post #541 of 554 Old 11-19-2014, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Which service providers have it for free and a buck? TWC isn't that cheap. Also, it doesn't do video on demands, has no copy, etc.
I could say "All cable is local", but you know that. You can imagine a way to provide service and, if you look long enough, you can find someone who has that service. It's a big country out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 554 Old 12-03-2014, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Deepest Cut

Looks like I'm going to add myself to the list of the unwashed:
http://www.secv.com/cdocs/LTR-CLU-ENCRY-COMP.pdf
phildaant likes this.
post #543 of 554 Old 12-03-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Looks like I'm going to add myself to the list of the unwashed:
http://www.secv.com/cdocs/LTR-CLU-ENCRY-COMP.pdf
I am pretty sure ALL American cable companies will be doing this. Thanks FCC.
post #544 of 554 Old 12-04-2014, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cable One is going encrypt all qam channels in following areas:
  • North Arizona
  • Duncan, OK
  • Fargo, ND (Bad Driver Problem)
  • Colombus, MS
  • Safford, AZ
  • Altus, OK
  • Grenada, MS
  • Clarksdale, MS
  • Sioux City, IA
  • Pocatello, ID
  • Idaho Falls, ID

Last edited by zim2000; 12-04-2014 at 02:44 PM.
post #545 of 554 Old 12-04-2014, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^^ Wow, that's a lot of DTA units to ship. Any date? My drop (dead) date is 2/10/15. I can get a DTA or two "if I qualify". No indication of what makes me qualify.
post #546 of 554 Old 12-04-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
^^^ Wow, that's a lot of DTA units to ship. Any date? My drop (dead) date is 2/10/15. I can get a DTA or two "if I qualify". No indication of what makes me qualify.
When you call them up and tell them you need to cancel your service because your TVs can't tune their signal anymore I bet they will make sure you qualify.
post #547 of 554 Old 12-05-2014, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The way to qualify for 2 free DTAs is to have limited-basic TV service. (Or "HBO+internet" service)...
Also with that plan the 3rd DTA will be 50 cents per month.

Recently I decide to cancel my "internet+HBO" service recently due to comcast's inability to provide the proper forward/reverse RF gain (aka 'signal level') to support both TV and either my owned docsis-3.0 cable-modem or the new/integrated-services arris cable-modem/etc. (I tested at the 'demarc' point, where the underground cable enters my basement.)

Comcast offered to roll a truck with the caveat that they would charge me if they determined the problem was in my house.
I refused their offer to charge me more money, pointing out that I had previously waived my $100/hour fee for debugging their problems, and would immediately reinstate that fee if they spoke again of charging me more money.
So I decided that life could only be improved by trying DSL service from comcast's one local competitor (perpetually-on-strike Fairpoint Communications).
It's preferable to have no internet service for a while, instead of paying for nonworking service, and spending hours every weekend diagnosing comcast issues.
My comcast bill is $23/month now for limited-basic - cablecard provides HD_DVR service - no HD technology fee required. And I have the 3 (SD) DTAs ...

If Fairpoint DSL doesn't work, then I'll give comcast another chance to hook up service, if they agree that I will pay them nothing for the service until after it works -including not paying anything for the "truck roll" they will likely need in order to set it up with the proper forward/reverse RF gain/signal-levels. I'll gladly their nominal "self-installation/service-bring-up" fee, if they can successfully provide the service again.

TTFN !

Last edited by tveli; 12-08-2014 at 08:40 AM. Reason: mention that 2 free dtas available with internet+HBO service
post #548 of 554 Old 12-05-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Isn't your first cable card free on Comcast, plus you get a small credit for having your own box? Seems like that would be the way to go. I've used cable card for years and saved thousands of dollars while getting every channel I subscribe to without any boxes.
post #549 of 554 Old 12-05-2014, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Isn't your first cable card free on Comcast, plus you get a small credit for having your own box? Seems like that would be the way to go. I've used cable card for years and saved thousands of dollars while getting every channel I subscribe to without any boxes.
Post #541
I can't say it enough.
post #550 of 554 Old 12-06-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Post #541
I can't say it enough.
I don't understand. PPV still works fine with cable card (phone it in). On Demand is completely worthless, so no loss there. How often did you copy programs before cable card? I watch live or record and delete, so no issue there. Seems to me like you're holding a much higher bar for cable card than for what you have today.

For example, today, without cable card, you can record a handful of clear QAM channels and some analog channels, one at a time. You can't record most digital channels at all. With cable card I can record EVERYTHING in full HD on 6 channels simultaneously and watch in every room in my house for $2/month. I'd say that's a huge improvement. I don't need a crappy On Demand service that has virtually no good content and almost nothing in HD when I can HBO-Go and Hulu to my heart's content in full HD and get much more than just promos and stuff nobody would ever want to watch.

In any case it's your service and your money, so do what you like. I'm sticking with cable card and enjoying it.
post #551 of 554 Old 12-06-2014, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I don't understand. PPV still works fine with cable card (phone it in).

In any case it's your service and your money, so do what you like. I'm sticking with cable card and enjoying it.
I guess you're referring to me? If not, skip the rest.

I get 150 digital channels without a cable card. 10 of them are the broadcast channels in HD, the rest are basic cable like TNT, A&E, etc. and they are letterbox unless I play with the wide mode on my TV. I can record, in HD or SD, four channels at once using the Sony DHG which will accept a cable card but I never used one. I will lose that ability on 2/10/15 and have to use my TiVo. I have a Premiere and Roamio, both with a cable card ($3/mo each). I agree, PPV and On Demand have no appeal. My Blu-ray gets 60 apps like Hulu, Vudu, Amazon and Netflix, so I could go that route. My viewing is like yours. I record mostly and only watch live during the week, mostly news not broadcast. My point was that things are different all across the country. One mans free cable card is another's $5/mo cable card. Same with channels, encryption, and digital. All cable is local. Always has been. http://www.secv.com/cdocs/qam_hazl.pdf is what I lose on 2/10. I will miss it and meant no offense.
phildaant likes this.
post #552 of 554 Unread Yesterday, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
I guess you're referring to me? If not, skip the rest.

I get 150 digital channels without a cable card. 10 of them are the broadcast channels in HD, the rest are basic cable like TNT, A&E, etc. and they are letterbox unless I play with the wide mode on my TV.
Stretching the SD signal to fit the screen is not the same as HD signal. Stretched SD is worse than just leaving it letter boxed, IMHO.

Quote:
I can record, in HD or SD, four channels at once using the Sony DHG which will accept a cable card but I never used one. I will lose that ability on 2/10/15 and have to use my TiVo.
Why not put the CableCARD into the Sony?

Quote:
I have a Premiere and Roamio, both with a cable card ($3/mo each). I agree, PPV and On Demand have no appeal.
That's about $1500 worth of equipment if you purchased it with lifetime subscription. If not, then you have to add the $15/month subscription to make them functional.

Quote:
My Blu-ray gets 60 apps like Hulu, Vudu, Amazon and Netflix, so I could go that route.
None of those are free, so you have to add the cost of subscription, and with the move to metered internet, it will only become more expensive to stream in the near future.

Quote:
My viewing is like yours. I record mostly and only watch live during the week, mostly news not broadcast. My point was that things are different all across the country. One mans free cable card is another's $5/mo cable card. Same with channels, encryption, and digital. All cable is local. Always has been. http://www.secv.com/cdocs/qam_hazl.pdf is what I lose on 2/10. I will miss it and meant no offense.

I am the $5/month CableCARD customer (Verizon) for that I get 6 streams in HD on any TV in the house. We also have 6x OTA tuners with an antenna in the attic for a grand total 12 tuners, all in crystal clear HD (not stretched out SD).
HDMI Guy likes this.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #553 of 554 Unread Today, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I had Comcast service in Bellingham, WA and I currently as of Feburary 2014 got channels 2-29 in the unencrypted QAM format on the upstairs Vizio TV (E322VL) and also have a DTA on one analog TV getting Digital Starter (140+) and it would appear they were lying about encryption. Don't know noe because our neighborhood gets free cable from WAVE Broadband and it is ClearQAM...
post #554 of 554 Unread Today, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakec113 View Post
I had Comcast service in Bellingham, WA and I currently as of Feburary 2014 got channels 2-29 in the unencrypted QAM format on the upstairs Vizio TV (E322VL) and also have a DTA on one analog TV getting Digital Starter (140+) and it would appear they were lying about encryption. Don't know noe because our neighborhood gets free cable from WAVE Broadband and it is ClearQAM...
Thanks for the info. You are so lucky. Hope it lasts.
Reply Cable, Digital Cable - Non-HDTV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page