxes? Comcast offers both standard and HD adapters, I am thinking that if I was able to use the HD QAM signal before I should be able to sue the signal from the HD adapter, but I'd like to have confirmation. I posted a question in that thread as well, but haven't seen a useful reply.
post #462 of 520 Old 05-06-2014, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottenst View Post

Comcast is encrypting the channels in Bowie, Maryland starting June 3, 2014. Supposedly I can get two adapters for my digital TVs to continue getting the local channels. We just got the notice in the mail yesterday.

I ahve one of those nice Magnavox boxes and had been using that to record clear QAM (mostly WETA-UK a PBS British show station). It has a nice signal. Anyone here have one of these type boxes? Comcast offers both standard and HD adapters, I am thinking that if I was able to use the HD QAM signal before I should be able to sue the signal from the HD adapter, but I'd like to have confirmation. I posted a question in that thread as well, but haven't seen a useful reply.

I saw your post but due to lack of details I refrained from a reply.

Can you still use the Magnavox? It depends. The Mag is SD 480i and you would only record channels currently selected by the box. Does the box have composite output slaved to the HDMI? If not, you're screwed.

I assume you have decided to get the HD box from Comcast. That shouldn't affect the composite output. You might call your local office to see what make & model box they will be giving you.

Another factor is your viewing habits. If you watch a lot of live TV sometimes SD is good enough on a smaller set. On a larger TV you will not like the SD quality.

There is no simple answer, sorry. BTW, I have a 2160A and a 515H.

post #463 of 520 Old 05-06-2014, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I saw your post but due to lack of details I refrained from a reply.

Can you still use the Magnavox? It depends. The Mag is SD 480i and you would only record channels currently selected by the box. Does the box have composite output slaved to the HDMI? If not, you're screwed.

I assume you have decided to get the HD box from Comcast. That shouldn't affect the composite output. You might call your local office to see what make & model box they will be giving you.

Another factor is your viewing habits. If you watch a lot of live TV sometimes SD is good enough on a smaller set. On a larger TV you will not like the SD quality.

There is no simple answer, sorry. BTW, I have a 2160A and a 515H.
I just got the notice in the mail yesterday, so I am only doing research right now, but I am leaning to asking for the HD adapters.

It looks like Comcast is probably going to be supplying the box demonstrated in their installation video - it appears to have both an HDMI output which is not going to do me any good except for going directly to an HDTV and an RF coax output which I presume would need to use to go to the Mag.

At least for the connection to the Mag I mainly use it for recording for later viewing. I have another larger HDTV which I'll need one of these adapters for live viewing.

By the way - my Magnavox is the H2160MW9 version.
post #464 of 520 Old 05-06-2014, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 105

In the past when I looked up the specs on various boxes, the "RF Out" from the Comcast boxes have been NTSC (analog) channel 3 or 4. Does your Mag have an analog tuner?

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #465 of 520 Old 05-06-2014, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post

In the past when I looked up the specs on various boxes, the "RF Out" from the Comcast boxes have been NTSC (analog) channel 3 or 4. Does your Mag have an analog tuner?

Sure, but I have never used it. I once had an RNG110 box and it didn't have rf out, only composite RWY).

post #466 of 520 Old 05-07-2014, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Interestingly enough, I just called the Bowie Franchise Authority and gave them a whole bunch of questions to ask Comcast about this change. One matter at issue is they are supposed to first tell the Franchise Authority that they are making such a change. The first the Franchise Authority heard about it is when someone brought the letter from Comcast in today.
post #467 of 520 Old 05-07-2014, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interestingly enough, I just called the Bowie Franchise Authority and gave them a whole bunch of questions to ask Comcast about this change. One matter at issue is they are supposed to first tell the Franchise Authority that they are making such a change. The first the Franchise Authority heard about it is when someone brought the letter from Comcast in today.

Good for you!

post #468 of 520 Old 05-10-2014, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Queens, NY, Time Warner Cable Internet customer here, had about 35 channels including all my locals in HD and SD, few movie channels, and a few "basic" channels that were not OTA all available through my cable line that I use for internet. I had switched to rabbit ears after CBS started getting crippled by terrible QAM signal especially during peak hours.

Today I decided to check out what is out there, and confirmed that All my QAM channels (except for what's listed below) are now scrambled.

23.1 Nick@Nite HD
125.8 NY1 SD
132.2941 (Some TV Show is on, not sure which channel)
134.2930 FOX5 SD

This sucks.
Do you guys know any good outdoor antennas at reasonable price that I can put on my roof?

No More Cable Box
Time Warner Cable NYC | ATI OCUR Cable Card Tuner | Windows Media Center 7 | Cisco STA1520 Tuning Adapter | HDHomeRun Dual | Unlimited Possibilities & Customization
KDL52W4100TV
post #469 of 520 Old 05-10-2014, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyedipin View Post

Queens, NY, Time Warner Cable Internet customer here, had about 35 channels including all my locals in HD and SD, few movie channels, and a few "basic" channels that were not OTA all available through my cable line that I use for internet. I had switched to rabbit ears after CBS started getting crippled by terrible QAM signal especially during peak hours.

Today I decided to check out what is out there, and confirmed that All my QAM channels (except for what's listed below) are now scrambled.

23.1 Nick@Nite HD
125.8 NY1 SD
132.2941 (Some TV Show is on, not sure which channel)
134.2930 FOX5 SD

This sucks.
Do you guys know any good outdoor antennas at reasonable price that I can put on my roof?
http://www.tvfool.com/ first. wink.gif
hyedipin likes this.
post #470 of 520 Old 05-12-2014, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

http://www.tvfool.com/ first. wink.gif

Awesome, I have been looking for a site like that for years, I was using SiliconDust's http://www.hdhomerun.com/support/channels/ in order to figure out what others are getting, but this is actually so much better. I can even look into adding missing channels those that my tuner may have missed.

By the way, I went up to the roof, there were already 3 antennas up there, two really big ones, and one small one. That really big ones were knocked over by the wing from the roots of their masts (they were secured to the chimney!) and I saw another one that was mounted with wire on top of some hardware still standing tall with old flat cable. Just walked over to my RadioShack and picked up one of those 75 to 300 converters, ghetto fixed it by stripping the flat wire and wrapping them around the converter and finishing off with electrical tape.
I am getting about 90 channels with half of them not worth watching, but hey, at least I won't have shuddering or pixelated terribleness that I was having with my indoor antenna.

No More Cable Box
Time Warner Cable NYC | ATI OCUR Cable Card Tuner | Windows Media Center 7 | Cisco STA1520 Tuning Adapter | HDHomeRun Dual | Unlimited Possibilities & Customization
KDL52W4100TV
post #471 of 520 Old 05-15-2014, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

It is getting closer to scramble day. I picked up 2 universal digital transport adapters. I love the first line there "we're enhancing our network so you will have access to a new level of entertainment so you can enjoy it your way." The way I want to enjoy it is without plugging another device in.

Anyway, when I got the devices I realized that I am already using the two HDMI inputs on my TVs. I guess I am either going to need to continually plug & unplug the connections or get A/B switches. Does anyone have a recommendation on an HDMI A/B switch? Thanks.
TeflonSoul likes this.
post #472 of 520 Old 05-15-2014, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is getting closer to scramble day. I picked up 2 universal digital transport adapters. I love the first line there "we're enhancing our network so you will have access to a new level of entertainment so you can enjoy it your way." The way I want to enjoy it is without plugging another device in.

Anyway, when I got the devices I realized that I am already using the two HDMI inputs on my TVs. I guess I am either going to need to continually plug & unplug the connections or get A/B switches. Does anyone have a recommendation on an HDMI A/B switch? Thanks.

KISS. I used a Monoprice HDS-201. It's manual. Link to Monoprice is below. Good place to buy cables too.

post #473 of 520 Old 05-15-2014, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

KISS. I used a Monoprice HDS-201. It's manual. Link to Monoprice is below. Good place to buy cables too.
Thanks. My first searches came up with loads of powered switches. This looks the way to go.
post #474 of 520 Old 05-28-2014, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

My order from Monoprice has arrived. So, assuming that Comcast does encrypt next week, I am more prepared to adapt. Thanks.
phildaant likes this.
post #475 of 520 Old 05-28-2014, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My order from Monoprice has arrived. So, assuming that Comcast does encrypt next week, I am more prepared to adapt. Thanks.

After things die, and you rescan, I'd be curious if you have any analog channels even if they are blank. When I lost my analog last year my headend left five analog channels with color bars. I figure they don't have equipment that can test the signal level or quality of a digital channel. I'm glad they did since it's a good way to find a bad cable.

post #476 of 520 Old 06-03-2014, 03:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

After things die, and you rescan, I'd be curious if you have any analog channels even if they are blank. When I lost my analog last year my headend left five analog channels with color bars. I figure they don't have equipment that can test the signal level or quality of a digital channel. I'm glad they did since it's a good way to find a bad cable.
As promised, Comcast has encrypted most of its channels. A set-top box is needed for all devices. On the analog a few channels have the message that the channels have been switched to digital and you need a device. There is one local channel, 70, that is broadcasting analog. On the digital side, the only unencrypted channel is 110.10. This channel is color bars.
post #477 of 520 Old 06-03-2014, 04:53 AM
Advanced Member

I put in the digital transport device and all the HD channels I was getting through clear QAM are completely gone and I just get the standard definition versions plus digital sub-channels. Using the HDMI connection looks marginally better than the coaxial connection. And I get one more device that is supposed to be on all the time.
post #478 of 520 Old 06-03-2014, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
nottenst, you can view HD versions of all your subscribed channels without paying HD technology fee, if you return the DTA, and then use your own tuner and rent a cablecard ($0 or $1 per month).

Alternatively to get HD versions of your local/authorized channels, you can pay the extra monthly cost for an HD-DTA plus the annoying $10/month HD technology fee.
post #479 of 520 Old 06-03-2014, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tveli View Post

nottenst, you can view HD versions of all your subscribed channels without paying HD technology fee, if you return the DTA, and then use your own tuner and rent a cablecard ($0 or $1 per month).

Alternatively to get HD versions of your local/authorized channels, you can pay the extra monthly cost for an HD-DTA plus the annoying $10/month HD technology fee.
I don't believe my HDTV is equipped to use a cablecard. I'm quite sure that when I was researching HDTVs back when the reviewers were saying how useless cablecards were and how no one would need one.
post #480 of 520 Old 06-03-2014, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't believe my HDTV is equipped to use a cablecard. I'm quite sure that when I was researching HDTVs back when the reviewers were saying how useless cablecards were and how no one would need one.

A few Mitsubishi TV models were made to accept cable cards. There are probably others too. Price varies. Mine are $2.95 a month each. I had to reexamine my viewing & recording habits a while ago when I retired. I found I was paying $20 a month just for the one channel in a certain tier. I found 90% of my recording was on the broadcast networks also. I just got a price increase BTW. My zipcode can be plugged into rabbitears or other sire and most say I can't get any OTA without a 1000' tower.

With two cards, 5Mbs up/1 down, and basic cable is costing me $106/month now. I still use my Sony DHG since my QAM is still clear and I pay for HD service that applies to "locals" and others like A&E, FX, TNT, etc., with the cable cards used with my two TiVos. NOT having Comcast is a real blessing.

A DTA is the bottom when it comes to quality. I hope you can find a solution.

Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page